UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Where are they? Thread (Marvel)

Rad

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically. That's Boomer, where as Boom Boom is the same person (Tabitha Smith) but from a different series, age design scheme what the crap ever. Where as, the Tabby Minimate I want is, obviously, from Nextwave.

Read about her on Wikipedia

Oh,thanks!!

EDIT: I had read a comic with her(tabitha).

Edited by Kostisfire

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Is there a release date for that wave, or is it out already?

Also, any variant pics? (different hair piece or w/out epaulette, etc.)

Thanks for the info. Probably gonna be a while before it hits here in the islands anyway, but still good to know.

A seller on ebay has her set and the Magma New Mutants sets in a lot, but those are the only sets I've seen out yet.

Ooh... Do you have a link?

Edited by MMao

• 1 month later...

So I've been checking my local TRUs for the MvC3 M.O.D.O.K. minimate for a few months with much disappointment, but after glancing at the last few pages of the MvC3 thread it looks like wave 3 isn't out yet.

Any idea on a release date for these? The Art Asylum blog in January said they would be out in the spring.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Can I just ask: what's going on with Marvel mates in general lately? Waves 50 and 51 got pushed back almost 3 months from the original release date. TRU 16 is almost 3 months late from when it was supposed to show, the TRU fan poll box set is a big question mark...

I'm starting to wonder if the rapid (compared to other licenses) pace of Marvel releases is finally outstripping their ability to sell, and we're about to see a downshift in the number of Marvel releases. In the last few years we've seen five waves each at LCS and TRU per year, pretty evenly split between comic and movie. So far this year we've seen one comic wave and one movie wave each at LCS and TRU and we're almost nine months in.

Assuming 50, 51, and 52 all come out in September/October at LCS, I can see a logjam that's going to push 53 to February/March of next year, and 54 into the summer. Likewise with TRU, I can imagine 16 and Wolvie being it for this year, with 17 next spring and 18 in the summer. So that leaves the question, do releases continue at a 4/4 pace for the rest of next year, with two more waves packed into the fall, or does it get spread out to 3/3, with movies becoming the main focus of the Marvel line?

Chuck's always said he never expected to see Marvel go for 50 waves, and it's already far surpassed any other single Marvel toyline in sheer numbers. It's also a mature license for DST, and I wonder if sales are starting to show there's not much blood left in the turnip... or maybe these are just delusional ramblings brought on by a long summer of waiting for three very anticipated waves... cool.png

It's certainly a good question. After a great start to the year with waves 48/15 the wait for new marvel minimate waves seems to have been the longest ever (I'm not really a big fan of the movie 'mates so wave 49 didn't excite me). I have wondered if there is some kind of shift in emphasis at DST away from Marvel a bit tbh. The other issue to me is that (and I don't have research to back this up so I may be wrong) it feels like the number of retread characters versus new ones is generally on the increase, meaning that it currently feels like fewer releases and then less slots in them for new characters as well. I know that wave 54 bucks that trend and is very welcome but the TRU waves in particular seem to be heading more and more that way. The days of waves like 31 and 32 when there were heaps of new characters now seem to be long gone. I think it was after those waves that DST stopped releasing 2 waves simultaneously and said there would be more frequent single wave releases. Let's hope the current situation is just a fluke and we soon get back to that...

One factory making how many different lines? That's a lot of work, especially if one assumes that said factory isn't just manufacturing Minimates.

Then there's demand. There was a time when movie-related series were a sure thing, especially with retailers. Now, not so much. I suppose it started with Ghost Rider but that wasn't entirely unexpected given the B-status of the character. But when TRU passes on Thor: The Dark World? Things don't look good for Days of Future Past either unless The Wolverine series does gangbusters. I can't help wondering about the next Spidey sequel, too.

I tend to think that DST wisely waits as long as they can before deciding on offering movie 'mates that will push back or maybe even replace a comic-based series. Since movie-based series are no longer preferred by TRU, maybe the strategy should be to offer comic-based 'mates that correspond to what's being featured in theatres. That way they'd have had a Silver Samurai in a Wolverine wave, for example. No waiting for assets from the studio. Just do figures based on the same source material.

I'm not saying DST or other companies should stop making movie-based toys. It might be best to wait and see how the film performs and which characters collectors want most before acquiring a license. Obviously movie tie-ins aren't a guarantee of high sell-through.

The toy market seems more volatile than ever and it might be time for DST to play it safe.