UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Speed Racer Minimates???

So I just got the two packs of Speed Racer and X and I love em. Any news on future series or is this it? There aren't a ton of mates they could do, but they could at least make a trixie mate or something?

Edited by Reideen1313
Merged topics and updated title

Originally, there were to be a couple more figures made, both Trixie and some other villainous looking guy, along with future Speed and future Racer X (who were repaints of the two we'd already gotten, with the exact same two vehicles) But the lackluster response to the first wave, which was understandable considering you got essentially a blank minimate with an out of scale car, these things have been shelved. DST has pretty much said as much, when they said in a recent Q&A that the AA solo projects were put to bed when they merged with DST.

Weren't they supposed to have a new cartoon series? I thought that AA was involved with it somehow, and that's why we were getting the Minimates.

• 2 weeks later...

True, but my local Borders (and others in the state of IL) have started filling up on 'Racer mates (7.99 for the mates w/car) and die-cast (The AA ones), I think to coincide with the movie. Isn't it possible for DST/AA to make more, especially since (correct me if I'm wrong) the license has yet to expire and is "on hold indefinitely"?

(I hope this isn't thread necro, but I was about to make a new topic and then saw this one, :)

• 2 weeks later...

To add what I found out...... Mattel is making toys for the speed racer movie. All kinds of hot wheel sets. The Speed Racer movie will prob be under a different contract if DST wants to make them. Anyway, just though tI would share the good or sad news.

• 4 weeks later...

LEGO Group will produce four constructible racing playsets under its LEGO Racers brand, scheduled to race onto store shelves in April 2008, and ranging in price from $19.99 to $59.99 USD. Builders and collectors alike will appreciate the inclusion of multiple authentic racers in each set for head-to-head racing and building fun. Many of the Speed Racer characters also will come to life in LEGO minifigure form, including Speed, Racer X, Trixie, Spritle, Chim-Chim, Mom and Pops Racer, Taejo Togokhan, Snake Oiler, Gray Ghost and Cruncher Block.

Yeah, this line has been dead for a while now. It was an interesting try, but they just didn't put the right amount of resources into it to make it a success, from the poorly scaled cars to the heavy part reuse. Of course, putting them out there when Speed Racer was the last thing on anyone's mind didn't help either. With the new movie coming out, now would have been the time to strike, but alas, you know what they say about hindsight being 20/20.

That seemed to be the thing with all the licenses that AA themselves were able to snag/attract towards the end, both in size of licenses and the resources that either party could devote to them.

Not that it would have likely been an issue regardless. LEGO Spidey and Marvel Minimates co-existed for years, just as LEGO Batman and DCD Minimates are doing now. LEGO is an excellent company. I doubt they'd be the cause for Minimates licensing to be restricted. Hell, the C3 Batman stuff was part of the inspiration for the Batman LEGO line.

SR just went the way of LOTR and SFII unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

For all you Speed Racer junkies...

Hot Wheels just rolled out some vehicles in the 1:64 scale as well as a larger Mach 5 that is designed for a 3" Speed... It looks about 1:24 scale and might pass for mates... the interior seating arrangement should allow for Speed and one other mate, though the seatbelts may need a little tweak.

It has some opening panels and a shooting something-or-other. Quality is about the same as the AA Speed (colored plastic w/ decals & paint. It's not the BTTF Die Cast DeLorean, but it might be a better substitute than the Mach 5 that came with the mates. They have that yellow car too.

I saw these at Walmart - no pricing on the shelves yet. Here's a couple links to auctions that have OK pics

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPEED-RACER-2008-MOVIE...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-hot-wheels-SPEED-R...1QQcmdZViewItem