UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Why no Red Skull minimate?

JAG2045

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am all for making a red skull figure. But NO WAY would I put him in a Nazi Outfit, no Arm Bands...nothing even close.

I agree. While I am ambivalent on having a villian action figure feature a swastika, I personally would probably not buy it, as I would not be comfortable displaying it proudly as part of my collection. But Red Skull is not Captain Nazi-the ultimate symbol of bigotry is not necessary to recognize the character. After all, the most identifiable part of him is, not surprisingly, his head being a red skull.

I am all for making a red skull figure. But NO WAY would I put him in a Nazi Outfit, no Arm Bands...nothing even close.

I agree. While I am ambivalent on having a villian action figure feature a swastika, I personally would probably not buy it, as I would not be comfortable displaying it proudly as part of my collection. But Red Skull is not Captain Nazi-the ultimate symbol of bigotry is not necessary to recognize the character. After all, the most identifiable part of him is, not surprisingly, his head being a red skull.

Unfortunately... 'the most indentifiable part of him is....a red skull. A skull is a death's- head & red is the pre-dominant colour (with black) in any Nazi paraphernalia. During WW2 Hitler's elite personal bodyguard , the Schutzstaffel(SS) ,wore the death's-head insignia. The elite within this elite were the Totenkopfverbande( Death's Head Unit) who had sole reponsibility for running the concentration camps .

Swastika or not .......need I go on?

The Red Skull character of course personifies this ,that's why he was created in fiction so that normal people(most of us here ;) ) would loathe him. We don't like him,he's evil,so along comes Cap (he's the good guy)& beats the shit out of him.

Red Skull.....bring him on.

Unfortunately... 'the most indentifiable part of him is....a red skull. A skull is a death's- head & red is the pre-dominant colour (with black) in any Nazi paraphernalia. During WW2 Hitler's elite personal bodyguard , the Schutzstaffel(SS) ,wore the death's-head insignia. The elite within this elite were the Totenkopfverbande( Death's Head Unit) who had sole reponsibility for running the concentration camps .

Swastika or not .......need I go on?

I have been out history-nerded. This is what I get for avoiding all of those History Channel World War II documentaries. Did not know that. My (metaphorical) hat is off to you. Still, unlike the swastika, having a figure with a red death's-head for a head will not generate nearly as much commentary from people outside of comics fandom.

Let me ask you a question if your great grandfather, grandmother, grandfather, etc was murdered by someone, and a while later, they wanted to make a toy about it...you might not be upset? seriously?

I wouldn't think this was too popular at the Tokyo Toy Fair either :down:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW-2-Hiroshima-Nagasak...1QQcmdZViewItem

SO.....

In Summary, We want a Red Skull but we'd prefer a 'modern' one that's dressed in a business suit rather than the older uniformed version?

T.

Goodness no. I'm tired of business suits. Bring on the Nazi garb. I'm somewhat with TM2. Nazis were horrible, yeah, but history has had plenty of types like them. They're just more recent. Same thing with other "close to home" subjects like 9-11 (for USers). My point is we can't let ourselves just ignore the existance of Nazis. Do the Red Skull in his most iconic look.

And I believe TM2 was joking when he said Nazis are great (right?)

SO.....

In Summary, We want a Red Skull but we'd prefer a 'modern' one that's dressed in a business suit rather than the older uniformed version?

T.

Goodness no. I'm tired of business suits. Bring on the Nazi garb. I'm somewhat with TM2. Nazis were horrible, yeah, but history has had plenty of types like them. They're just more recent. Same thing with other "close to home" subjects like 9-11 (for USers). My point is we can't let ourselves just ignore the existance of Nazis. Do the Red Skull in his most iconic look.

And I believe TM2 was joking when he said Nazis are great (right?)

I completely agree. If you're going o make the Red Skull, don't downplay his significance. He was a symbol for the single most evil force ever created on the planet and should be remembered as such. The Skull is much more than Cap and an enemy. He is America v.s. true evil. It needs to be seen that way. not as Cap v.s. random villain. Plus, it would make fo easy WWII soldier customs which I could use very easily.

So, Darkhawk's body and hat with a Swastika is what is needed.

In all honesty, get over it, holy shit. Nobody freaked out when they made a Marvel Legends Red Skull so who the hell cares?

That would be like saying they shouldn't put out anymore Kingpin figures because he came with a cigar hand and tobacco kills people. Or that Wolverine smokes in comics so he shouldn't be made anymore.

In all honesty, get over it, holy shit. Nobody freaked out when they made a Marvel Legends Red Skull so who the hell cares?

That would be like saying they shouldn't put out anymore Kingpin figures because he came with a cigar hand and tobacco kills people. Or that Wolverine smokes in comics so he shouldn't be made anymore.

smoking = nazi yea that's the same thing... :stupid:

"Over the past four decades, cigarette smoking has caused an estimated 12 million deaths, including 4.1 million deaths from cancer, 5.5 million deaths from cardiovascular diseases, 2.1 million deaths from respiratory diseases, and 94,000 infant deaths related to mothers smoking during pregnancy."

"Taking into account all the victims of Nazi persecution, the death toll rises considerably: estimates generally place the total number of victims at nine to 11 million"

Smoking will continue to happen and continue to kill more and more people. The holocaust is over and done with and probably won't kill anymore people ever again.

