UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ken & Blanka 2 pack

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder why the idiom is beating a dead "Horse". I've never beaten a horse to death.. now cats on the other hand.. I mean um er.. I just re-uped my PETA membership and I love all animals. :)

I don't think the term implies beating the horse to death, but rather the horse is already dead, and no amount of beating, poking, or prodding is going to change that fact. So, in essence, digging up the Street Fighter threads in hopes of sparking new life into the line is as futile as beating a dead horse.

I've just logged out of the 'My Little Pony Forum' & needless to say they are coming to terms with the fact that 'White Geldings II' which was cancelled two years ago............. will never see the light of day.

It seems like they are beating a Dead Street Fighter :(

I can just imagine 5 years from now, we'll be talking about Marvel mates wave 47, and someone will say, "Man, they should of released that Ken and Blanka pack!" And we'll all say:

Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

Edited by Iowa

and only hardcore SFers knew who Akuma was.

Akuma's been in every SF/SF cross-over game since Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (except SF3:Next Generation and MvC1, but he was returned in both games sequels/upgrades so that seems a little moot) as well as X-Men:Children of the Atom and Cyberbots... He's hidden in most of those games, sure, but it's not like in this internet age only the 'super elite' fans know hitting up select screen or beating the game once will unlock him.

To say only 'hardcore' SFers know who he is to say the 'normal' SF fan stopped playing at Super Street Fighter 2 and then avoided every SF game since except the first SF3, and the only Marvel fighter they played was either Marvel Vs Capcom 1 or Marvel Superheroes or not made by Capcom.

Akuma is a VERY well known and popular character... I'd be far more shocked to met someone who considers themself a fan of SF enough to pick up any merchandise NOT knowing who Akuma is (especially NECA, SOTA, Toy-Biz, and Resaurus have/are going to sold figures of him in the past)

Edited by dr baghead

not so much as a ripoff of ryu/ken and especially dan, since akuma was in the game before dan, anyway he was the only person to master the dark hadoken and he also has the same moves as ryu,cept alittle diffirent, and thats all i can remember since i just watched street fighter alpha the movie a couple of days ago so yeah...

and i think is one of strongest in the game, though i never play as him..

and only hardcore SFers knew who Akuma was.

To say only 'hardcore' SFers know who he is to say the 'normal' SF fan stopped playing at Super Street Fighter 2 and then avoided every SF game since except the first SF3, and the only Marvel fighter they played was either Marvel Vs Capcom 1 or Marvel Superheroes or not made by Capcom.

I think that's pretty much my definition of hardcore, yes. Someone who's played 5 or 6 SF games and also knows who a "secret" unlockable character is, would definitely qualify as hardcore, at least in my book.

Uh, I only played SFII, and I had no clue who Akuma was. I had no clue who the Darkstalkers were either, so there could be some legitimate claims that the initial line-up was a bit weaker than it should have been. Toss Akuma for Ken and you'd have had a stronger line-up. I understand if its a cross license with Darkstalkers then you can't shun the entire first wave of them, but considering I only recognized three of the seven characters, it would have been beneficial to either pair each of the SF crowd with a Darkstalker or give us a strong showing of characters we recognize. That establishes the line and allows for a second series.

No, the first wave we got was targeted towards hardcore fans, who unfortunately couldn't be bothered to seek these out in the seven retail locations that carried it. By the time the (sub-par) box sets rolled out, interest was already dropping pretty quick. Of course, if the first two waves could have been released together like most Marvel waves, we might be telling a different story.

I totally appreciate the phenomenon of video games but I'm afraid I've never been that involved with them. This probably helps in my view on SF Mates & to be honest if you laid them all out in front of me ,out of their packs, they'd all look the same to me ! Metal Gear Solid is yet another 'unknown' to me but I am totally aware who is who & my MGS kubricks each look distinctively different.

I am not saying that SF was a bad line but I don't want any more obscure WhoTF characters.

Even if Akuma is well known (and I believe that he is to a certain extent), he is certainly not as well known or iconic as the original 8 Street Fighters. Nor are the Dark Stalkers, obviously, although there was a lot of potential there for some really interesting-looking Minimates. I think it would have made some sense to include a Ken, Blanka, and Dhalsim w/Reed Richards arms, for instance, along with Ryu, Chun-Li and Bison, and then slowly begin to include the more obscure characters as the line went on. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but I would hope that DST could learn from experiences such as these.

Of course, if they knew that a line was going to be a hit, then it would make sense to drag things out a bit, but. . .

Edited by karamazov80

Who's Akuma?

He's a lame Ryu/Ken/Dan rip-off.

Nooo... Hes a boss character. More of an enhancement.

Uh, I only played SFII, and I had no clue who Akuma was.

that's not a "moderate" Street Figter fan, that's "I played the game once and then ignored the series"... by this logic a "moderate" Spider-man fan can call Venom an "obscure" character since they only read Stan Lee's run. Do you know Cammy and Fei Long and what not? or are they also "hardcore" since they're in Super SF2

Cammy's different because as only the second female in SF2 she got a shitload of publicity and hype. I would definitely argue she'd be more well-known than Akuma.

I second that. Cammy I'm aware of. Heck, even some of the other expanded characters I'm aware of from the SFII animated movie and the somewhat horrible SF live action one. Akuma, I never heard of until he was a Minimate.

I still think Akuma was a good choice, a little branch into other less known characters. The darkstalkers was a bad idea, they should of replaced them with cammy and dhalsim. I dont think it would of been right to put ken or dan into the 1st wave with ryu since they we a head swap and costume color change, akuma was fin since he had that belt and beads and such.

Cammy's different because as only the second female in SF2 she got a shitload of publicity and hype. I would definitely argue she'd be more well-known than Akuma.

Cammy is different in that she's female, yes. There's a HUGE amount of Cammy product avalible almost solely because of this... she's more popular then Akuma by far. But what about Fei Long, Dee Jay, and T.Hawk, they weren't in SF2 and are only slightly older then Akuma (Akuma was introduced into Arcades around the time SSF2 hit the Super Nintendo) so at what window does the "moderate" window close for SF fandom and "hardcore" open?

But this discussion has shown me anyway why SF minimates never took off.

"hardcore" Street Fighter fans hate it when only the original 8+Bosses get used for a product (SF4 gathered TONS of hatred when first announced because it decided to be SF2+ 4 new guys) and if they weren't into minimates and wanted an SF line they had SOTA so there was no need to get into minimates. If you like minimates but haven't followed Street Fighter for 15 years then a lot of the newer more unique characters are going to be passed up (it'd be like saying "we don't need a 'Deadpool' minimate if it's not Stan Lee era it's not iconic enough for people to want it!) and if you don't know who Akuma is and weren't into minimates to be begin with you'd never know SF minimates excised to begin with, let alone find a reason to purchase them.

So SF minimates were for the very small niche of minimate fans who actually played a non-SF2 Street Figter and that's why they failed.... hell, let's blame the Darkstalkers too, since really people only know Morigan and Felicia (because of fan service products and the fact they made into the MvC games) any male DS character is action figure poison.

I totally agree with you, Dr. :D

• 1 month later...