UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New SF mates ARE possible

I have never heard of the east wood movie that is getting mates and BTTF and rocky were unexpected to me as well, those are movies popular from the 80's and they have mates. SF could come back in little box sets like what we are getting now. The problem with the 1st wave was no one could find them. I never saw a ryu in stores. I did see a 4 pack with him in it though, and those were only at toys are us. DST is distibuting now and have better pull, the box sets are selling well andare a lot easier to find, for me at least, and to top it off, The canceled star trek line now has 3 waves planned to start and we already got the 1st wave. We just need to keep this info on the minds of DST and it is definatley possible at this point.

I already mentioned to chuck that they could do them as a box or for an exclusive retailer. AFX loves their exclusives, and if they were offered a box of all new characters people wants and not repaints, they would probably be all over that set. My shops are stocking all the new boxes and they are easy to find because DST does a better job distributing them than Art Asylum did. And if star trek can rise from the dead, then so can blanka and guile and dan. I mean come on, BTTF has 2 box sets and 2 exclusive 2 packs? Do the same for street fighter already.

Things are different this time around. Everyone needs to realize they are at a point where this makes sense and is also feasible to achieve. Its not like Im asking for LOTR wave 3, but SF is always doing something. Lets Make It Happen!!!!!

I would love to have a Minimate Ken, Vega and Sagat, and I would buy the others, but I never cared too much for anyone except those guys and Ryu when I was a kid putting quarters on the machine. If you get a petition going or something, I would definitely sign up.

On a somewhat related topic closer to my heart, however, does anyone know why they chose "For a Few Dollars More" instead of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly?" Its hard to complain when some of my favorite film characters of all time (from Back to the Future and the Man with No Name trilogy) are getting the Minimates treatment, but no Tuco figure? Nooooo!! I say we petition for that! He should have a little horse, a noose around his neck, and a crazed look on his face.

Things are different this time around. Everyone needs to realize they are at a point where this makes sense and is also feasible to achieve. Its not like Im asking for LOTR wave 3, but SF is always doing something. Lets Make It Happen!!!!!

So your saying that things are different because the 4-packs are out there?

I don't really see what is different. TRU has SF/DS 4-packs as well, and they didn't move very well it seems. Short of a 12-pack of all the SF2 characters, I don't think the packaging is the major factor in why we are not seeing more. The visibility is poor at the moment, and the inability to get to the target audience is another hit.

I am a big supporter of the SF 'mates - I bought a case and multiple of every variant just for myself. But the demand isn't there as much as it is for other properties, so that is where the focus is.

The ONLY way I can see a new set of Street Fighter coming out would be to come out with the launch of a new Street Fighter game and to sell them in Game shops, not just some rental place most people have never heard of, I am talking a place like GameStop. I love the Street Fighter and Darkstalkers series and a huge fan of the mates, but I still seriously do not see us getting any new waves. If we did, I would be extremely surprised.

Hmmmm...

As recently as SDCC Chuck said these were dead.

The short answer here is they died because they didn't sell, low preorders and low sell through. You can debate all day about one store or another (if DST could even get somewhere like gamestop to take them.) it doesn't make a difference if there was not demand for them. I bought em but to be honest they're my least favourite minimate line since the indymates..

BTW DST has ALWAYS handled the distribution & Believe it is they not AA that held the license,so that's not really a change.

T.

It would be an extremely easy thing to do with the new SFIV! But they'd probably rerelease or redo some old figures to get a better market + new fans in. What I mean is they HAVE to make/include a Ryu figure with this set (he is the most recognizable character) but with the trailer having Ken they could esaily add him too (FINALLY). Depending on the sotry they'd probably pick two (hopefully new to the line and maybe, game) villain-type people.

Hmm, all interesting points. A box set at a game store would be new, but gamestop phased toys out of the floorplan a while back. I think that an internet exclusive would be the best bet. Kind of like the defenders. Afx of even a popular SF fansite like they are doing with that BTTF fansite.

