UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Where are they? Thread (Marvel)

Rad

One factory making how many different lines? That's a lot of work, especially if one assumes that said factory isn't just manufacturing Minimates.

Then there's demand. There was a time when movie-related series were a sure thing, especially with retailers. Now, not so much. I suppose it started with Ghost Rider but that wasn't entirely unexpected given the B-status of the character. But when TRU passes on Thor: The Dark World? Things don't look good for Days of Future Past either unless The Wolverine series does gangbusters. I can't help wondering about the next Spidey sequel, too.

I tend to think that DST wisely waits as long as they can before deciding on offering movie 'mates that will push back or maybe even replace a comic-based series. Since movie-based series are no longer preferred by TRU, maybe the strategy should be to offer comic-based 'mates that correspond to what's being featured in theatres. That way they'd have had a Silver Samurai in a Wolverine wave, for example. No waiting for assets from the studio. Just do figures based on the same source material.

I'm not saying DST or other companies should stop making movie-based toys. It might be best to wait and see how the film performs and which characters collectors want most before acquiring a license. Obviously movie tie-ins aren't a guarantee of high sell-through.

The toy market seems more volatile than ever and it might be time for DST to play it safe.

I think DST (and all toy companies) would be wise in picking and choosing which movies they make toys for. The perception has always been that movie toys are a slam dunk, but I think that has rarely proven to be true. Both Mattel and Hasbro have gone cheap with their most recent movie toys (Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel, Wolverine and Iron Man 3), after several comic book movie lines were overproduced and sat on pegs. Personally, I agree that using the movie as a springboard for making comics- based figures is the way to go... but I would say that, since I like comic book figures but not movie figures.

As far as Minimates go, I suspect that the Wolverine Minimates will be hitting retail way too late, as the movie will be a distant memory in pop culture terms by the time they are available. A Wolverine-themed comics wave would seem far less time reliant. On the other hand, that's what DST tried to do with the Cap/Thor joint wave a few years ago, and that didn't seem to be that strong a seller. So who the hell knows....

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[climbing down off the ledge]

thumbsup.gif

*Best Eric Idle voice* Come on Brian, Cheer up!

I'll admit I wouldn't be heart broken to go back to 4 waves, Released in pairs twice a year, with 1-2 Con exclusives as extras... Those were the good old days when getting everything was possible and buying cases of waves you loved was not out of the norm.

T.

[climbing down off the ledge]

thumbsup.gif

*Best Eric Idle voice* Come on Brian, Cheer up!

I'll admit I wouldn't be heart broken to go back to 4 waves, Released in pairs twice a year, with 1-2 Con exclusives as extras... Those were the good old days when getting everything was possible and buying cases of waves you loved was not out of the norm.

T.

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking this way :)

Don't get me wrong, I love getting drowned in a sea of new mates each year, but after a while, it takes its toll. Especially on one's wallet...