UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Free Exclusive Web Armor Spider-Man Minimate Offer!

Shanester

Ugh. I am so SICK of exclusives. Not everyone has easy access to them (bar Ebay which I prefer to stay away from). Why can't they include costumes like Web Armour and Scarlet in NORMAL waves so people have an easier chance to get them?

What part of the word "exclusive" don't you understand. It means something that everyone wants but not everyone can have. I don't see why this is always an issue.

I was gona order some BSG mates, but I'd rather deal with Corner Store Comics anways, and with the shipping and the orders falling through, I think I'll do like others and wait for ebay. Or knowing AFX, that have literally thousands of these. There's no way they're gona run out and I'll just wait till they dump the rest.

In this context, exclusive refers to the fact that it isn't offered by other retailers - it really has nothing to do with a discrepancy between people who want and those who can have. Simply put, it is only available through this outlet and no others.

Exactly. I live in the UK so I am no easy position to get some of the excsluives, and by sod's law they're the ones I really want, namely this one and the Scarlet Spider minimate that was announced a few weeks back. They're two of my favourite Spidey costumes and ones I've wanted to see in Minimate form since I first started collecting them. I asked a local shop if they could import the Scarlet minimate and they weren't sure. I've been keeping an eye on sites I could possibly order it from and so far no luck. And as for Web Armour, I've just picked up all the minimates I want at this moment in time (and ordered some others through the shop I mentioned above), so I am in no position to spend the $25 needed to get this minimate. Web Armour and Scarlet are two that I'd much rather have in my collection that another bloody version of the Classic costume which was included in the recent box set and planned for an up coming wave. Like I said earlier, why can't they do what they've done so far with DC and include all of the exclusives in waves which are easier for everyone to get, also allowing for wave to be released more frequently? Yes there is Ebay but frankly I hate that site and prefer not to use it.

Or heck, why not do those costumes in a box set with some of the other alternative Spidey costumes? Maybe have Scarlet, Web Armour, Iron Spidey, 2099 unmasked and Ben Reilly unmasked box set. I'd buy that in a heart beat.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probally the best sale that ive ever bought through online...

I got:

chunli and bison for 2.00

green sota toys sakura for 3.00

bsg wave two with variant for 20.99

defenders for 14.99

ground shipping 13.56

total 54.54

basicly, 15 mates and a sota toys sakura (all things i dont have) for 55 bucks, great deal in my book!

Not sure where the big rip occurs in this offer? I'm pretty sure AFX's business model isn't to pump out free merchandise for fans. I'm guessing it's based on moving stock -- the only way for a retail business to succeed. If that means tying in a promo offer to get rid of aging stock, jeez, that's a trick that's been done since the dawn of the free market.

Well, I definitely wasn't saying they should pump out free merchandise for fans, but AFX has built up a relationship with Marvel mate collectors by sponsoring various exclusives right? So I guess I used the term "rip off" because the site knows it has a market with fans, and is using that to move what is mostly non-mate stock. I would think that if they'd sold the thing for ten or fifteen bucks, they would've made even more money off the Spidey, and presumably people who actually want their unsold stock would have made a dent in it even if the sale hadn't included a free mate. Anyway, not arguing with you, it is an old business trick, I was just saying I understand people therefore feeling "tricked" or taken advantage of.

Me, personally -- still just happy to be getting him at all.

Luckily this one worked out well for me as I was getting BSG wave 2 for my bro and then I got Bison and Chun-Li, and then the Darth Vader Chubbies so yeah I was glad there was a bunch of stuff I wanted to get me this free minimate. Although I think I would have found something to buy in any case to feed my completist nature. I completely understand this promo business tool because it is used all the time where I work where the business loses money on the promo themselves but they move out stock or make huge profit on the product people buy to qualify them for the promo. I am just happy to get a new minimate.

Looks like the Defender set is no longer on the list.

When was the defenders box set ever on the list? I order on Sat morning and didn't see it.

Oh no, I think this is a, while not "great", a good and by no means bad deal. The problem I have occurs with the CS and the shipping. I hate high shipping. I'd rather have high prices and no shipping.

Not to pick on you Dino - just using your statement as an example.

So, if they said the cost of the products you're choosing from was, say $5 higher - and the shipping was $5 less, that would make the sale for you? You do realize pricing is just a game - whether the retailer chooses to show actual shipping or roll it into the price of the product makes no difference - just how the customer sees the charges.

(I have an online retail background and have found customers will pay a higher price for a product to get 'free shipping' - all I did to get to the 'free shipping' was calculate the cost of shipping into the price the customer pays for the item. I'm just curious what others here say about this.)

So, if they said the cost of the products you're choosing from was, say $5 higher - and the shipping was $5 less, that would make the sale for you? You do realize pricing is just a game - whether the retailer chooses to show actual shipping or roll it into the price of the product makes no difference - just how the customer sees the charges.

(I have an online retail background and have found customers will pay a higher price for a product to get 'free shipping' - all I did to get to the 'free shipping' was calculate the cost of shipping into the price the customer pays for the item. I'm just curious what others here say about this.)

I could potentially be suckered into that (the free shipping deal on higher priced items). I try to compute shipping and price in my mind when I determine "cost," but really high shipping (like AFX has) somehow makes me more averse to buying. Its not that I'm offended that they are offering the higher cost, I just have a harder time making the justification to buy, and there is no rational reason that this should be the case, in itself.

If AFX offered 5 dollar shipping on the Defenders set, I probably would have already bought it. But instead, I'm waiting to see it appear elsewhere for lower shipping. . .that's probably 3 measly bucks tops, but it does make a difference to me.