I may have been wrong about the distribution, but I never saw ryu, the most popular character in SF, in a store except for the TRU set. And I used to work at TRU and not only does their system of stocking toys suck, but half the time, that stuff would be hidden in the overstock. So if they were on the shelf where they were supposed to be, like the marvel 4 opacks were some of the time, then they would have sold better.

One thing is for sure. The box sets selling at shops now are doing well, and the SF box was never in a place where it could do well. They might as well have sent it to wal mart. If they could get that wave out as a 5 pack for a net exclusive or previews exclusive, and advertise this one better, then we could get it in our hands. Their are still options that they havent used yet and with a franchise as popular as SF, they should have no problem making up for the 1st half assed attempt they made.

Their are still options that they havent used yet and with a franchise as popular as SF, they should have no problem making up for the 1st half assed attempt they made.

Erm... Sorry to be the negative voice of reason here but... half assed attempt they made? They were solicited in exactly the same way as all of the new boxsets PLUS they got them into TRU. There were just not enough bought (or preorders on wave 2 to justify making those.).

The simple fact is that they didn't sell... I know that there are half a dozen people in this thread that are going to say 'I'd buy them' well that's a start but who is going to buy the other thousands of sets that would have to be made to make em profitable? - probably the same people that didn't buy them last time they were solicited.

It's dead guys... All your doing here is picking over old wounds...

T.

I don't know about you guys but when the TRU 4 pack came out I called every TRU in a 50 mile radius and all of them said they had no idea what I was talking about so I said f#$% it and went to every single one and wouldn't you know every single TRU had at least 10 on the shelves. The problem with the first wave and the exclusives were not enough people knew what they were or where to find them , I just got lucky and found out through here, not even my usual minimate retailer knew what I was talking about . So if they do come out with series two they need to get the word out.

If I could have more SF minimates "I would be so happy"

Hmm, all interesting points. A box set at a game store would be new, but gamestop phased toys out of the floorplan a while back.

I only mentioned that route because when Halo 3 was released, they also had (it was either a 3 or 4 pack) of Halo Kubricks.

And I agree with TBT.....as much as I would love to see more SF mates, I think the line is dead.

Hmm, all interesting points. A box set at a game store would be new, but gamestop phased toys out of the floorplan a while back.

I only mentioned that route because when Halo 3 was released, they also had (it was either a 3 or 4 pack) of Halo Kubricks.

And I agree with TBT.....as much as I would love to see more SF mates, I think the line is dead.

Yep. I purchased a set for TBT as a matter of fact, so Gamestop obviously doesn't have anything against toys in the store, they just aren't carrying them to the degree that they used to. (Same is true for Hot Topic - another store that might have been interested in these back when they were 1st released, since they were carrying the SOTA SF line.. They still have some 'niche' stuff such as the Marvel Zombies, but they've quit carrying DCD and other lines that I used to be able to check them for. SOTA's line is one of those that they aren't carrying anymore.)

That said, these are still dead.

I think these rank up there with Lord of the Rings as lines that had potential, but just didn't hit at the right time. I can't really remember the last time Street Fighter was big, so as awesome as the line was, it just didn't come when the market interest was there. The above mentioned Halo 3 set further proves that point. You release the product when there's something to base it off of, and you get more casual buyers. You release it several years after the fact though and interest is all but gone.

And for those banging the 24, Rocky, and Back to the Future drums, those are either currently relevant, with 24 still being one of Fox's best shows, or huge on the nostalgia factor, as there is a big following of Back to the Future apparently, and Rocky still pops up every month or so on some channel on TV. Even the For a Few Dollars More movie carries a bigger nostalgia factor, in that every day you can find a Clint Eastwood movie playing somewhere on your televisions. Street Fighter is just a fighting game that has been buried in a market flooded with fighting games, so the niche is much smaller.

All that being said, I'm laying down my stick. This horse is dead.