UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Book talk

616commando

Has anyone read the book The Lincoln Lawyer? I had the honor of working an author signing with the writer, Michael Connelly, yesterday and he talked about how it'll be a movie next year. We also talked about how I might read one book a year (if that) and how he thought I should read Lincoln Lawyer before he comes back to my work next spring. If anyone has read it, is it a book I can easily get into?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a gift card to Barnes & Noble for my birthday, and I managed to get a killer deal. I bought "Night of the Living Dead" for $4.99, "Dawn of the Dead" for $10.00, and I finally got my hands on H.P. Lovecraft's "At The Mountains of Madness". I have not been able to put it down since I started reading. It is a magnificent book, filled with an amazing mythology. I look forward to reading more Lovecraft soon, but don't know where to start; any suggestions?

I'm on a re-read of Deathly Hallows for the movie coming out soon. And I also dabbled a bit in Agatha Christie with And Then There Were None as my college's drama club is doing a production of it and I'm in it. Figured I'd know my source material. It's a great mystery even if you know who the killer is. Good characters.

Got my copy of Band of Brothers signed by some of the guys the book is about and I'm probably gonna get the Dresden short story collection, Side Jobs, soon.

Edited by Trekker 42

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked this up as a gift. Some pretty scary stuff in here. We can only hope that it doesn't come to this.

SDC12835-1.jpg

SDC12837.jpg

SDC12838.jpg

SDC12839.jpg

Herbert West - Reanimator has to be one of the best short stories I've ever read.

Definitely one of the best horror movies of the mid-80s, anyway.

• 7 months later...

Go out and buy "Robopocalypse". Author has his Ph.D. in Robotics and has written a masterpiece. This is what real warfare against the machines will look like. Goodbye Skynet, hello Archos. Spielberg has reportedly already committed to direct the movie adaptation.

Edited by Jatta Pake

Part of me wishes that series ended at Wizard and Glass. Even though it was a prequel, it was the best of the series. The Gunslinger still holds a special place in my heart though...

Books 5-7 just felt very different from the rest of the series.

Still, DT is easily one of the most under-appreciated series ever written by a best-selling author.

Thankee-sai

Little Brother by Cory Doctrow was awesome. Well written and engaging. A high school hacker is considered an enemy of the state after a terrorist attack on San Francisco.

I also couldn't put down the Chrestomanci Chronicles by Diana Wynne Jones (who also wrote Howl's Moving Castle). Chrestomanci is the title of the person, a nine-lifed enchanter, who governs over magic use across the multiple realms. Outstanding collection by the author who inspired and mentored Neil Gaiman.

After hearing about the HBO series Game of Thrones, I went out and got A Song of Ice and Fire. I really like this series so far.

Strangely enough, I don't like the HBO series based on it... Danny would. But I think it's just too many boobs and not enough of the great story the book tells. They have to cut a lot, but if they cooled down on the boobs and focused only on the boobs direct from the book, they'd have a better series for it.

Too many boobs? I see what you're saying, but I've enjoyed the show for what it is. :whistling: I started A Dance with Dragons last night. I'm only a few chapters in, so I can't say much other than I am looking forward to reading more.

I just finished the Hunger Games trilogy. It was well worth the read. There were some awkward areas, but I enjoyed it even though I really didn't like the main character much at all.

Part of me wishes that series ended at Wizard and Glass. Even though it was a prequel, it was the best of the series. The Gunslinger still holds a special place in my heart though...

Books 5-7 just felt very different from the rest of the series.

Still, DT is easily one of the most under-appreciated series ever written by a best-selling author.

Thankee-sai

Agreed. I don't think that King put the same amount of effort into them. He had his accident, and then he became terrified that he would die before finishing the series, so he cranked out the last 3 in record time. I absolutely love Books 1-4. Books 5 and 6 were hard to get through. Book 7 redeemed itself a little bit.

Did you know he is releasing a new DT book that takes place in between books 4 and 5?

• 1 month later...

I just read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It was awesome. I burned through it it 2 days. I have not been that engulfed by a book since Deathly Hallows came out. It's so geeky and filled with pop culture references. Great book. Looking forward to the movie.

The Lonely Polygamist by someone who's name I cannot remember. A polygamist has an affair on his 4 wifes, his youngest wife is the only one who wants to be a plural wife but she can't have a baby, and an 11 year old son had a crush on his step-mom.

Boring, pointless and about 400 pages longer than it needed to be. The scene where the youngest wife gets her step-son off in the hospital bed while half his face is missing, and a nurse indicates that she'd never seen anyone as well hung as the boy in her 20 years experience, lead me to seriously question the lucidity of the author.

Avoid at all costs.

I have read and really really enjoyed the three Monster Huntre books by Larry Correia. Monster Hunter International, Vendetta, and Alpha. These are great reads and I love the characters and story. If you like monster stuff than I am fairly certain you will love these books.

I also just finished reading the 8th book in the Fate of the Jedi series, Ascension. I love Star Wars stuff so of course I enjoyed this one but I am bummed that the 9th book isn't set to come out til April next year!!! I have liked the Lost Tribe of the Sith e-books that have been released that tie into this series and I really like the new character Vestara.

I really enjoy Vestra too. I was thinking how much Lucas is out of touch with reality. Luke, a Jedi, married Mara, a bad girl. Ben might marry Vestra. Ben's son married the Imperial agent. Cale has an entire string of bad girls. But who does the Evil Jesus figure that started it all marry? Some snot nosed brat with balloon horses.

I was really happy with Tahari's trial. I totally thought they were going to execute her. I've always had a soft spot for her ever since Anakin died.

I just recently read the original psycho,I loved the movie so I thought id give the book a shot,and it didnt dissapoint,although I knew the twist and everything,it's incredibly descriptive,especially the show scene,which is actully more disgusting and grusome then the actual movie!Definatelly read the book,it's a great buy!

• 9 months later...

I just finished the last SW book, Apocalypse. That is how you end a series.

I cried when the Falcon bought it. I thought it was her last stand. Then Dening brought her back. I thought that cheapened it a bit.

I Also read Flowers in the Attic. I plowed through it in a day.

Did anyone else read either of those two and care to discuss? I'm particularly interested in thoughts on Flowers in the Attic.

Currently I'm somewhere in the middle of A Feast for Crows. And I'm not gonna lie, this may be the single most frustrating Song of Ice and Fire yet. Mostly because I have three favorite characters. Three that I have grown greatly attached to: Tyrion, Jon, and Arya. Only one of them is in this book. And then it added chapters from Cersei's point of view. Normally these would make the character seem less terrible (like it did with Jaime's development throughout his) but NO. SHE'S GOTTEN WORSE! Gah... Can't wait to be done with this one so I can do A Dance with Dragons.

recently read the fault in our stars by John Green and I think it's amazing, instantly my favourite book partly because John Green seems like such an amazing dude and his writing is incredible. I've bought a few of his other books so plan on reading those too at some point.

• 6 months later...

I just read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It was awesome. I burned through it it 2 days. I have not been that engulfed by a book since Deathly Hallows came out. It's so geeky and filled with pop culture references. Great book. Looking forward to the movie.

Just read this one, too. Not one of the greatest books ever written, but very, very cool!

If you grew up in the 80s and you're posting on this forum, you'll might want to give it a try.