UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

PALz

Seanus

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you guys think of PALz? Do you like them? Hate them? Mildly respect them? Don't have any idea what they are? I almost made this a poll, but thought that would be too complicated. I have seen and played with ONE, Deep Throat from "The X-Files". He's pretty cool, actually, but not nearly as good as Minimates. But, then again, part of the reason I like Minimates so much is that they have lines I actually like. :mellow: I don't watch Die Hard or X-Files. However I do read comics, read LOTR, and have seen Star Trek, etc. What do you guys think of PALz? More importantly, do you have any? :huh:

I've got some, and I think they are OK, but could have been so much better. The plastic used was too brittle, and the elbow joints tend to break way too easily. The accessories included were top notch, as always was the case with Palisades Toys' products. I liked them better than Kubricks, but not nearly as much as Minimates.

I need to get them all together and sell them off on ebay as a lot. Just not interested enough in them to keep them.

Palz were sort of the emphasis for me getting into 'mates. I purchased the Buffy ones first because I was a fan of the show and thought they would be interesting. Even at that point I was able to pick most of the up on clearance. Then I got the X-Files and Die Hard Palz, also on clearance to expand on my "Buffy" world. And just as I was really getting into them, Palisades went away and I was left wanting more. So I gave 'mates a second look and found them to indeed be superior (with the exception of the accessories) and just as addicting. They were fun though.

I've got every single Buffy PALz released, and some prototype accessories. I've also got a few of the DieHard ones.

I'm a huge Buffy fan, so I'm a bit biased, but... the figures aren't as cool as Minimates, but the accessories were awesome. I was sad that Palisades went away, mostly because I'd loved to have the third series of Buffy figures. They were doing block figures right. Tons of accessories. Build-A-Character pack-ins.

If DST ever decided to use their Buffy license for Minimates, my head would explode...

I've been thinking of picking up the Die Hard ones, though not really wanting to get into things other than Mini (did you know Minis are an enabler, leading to PALz, Kubrik, LEGO, oh the madness!!!!). Just really because i love the movie, otherwise not really into things non-Mini.

PALz were (are) great because they were sort of compliment to miniMates: they did all the things miniMates (for whatever reason) weren't doing: lots of neat accessories, modify the characters (in the Buffy line), more... "normal person" character types, 2-12" size which blends with other block lines better.

In a world where miniMates didn't exist (*gasp*), PALz would be my favorite block figure. However, their engineering design just wasn't quite there with miniMates of any size.

I've got a fairly complete set of PALz, except for the chases of X-Files 2 and Die Hard. I intend to hang onto them for a while longer, they get out a play with my 'mates every now and then. The aliens and monsters are Top Notch additions to miniMate scenarios (since scale isn't an issue with monsters...)

i love them. since i'm a huge x-files fan and thay are mini block figures like minimates, there perfect. i have almost all of the x-files series 2 palz, includeing some of the harder to get chases. i wish they could come out with more. :(

"Ditto" to Cappy's statements.

A lot of the things that people want from Minimates were done with PALz. Palisades listened. They did a lot of things right, especially accessories.

I thought the PALz design is pretty solid (even the square-hands) and brough some innovation. The quality could have been better, but that didn't prevent me from continuing.

I have most the Buffy PALz, and the first wave of X-Files. I kind of missed the boat on X-F2 and Die Hard, but hope to pick them up someday.

Also, FYI - PALz will live on (sorta) via kockBLOCKerz

Recently won the Die Hard John McClane and BTVS Angel on ebay. Got the McClane already and they don't seem that bad, in my opinion they're somewhere between Minimates and Kubricks with Minimates being the top block figure (Obviously)...

Shame i only just discovered them though :(

MV, if you get your collection together and chuck them on ebay can i be a cheeky git and ask you to PM me before you do with how much you want for the lot ? Sorta giving me first offer so to speak :)

I've got a few extra of the DieHard ones:

John McClane

Holly Gennero

Hans Gruber

Sgt. Al Powell

All are still sealed in their bags. No outer boxes, though

I'd let the lot go for $10 +shipping.

PM me if interested

Also, FYI - PALz will live on (sorta) via kockBLOCKerz

I just checked the Creatus Maximus site and wow, it's amazing! I love the Smart Bombs that they've done and the kockBLOCKerz are hilarious! Anyone with a hankering for toy designing should head over to the boards and try their hand at designing a 'Fat Man' or even a kockBLOCKerz figure. It seems like the place where grassroots ideas might make it to production!

So did Ken Lilly use to work for Palisades? And I know they are defunct but can CM use the exact same body that the PALz figures used or will it be slightly different?

Lilly did used to work for Palisades... I'm unsure how they can use the same body, maybe he bought up the rights to it.... It looks like CMZ is making the Freakables that Palisades was going to make. This is an odd company. I'd definately pick up the Kockblockers, though... I did like the PalZ body. Second best block figure ever.

It looks like CMZ is making the Freakables that Palisades was going to make.

Actually I don't think they are. I read the post entitled "Freaky" and Jeff says that while the idea behind Freakables was cool "some ideas just fail, plain and simple". But it's late and I could be wrong.