UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Free Exclusive Web Armor Spider-Man Minimate Offer!

Shanester

*sigh* $18 shipping on a $25 order. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet though, because I needs me that Armor Spidey.

(I see, AFX is based in Hawaii. So that may explain the high shipping. I'm still hesitant about ordering though.)

I thought I was the only one.

I had some issues with AFX shipping prices too. I ordered a bunch of items from AFX and since not all items were in stock at the time, I ended up getting my items in seperate shippings. At the end, I had paid over 30.00 in shipping costs (one box of BSGs and Star Treks minimates for 18.99 shipping , one box of Back to the Future and Rocky minimates for 15.99 shipping) , and my combine item purchases was only about 70.00. I guess you really need to order all items in stock to avoid this, and ship all at once.

Regardless, gotta get me a couple Armor Spideys!!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a big fan of AFX, and generally only do business with them for exclusives and other random events like this one. In the past I ordered something that was shown as in stock only to have to wait close to a month before it was even shipped to me, because they had to wait for the item to be shipped to them (how that was "in stock" is beyond me). The shipping prices are also a deterrent unless I'm buying in bulk, where the prices start to balance out.

This latest incident though has left a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing. As others have said, we're basically paying them to clear out their items that aren't moving and getting a "free" minimate in the process. And since they don't have a reliable system of keeping track of inventory vs. orders until well after the fact, you're lucky if you even get the items you ordered. I agree with the sentiment that it should be a $25 worth of minimates or anything order rather than the crap list they have to choose from. I also think that if they took an order only to turn around and cancel it because of lack of availability, then if you still purchase something, you should still get the damn minimate.

Something tells me these will end up being sold in some capacity later on, because I don't see them off loading a whole hell of a lot of these in the current system.

Again, I reiterate that I only shop with AFX for the exclusives that aren't readily available elsewhere.

When I first saw this I was all over it! This Spiderman is near the top of my fav costumes and when it was announced as part of the Target wave I wanted 2 for sure without even seeing it. So I did some digging around and checking out how I could make it happen and had it all worked to order, then I came here and see some of the issues people are having. I havent ordered from AFX due to shipping costs but was all for it this time...now I wil be seriously considering what I do. I sure hope this isnt the only way this mate is coming out.

Jeff of the Minis

I was fortunate in that there was an item in the Holiday sale that I wanted anyway, so Armored Spidey really is a free bonus for me (well, maybe a few bucks for high shipping rates).

I will say that, based on the numbers of MiniMates that get produced, I'm guessing these will be available through other means eventually. Patience, grasshoppers, patience. And don't go paying extreme prices when these show on eBay, either. Time will tell.

Note: my opinion is not based on any insider knowledge, purely past experience, so it might be 100% crap.

I'm going to wait until this guy hits ebay. No matter what I end up paying for him there it's going to be cheeper than buying stuff I don't want (Star Wars bobble heads for instance) and then paying double (or tripple) what shipping should be. If the $25 included items from the whole store I would have bought the Defenders set from them but as it is I'm going to purchase that item from CSC or BBTS.

I wish I could support a store that is making exclusive Mates possible but they really need to rethink the whole over charging on shipping/selective promotion thing.

Ugh. I am so SICK of exclusives. Not everyone has easy access to them (bar Ebay which I prefer to stay away from). Why can't they include costumes like Web Armour and Scarlet in NORMAL waves so people have an easier chance to get them?

I wish they just sold this mate for an inlfated price... it would be so much easier!

It's just too much messing around for me to bother with.

But if anybody wants to sell me one and ship to the UK, i'll pay over $25 for it.

Give me a PM if anybody's interested and we'll discuss it...

Or if anybody's plannin to put one on ebay, again give me a heads up and i'll start the bidding.

I just ordered the Defenders and new Star Trek sets from them, but I'm not biting on Web Armor Spidey. I bet they'll end up selling that figure after Xmas anyway.

I hope so as I'm personally in no position to get one otherwise (again bar Ebay).

Personally I don't see why they can't keep all the characters in the waves like they've done (so far) with the DC minimates. Makes it a lot easier for me personally to get the ones I really want. Web Armour and Scarlet are easily two of my favourite Spidey costumes, maybe even topping the main one. Yet both of them are exclusives that I can't get very easily and frankly I find it annoying, especally when they keep using the main costume in regular waves.

Even though I didn't end up getting the web armor spidey, I'm thrilled this sale was pointed out, since you had the PALz Buffy Halloween set for $6.00. Except for the exclusives I don't generally purchase minimates from AFX since there is usually one set per wave that I don't particularly care about.

