UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

British Postal Strike

Okay here's my situation.

I bought a Minimate off of eBay a month ago today. I paid for it via paypal on that night. After two weeks, it still hadn't arrived so I messaged him to ask about it. They said it was probably because of the postal strikes, which was already my conclusion. I still haven't recieved it.

Should I be worried? I've heard that people use Postal Strikes as an excuse to not send stuff off, and blame it on the strikes. He says he sent it by recorded delivery. Is there any way I can track it or does that help me at all? His feedback shows that people who bought things at around the same time or even after me have already received them.

My other query is that I bought something from someone else two weeks ago. Another board member also bought some figures off them, and he has received his, but mine are still missing. When should I begin to chase these up?

Has anyone else been experiencing problems?

Can somebody help me?

Where is it coming from? The USPS shows status online all the way up to the parcel leaving the USA. After that, you must request the info from them and they get it from the PO of the country of destination. Get the tracking info at least.

I understand your concerns Dan but the PO is an area where logic goes out of the window. I have had a few bad moments on ebay & its usually the wait for the stuff to arrive. My advice is to politely pester the seller ,emphasis on politely. If they are genuine, they will respond. From their response you'll be able to 'get a feel'. The strike has caused problems for buyers & genuine sellers.

If the seller says they sent it recorded delivery, ask them for the Track & Trace reference number , then you can track it here

Thanks for your help guys.

Shane- The packages are both from England, North Hampshire and Bristol to be precise.

I have messaged the sellers asking for the Track and Trace numbers. That should help loads! Thanks alot Titan!

I also noticed that the UK post office is a total peice of crap. Everytime I mail eBay items there it takes FOREVER to arrive to my customers, and I've had one instance where it was "lost"

It seems like every business line in the UK is slower than America. I don't know what really causes this laid back approach to everything. Possible massive alcoholism and drug abuse?

I also noticed that the UK post office is a total peice of crap. Everytime I mail eBay items there it takes FOREVER to arrive to my customers, and I've had one instance where it was "lost"

It seems like every business line in the UK is slower than America. I don't know what really causes this laid back approach to everything. Possible massive alcoholism and drug abuse?

Im in the UK. I buy daily from US suppliers. I specify USPS Global Priority which may surprise you is the US Postal Service. I have never had a problem with excessive delays .You know what , the only time I get a problem is when a supplier fails to use this slightly more expensive system. If you send something via the USPS how the hell is it the total responsibility of the UK PO for a delay in getting it to the customer. As regards your comments re: my country ,I doubt that this is the opinion of a rational person , so get some treatment for whatever ails you. Also it's fucking obvious to me now why you haven't received your 'Free mates from DST 'that you're forever bleating about..... they're probably lost in the post. All Dan was asking for was some advice which some of us freely gave .Here's some for you ...bigotry is a disease of the weak-minded, get some help.

Having lived in both the UK and US and literally traveled around the world, using various postal systems as I went, I'd actually say that the UK postal system is probably the best in the world. It's not perfect but it's a darn sight better than the piss poor US mail service where they really don't give a shit and stuff gets trashed/lost on a regular basis.

As for the xenophobic comments about British people, gotta say you're just enforcing the ( mostly untrue) stereotype about americans being ignorant and loudmouthed that the rest of the world holds.

You really should just drop the High and Roller from your name... it would suit you better then.

T.

I thought about responding to this earlier. Those stupid comments really pissed me off, wtf is your problem HAR?

As for the xenophobic comments about British people, gotta say you're just enforcing the ( mostly untrue) stereotype about americans being ignorant and loudmouthed that the rest of the world holds.

T.

I's sory tBt whats that xenowhatsit and stereowhosit mean i's just to stupid to know what those big wurds mean. maybe yous might want to try using small wurds with us AMERIKANS.

yeah I am going to get shot for this.

I's sory tBt whats that xenowhatsit and stereowhosit mean i's just to stupid to know what those big wurds mean. maybe yous might want to try using small wurds with us AMERIKANS.

yeah I am going to get shot for this.

:D well that made me laugh out loud VBPanizzi, so yeah perhaps you're right and this thread is getting a bit ugly and needed someone to come and lighten it up.

As I said the stereotypes are mostly unjustified but there's always some ASS putting fuel on the fire.

T.

Americans are fat lazy slobs and English people have rubbish teeth. I won't even get onto what's wrong with the Welsh and Scottish!

Now play nice everyone.

Yes, let's all play nice.

I was just trying to tie social norms into this. If you have any knowlegde or understanding of industrial/work studies, you would know that the decline of british power in the Uk has been outlined and studied extensively in multiple discourses. Alcoholism has been attributed to this directly. About 9 decades ago (90 years ago) UK, passed a law that all all bars close at 11:00 unless you obtain an official license. This was basically to give the workforce a fighting chance to get over their handovers.