Oh no, I think this is a, while not "great", a good and by no means bad deal. The problem I have occurs with the CS and the shipping. I hate high shipping. I'd rather have high prices and no shipping.

I'd have to agree.... often the incentives like free items or free shipping are typically structured so that higher prices or a certain volume makes the transaction nominally profitable - or at least not a loss.

The best way to look at it is as a total net cost (Merchandise + Tax + S & H - discounts/incentives) and choose the best deal. The question: "would you pay $50 for an item with free shipping or $25 for the same item with $15.00 shipping?" makes the point perfectly. Choosing the higher shipping cost is till more economical than opting for the free offer.

I gave in. I had to. Mind you I'm getting a Jin Roh Panzer Cop thrown in for free with my Web Armour Spider-Man.

BHM how much were you quoted for shipping?

I'm paying $53.25 ,it's enough but ol' Jin Roh's been a big want for a while. I have realised of late that AFX's prices aren't too bad if you buy in bulk . They generally offer each ' wave with variant set' at a reasonable price , if you buy more than one set ,the shipping becomes more realistic. Here's the rub......I'm lucky enough to be able to do this but there are many who aren't (esp.in UK) & although I accept AFX's motives with their current 'offer' ...it sucks! But as I said.... I gave in!

I gave in. I had to. Mind you I'm getting a Jin Roh Panzer Cop thrown in for free with my Web Armour Spider-Man.

BHM how much were you quoted for shipping?

I'm paying $53.25 ,it's enough but ol' Jin Roh's been a big want for a while. I have realised of late that AFX's prices aren't too bad if you buy in bulk . They generally offer each ' wave with variant set' at a reasonable price , if you buy more than one set ,the shipping becomes more realistic. Here's the rub......I'm lucky enough to be able to do this but there are many who aren't (esp.in UK) & although I accept AFX's motives with their current 'offer' ...it sucks! But as I said.... I gave in!

Yeah, that's what they quoted me, I was just curious. I was going to order the BSG wave 2, $20.00 for the set + Variant ain't at all bad, and round up to $25.00 + with the Buffy Palz halloween set. When I saw the order plus shipping was $80.00 I decided to give it a miss. I don't really need either of the sets I was going to buy and just couldn't justify spending £40.00 on a minimate. :(

Ah well, thems the breaks.

I'd have to agree.... often the incentives like free items or free shipping are typically structured so that higher prices or a certain volume makes the transaction nominally profitable - or at least not a loss.

The best way to look at it is as a total net cost (Merchandise + Tax + S & H - discounts/incentives) and choose the best deal. The question: "would you pay $50 for an item with free shipping or $25 for the same item with $15.00 shipping?" makes the point perfectly. Choosing the higher shipping cost is till more economical than opting for the free offer.

One problem with AFX, however, is that neither their shipping, nor their merchandise is cheap. Things in their holiday sale that are readily available elsewhere are on sale for $10 more than anywhere else (listed at normal price $25 more than anywhere else). I could justify the high shipping if prices where reasonable (or for exclusives) and I frequently do. It really does all come down to factoring all costs in. Oh, and making sure you remember to hit that combine all items into one shipment box in order to avoid the $5 per separate shipment;)

Needless to say I managed to find some things in which I was remotely interested in order to get me that Spidy that I so desperately need! Hopefully they have not run out...

Well, lets say I'm cruising for mates on ebay, and I'm only searching BIN auctions. I find 3 auctions with the exact same produce. The first is $0.99 with $20 s/h. The second is $20 with free s/h. The third is $15 with $5 s/h.

Now, this maybe just me, and it's all in my head because they are all obviously the same price. However I am going to go for the last one, or maybe even the last two. I'd rather know what I'm getting and pay for it and not have to worry about shipping rather than have someone try and recoup their losses that they didn't make in the auction with high shipping. Because people do that. "Oop, stuff is too cheap, we need to make more money by charging more for shipping." I'm not claiming AFX is doing that, I'm saying other people do.

Interestingly enough, you don't pay taxes on shipping, so for the seller the first option would be the best with the highest shipping, and the free shipping would be the worst.

Has any one gotten one of these yet? I'm waiting for pics but also for them to start quite literally flooding ebay.

I put together a couple different orders to hit the $25 and on all of them the shiping was $26.43..leaving my orders always at $50+ so unles I can find someone else to go in with on this with me I am gonna sit it out and wait and see when/how else I can get one of my favorite spidey costumes

Jeff of the Minis

I can totally understand shipping costs being how they are...not gonna whine about that..it just gets frustrating trying to be patient about minimates....I know I wil get it...just have to wait a bit thats all.....I mean I have to wait now for stuff, very rarely does it happen that I am able to get stuff as soon as it is released....and having stuff to hunt is fun for me....although something like this is bound to be a tad easier then the 03 blanks, Silver Spidey and prototypes :)

Jeff of the Minis

My thoughts on Reideen's question: being of sound and logical mind, I've always been careful about looking at the total cost. The difference is when you find a product and say "Wow, I've been searching all over and that's a great price!" Then you fill out all the forms, click through the pages, and only to discover a high shipping cost at the end of the process.

Now, even if the total price is the same as somewhere else, it leaves a slightly bitter sense of disappointment: "Oh, I don't get a great deal after all, they sucked me in... again." At least with the minimal shipping but higher prices model, I have a better idea of my cost up front and thus am not surprised.

And, since by now I know AFX is going to hit me at the end, I'm more willing to shop there because that sense of disappointment is reduced.

Both valid business models, both in use since forever. That's just how the one flavors my purchasing experience.