I just got exactly the same call, I ordered 5 sets of the SM3 mates this morning and they just called to tell me they dont have them! They wouldn't even keep the rest of my order (Defenders set etc) and simply include the spider armor mate out of courtesy for their screwup.

Basically I'm pissed because not only do I not now have the Spider armor mate coming BUT they took the cash through paypal and now I have perfectly good cash sitting in paypal instead of my bank account.

What's really stupid is that they have almost no minimates in the 'holiday list' so minimate fans have zero incentive to purchase unless they also collect other toys etc. So what we're going to see is these going to guys buying bobble heads and statues instead of minimate fans.

AFX have been pretty good in the past but frankly the way they've handled this sucks! :down::angry::down:

T.

Oddly enough, I noticed that they still had 8 of the spiderman 3 2-packs in their e-bay store after I read this post.

I doubt those qualified for the offer though

Ugh. I am so SICK of exclusives. Not everyone has easy access to them (bar Ebay which I prefer to stay away from). Why can't they include costumes like Web Armour and Scarlet in NORMAL waves so people have an easier chance to get them?

What part of the word "exclusive" don't you understand. It means something that everyone wants but not everyone can have. I don't see why this is always an issue.

I was gona order some BSG mates, but I'd rather deal with Corner Store Comics anways, and with the shipping and the orders falling through, I think I'll do like others and wait for ebay. Or knowing AFX, that have literally thousands of these. There's no way they're gona run out and I'll just wait till they dump the rest.

Or knowing AFX, that have literally thousands of these. There's no way they're gona run out and I'll just wait till they dump the rest.

I can see next year's Christmas special, where you have to spend 25 bucks to get a "Weapon X Wolverine" Minimate or something (can't have enough Spideys and Wolverines, can we?), and this year's Spidey exclusive will be on clearance in that deal, selling for 2.00.

What part of the word "exclusive" don't you understand. It means something that everyone wants but not everyone can have. I don't see why this is always an issue.

I was gona order some BSG mates, but I'd rather deal with Corner Store Comics anways, and with the shipping and the orders falling through, I think I'll do like others and wait for ebay. Or knowing AFX, that have literally thousands of these. There's no way they're gona run out and I'll just wait till they dump the rest.

In this context, exclusive refers to the fact that it isn't offered by other retailers - it really has nothing to do with a discrepancy between people who want and those who can have. Simply put, it is only available through this outlet and no others.

Corner Store Comics has some nice stuff, but I'm disappointed that they don't stock BSG mates -

I was another "lucky" (well, how lucky really, with the shipping rape, i mean costs) in that I found a x-mas present for some and can get the mate now, but most people are right, unless you buy something you really don't want, its just impossible. and just wait for the rest of those "Target Exclusive" to surface, because you know they will eventually. <_< , egh, life

Despite the fact that I already have multiples of DC wave 6 and the almost $15 in shipping, I pulled the trigger on this deal. Yep, I'm a Minimate whore. What's worse (for our wallets anyway) I bet we'll see more "Free" Minimates from AFX and other retailers in the future. Like Danny said in another thread, this is a great business model for a give-away. AFX will easily recoup their costs for the exclusive and then some.

Definitely a rip-off, and not something I could particularly afford with the torrential downpour of Mates at the moment, but I'm mostly just happy we got this guy. If the other Not-Target Mates pop up in "deals" like this I'll be able to wait it out until they show up on eBay, but the Web Armor Spidey issue was the first comic I ever bought, and with Target backing out and the Ghost Rider line circling the drain I didn't have high hopes he'd ever get released...

So yeah: big rip-off, totally annoying, big smile on my face.

So yeah: big rip-off, totally annoying, big smile on my face.

Ah, the action figure collector's new motto!

In this context, exclusive refers to the fact that it isn't offered by other retailers - it really has nothing to do with a discrepancy between people who want and those who can have. Simply put, it is only available through this outlet and no others.

Corner Store Comics has some nice stuff, but I'm disappointed that they don't stock BSG mates -

That's where mine came from.

Not sure where the big rip occurs in this offer? I'm pretty sure AFX's business model isn't to pump out free merchandise for fans. I'm guessing it's based on moving stock -- the only way for a retail business to succeed. If that means tying in a promo offer to get rid of aging stock, jeez, that's a trick that's been done since the dawn of the free market.

If it keeps AFX in business, which in turn allows them to sponsor more 'Mates for us addicts, well... *shrug*

And if these Spideys were tossed into a standard series, it doesn't take much imagination to the see the tsunami of "not more Spider-Man variants!" posts that would arise.

Now, the customer service issues that Timbo and others are having, that's a different story.