A kid who would buy a Red Skull Minimate probably wouldn't be influenced by the swastika on his arm band or hat any less than a Kingpin's cigarette would. And it's more likely that he'll grow up to smoke, rather than grow up to be a murderer anyways, so what's the big deal?

Quit being so sensitive about everything.

My only problem was with TM2's bad taste joke. Nazi's are not, never were, and never will be 'Awesome'.

I'd have no problem at all with the red skull in his wwII uniform. The Nazi's were fact, the Holocaust is fact, anyone who tries to deny the evil that was perpetrated is an ignorant bastard or is pursuing a separate agenda. We are talking about a comic-book villain and we need to keep things in context.

So enough with the brickbats guys ok?

I'd have no problem at all with the red skull in his wwII uniform. The Nazi's were fact, the Holocaust is fact, anyone who tries to deny the evil that was perpetrated is an ignorant bastard or is pursuing a separate agenda. We are talking about a comic-book villain and we need to keep things in context.

thaaaaaaaank you. i wasn't agreeing with the Nazi beliefs or the holocaust, I'm just saying, don't give me an inaccurate minimate because people might get sensitive.

thaaaaaaaank you. i wasn't agreeing with the Nazi beliefs or the holocaust, I'm just saying, don't give me an inaccurate minimate because people might get sensitive.

Smoking is a choice,smoking in an incinerator is not. I totally support a full-on 'accurate' Red Skull . I love accuracy Bizklimkit, perhaps you could add the 12 million soldiers who lost there lives on the Russian Front alone, to your woefully inaccurate tally of '11 million casualties'. Oh yeah ,add on the 8 million GERMANS ,yes Germans, who lost their lives ......10 million Chinese...I'll stop there ......I'm sorry its a long depressing list which I AM sensitive about. It is heartening that people here are sensitive about who or what becomes a Minimate but if you bandy statistics around .....get 'em right. ;)

Smoking is a choice,smoking in an incinerator is not. I totally support a full-on 'accurate' Red Skull . I love accuracy Bizklimkit, perhaps you could add the 12 million soldiers who lost there lives on the Russian Front alone, to your woefully inaccurate tally of '11 million casualties'. Oh yeah ,add on the 8 million GERMANS ,yes Germans, who lost their lives ......10 million Chinese...I'll stop there ......I'm sorry its a long depressing list which I AM sensitive about. It is heartening that people here are sensitive about who are what becomes a Minimate but if you bandy statistics around .....get 'em right. ;)

Okay, I really did say enough with the brickbats just for the fun of it. I didn't really mean it at all!

To be honest, I don't even care. I just wanted to argue the other side of the argument. And I got those numbers of of wikipedia and some other site.

I probably wouldn't buy the Red Skill mate anyways.. I haven't bought a minimate since, like, series 2. :-p

So you don't really care and you haven't bought a minimate in year? You just fancied an argument?

In my book that makes you a troll. Please don't do it again.

Haha. So because I haven't bought a minimate in a year, my argument was wrong? I don't care one way or another if they make a Red Skull mate or not, but I'm just saying that people need to lighten up about things.

I understand that tons of people were killed, but like YOU said, it did happen, and I was arguing the point, that you agreed with.

But since I don't buy minimates anymore, I guess we were both wrong, huh?

Haha. So because I haven't bought a minimate in a year, my argument was wrong? I don't care one way or another if they make a Red Skull mate or not, but I'm just saying that people need to lighten up about things.

I understand that tons of people were killed, but like YOU said, it did happen, and I was arguing the point, that you agreed with.

But since I don't buy minimates anymore, I guess we were both wrong, huh?

I have to wonder why you're here if you're no longer a minimate fan?

That though is irrelevant. You stated you don't really care either way, you just wanted to argue the point. That, my friend is trolling. Don't do it again.

Ok, I would like to clear up something here.

This was supposed to be a simple question about why the red skull hasnt been released yet, considering his popularity in the comics.

I didnt want a mass debate over Nazism, and in no way do I endorse or support nazism in any way, shape or form.

Inregards of an actual minimate though, if DST didnt want to make a red skull with nazi symbols etc, couldnt he just be in a basic business suit or what he wore in the animated spider-man series?(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c7/Gauntletofredskull.jpg)

JAG2045

^^^ Perfectly valid statement Jag. I was thinking along the lines of the grey suit as well. My first exposure to the Red Skull was in the pages of Spider-Man when he was behind a plot involving replica's of Spidey's parents. I don't recall him being swastika'ed up in that story.

Please, no more discussions on Nazism the subject is too emotive and as evidenced it's not too long before the discussion becomes heated. We are here to have fun and BS about toys, not history or politics.

Thanks.

He is my top wanted villian too.

I personally want to see Dr. Zoom, Black Adam, and Crime Syndicate baddies the most, but as far as Marvel goes, beyond a Modok (which I'm not sure would work in Minimate form), Red Skull is right up there. He's laughing at me from a Sideshow Collectibles banner as I write! That cruel, cruel bastard!

I wouldnt be suprised if they did skull In his blie and red suit ala the marvel legends face Cap skull 2 pack, as long as we got the head im sure the customs would start to flow.

As for my preference i would prefer the Black SS style of costume like Sideshows new premiuim format statue. My one demand though is that either come with a Cosmic Cube or a hand with one sculpted in it.