The UK also has a greater appreciation of work-life balance. So they often value personal time over work time. Japan and the US is actually rated at a higher work ethic than Europe currently in studies.

Lert's not let your emotions get the best of you, or result to low brow insults against me or Americans. I'm actually 100% chinese and first generation in America. Like always, before you guys start going nuts on me, do a little research and keep an open mind.

Regardless of your intention HAR, what you posted was very insulting and you know it. Please, seek your attention elsewhere.

Luckily, Postal strikes don't happen here in the USA. Hurricanes have slowed things down, but not worker strikes.

Yes, let's all play nice.

I was just trying to tie social norms into this. If you have any knowlegde or understanding of industrial/work studies, you would know that the decline of british power in the Uk has been outlined and studied extensively in multiple discourses. Alcoholism has been attributed to this directly. About 9 decades ago (90 years ago) UK, passed a law that all all bars close at 11:00 unless you obtain an official license. This was basically to give the workforce a fighting chance to get over their handovers.

The UK also has a greater appreciation of work-life balance. So they often value personal time over work time. Japan and the US is actually rated at a higher work ethic than Europe currently in studies.

Lert's not let your emotions get the best of you, or result to low brow insults against me or Americans. I'm actually 100% chinese and first generation in America. Like always, before you guys start going nuts on me, do a little research and keep an open mind.

I don't have issues with Americans, just loud mouthed idiots that make unprovoked sweeping and offensive generalizations.

Calling a nation a bunch of work shy drunks is not the way to make friends...

I'm gonna put my cards on the table here and say that I don't like you, you're arrogant, ill informed and have the social finesse of a bag of rotten kittens. 90% of your posts end up with you rubbing someone up the wrong way or an argument.

What reaction did you expect from making that post earlier? Did you expect all the British members to give you a big hug and say you're right, Nope you were picking a fight and now you have one you are running away and claiming you know better because of some 'study'.

Not sure where you get your facts from but the 11pm Law has been there since the 19th century and if anything has been relaxed recently (for example the licensing laws changed in 2005 to allow pubs to apply for a license to set their own opening hours, either way they need a license to sell alcohol.). The whole work ethic is something I'd rather not get into as it's way more complex than this thread could do justice too.

Surely even you can see that the smart thing to have done was to apologize for offending people and let it go?

T.

Ok, I really didn't expect to see THIS thread turn into a country hate fest!

Getting back on topic . . . . I haven't received a reply from either of them yet, but if I haven't heard anything by Monday, especially from the first one, eBay will be notified!

''I have learned so much today '' ''What have you learned Grasshopper?'' ''I have learned that 9 decades is 90 years,I have learned also that 'the decline of British power in the UK' is a complete contradiction in terms '' . ''That must be your hanDDDover Grasshopper'' ''Yes master my hanGGGGover'' ''Lerts not let your emotions get the best of you,or result to low brow insults against me or Americans ,Grasshopper '' ''Lerts Master?'' ''Yes Grasshopper...lerts'' ''What are lerts Master'' ''They have' been outlined & studied extensively in multiple discourses'' ''Has alcoholism been attributed to this directly?'' '' No you prick...... that would be the Jack Daniels''

''I have learned so much today '' ''What have you learned Grasshopper?'' ''I have learned that 9 decades is 90 years,I have learned also that 'the decline of British power in the UK' is a complete contradiction in terms '' . ''That must be your hanDDDover Grasshopper'' ''Yes master my hanGGGGover'' ''Lerts not let your emotions get the best of you,or result to low brow insults against me or Americans ,Grasshopper '' ''Lerts Master?'' ''Yes Grasshopper...lerts'' ''What are lerts Master'' ''They have' been outlined & studied extensively in multiple discourses'' ''Has alcoholism been attributed to this directly?'' '' No you prick...... that would be the Jack Daniels''

AND Jack Daniels is as AMERICAN as american can get YEE HAW!! Where's my gun?

I wonder what that loud banging on my door is?

TrackandTrace.jpg

Ok, I got one Track and Trace code, but this message came up.

Does anyone know what that means?

TrackandTrace.jpg

Sounds like they only just sent it.

With USPS (which I have had the most experience with), I can tell you that it sometimes takes a couple of days before an item would show up on their page that monitors tracked items, but a month is not a couple of days.

My only other tracking experience was with a package shipped from Canada that was given tracking info. In this case, the tracking number never worked for me, though the item did arrive. I haven't had any experience with items shipped from the UK.

I'm thinking that one potential explanation could stem from the strike. It seems like a strike would mean that the item was held up in an atypical fashion. As such, any messages concerning normal shipping expectations might not mean much.

Given my experience, to me, that message could mean the item was just sent, that there was no item sent at all, or that it was sent and the system just isn't working correctly. In other words: it might mean something, it might mean nothing. :(

He says he sent it on the 10th of October. I still I may go to the sorting office tomorrow and see if they know anything.