UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

We NEED some thread organization!

First, let me say this is a terrific forum and I'm really happy to be a part of it. I've made some great trades and friends, and it's one of the few sites I visit on a daily basis.

But I've got to say, I think the threads are getting very disorganized, especially in the TV & Movie Minimates area. There are entirely too many threads where the topic starter asks when such and such will be released - these are NOT NECESSARY. These new topics then get a few random posts discussing the wave (or waves, as in BTTF & 24), then a new topic pops up and discussion starts all over. When it comes to release information, nobody knows, and if they did know, they ought to put a post in the existing thread for that product. All these threads that just ask when such and such will be released only clutter up the boards, so I suggest that there could be ONE pinned master thread for the most updated release information for every single line of minimates.

On the first page of the TV & Movie area, there are FIVE threads that all deal with when certain waves will be released. People frequently post new threads to ask questions that could easily be asked within existing threads. I count TWENTY TWO threads that deal with Star Trek minimates, which is ridiculous. If I want to comment about these minis, I have no idea which thread to use anymore.

I think something needs to be done. It seems to make sense to me that we have ONE thread for discussing each wave, ONE thread for each exclusive item, and additional threads to discuss the specifics of individual figures or contests as needed. Perhaps each product line could have one thread for posting custom figures and things, such as the Trek transporter PDF project.

I think the flea market reorganization has worked really well, so I know organization could work in other areas. I'm saying all this stuff because I love this website and I want it to prosper, and I think my suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Jad Bean

aka Soylent Bean

Have to say I agree! ( EDIT: ok so I just saw elsewhere this thread was inspired by one of my pseudo-rants but I promise I posted here first... )

But think the biggest issues aren't so much things need to be tidy ( Easily done by our intrepid mods no doubt) as much as people need to look to see if there is already a post or thread existing that answers their question or is a better place to put it before starting a new one. :)

T.

Okay, I have learned to use the search function, but when I first started I had no idea about it and made a lousy 3 post thread. I have since started new discussions sometimes uselessly I realized later when someone would bump a year old thread. Anyway the problem for some people I am sure, due to it was my issue, is newness to this form of messaging. So unless we can send all newbies through a training guide like at the begining of a video game it is always going to happen. Well that or when someone wants to start a new thread the search box shows up instead.

Hey, I like what you're saying about a 'training guide' for newbies, and older members too for good measure. I would think it would be easy to automatically and instantly send a PM to each newly opened account. It could run down the basics of when not to post new topics, how to use the Flea Market, etc.

I think the main problem is that people, especially n00bs, see a 23 page thread and don't feel like reading it all. They get a little freaked out and just decide to ask the question anyways, simply cause they see that high page number and don't want to go shifting through it.

And before any one says "lets keep the page numbers down by keeping the discussion on track" well, that's an okay solution, but it's also a real party killer one if you any me.

My 2 inches worth. :P

And before any one says "lets keep the page numbers down by keeping the discussion on track" well, that's an okay solution, but it's also a real party killer one if you any me.

I'd be against that as well Dino. One of the things I enjoy about this place is that a thread can go OT and still be ok. It'll usually get back on track without any input from the moderation team. Yet another thing that makes MMMV unique for a forum of its size IMO.

My 2 inches worth. :P

No comment....

I think the main problem is that people, especially n00bs, see a 23 page thread and don't feel like reading it all. They get a little freaked out and just decide to ask the question anyways, simply cause they see that high page number and don't want to go shifting through it.

Guess I'm a n00b. With a whole thread on "when is Bla Bla Coming out" doing nothing for those 23 pages, I have always just started a new thread to have a real discussion based on real information. I don't feel like reading it all when I have good information, and that information won't get the proper attention buried on page 23.

I think it is entirely fair to have a thread open for the release of each respective line. People's interest vary, and experience shows that people will go to a thread that directly addresses their interest as opposed to a general interest thread.

Entertaining and informative!! "...looks like you have some more learning to do first, ya dumbass" hahaha. Seriously though that is great. It took me a while to even find the seach button and the view new posts is invaluable. I started a couple of threads I probably shouldn't have. :blush:

I find the Search function a little tedious as it brings up every topics with that word in, and there is alot to sort through.

I always use the view new posts button. I wouldn't notice changes otherwise. :biggrin:

let me start by stating i am in no way attacking Soylent Bean but just using his post as it has many great points.

.... so I suggest that there could be ONE pinned master thread for the most updated release information for every single line of minimates."

>>great idea in fact there is one thats been there since Jan 18 2007, 10:27 AM

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=1642

.... It seems to make sense to me that we have ONE thread for discussing each wave, ONE thread for each exclusive item, and additional threads to discuss the specifics of individual figures or contests as needed.

>> i agree somewhat but as well as just one thread where any and all questions may be asked/answered, we need to then have a stickied FAQ thread for EACH WAVE in EACH CATAGORY that the Mods periodically add to with, and delete, from the general ask/answer thread (did that come out clearly?) this way a person doesn't have to seach through 23 pages of questions about character x's pants when they want to know about character x's shirt or whatever. then encourage people to use the FAQs before they post new questions.

....Perhaps each product line could have one thread for posting custom figures and things, such as the Trek transporter PDF project.

>> i have just run into this type of question with my customs, and think first to keep all customs in the separate "CUSTOMS" heading. then each member could/should have their own thread as "so and so's customs" they then can post news customs to a separate thread ( for example "my new spider-bat-arine" as a kind of spot light on their newest work) for a week after which time they or the mods delete it, and they add it to their "so and so's custom folder thread"

...I think the flea market reorganization has worked really well,

>> not as well as you may think still lots of old posts but worse many people with multiple posts, this should be easy everyone gets one post they are responsible to update and delete old posts, warn them a few times if they multiple post, then revoke their flea market posting priviledge for awhile.

... I'm saying all this stuff because I love this website and I want it to prosper,

Jad Bean

aka Soylent Bean

>>i concur 100%

-Mattallica

Ah good, this right here ^ brings up something I wanted to ask. What is with all the mod post amendments and thread closures. Maybe it's just me, but where I come from, if you get in a fight you'd better be prepared to defend yourself. Like "I don't like MMMV much lately" is going to get some people riled up. Good, so they're riled up. Both sides had better be prepared to bring a list of points A thru E of their reasons. There's a swear filter, we're all over 13, let them fight it out rather than having the mods step in and say "that isn't very nice".

Take that as you may, but the Mod Power Smacking ® is getting on my nerves.

agreed, DAN called me out and his post was displayed for all to see, but minutes after my response was posted both were deleted, now I'M SURE IT WAS JUST THE TIMING! but it doesn't seem right. if someones got something to say they should be allowed to say it. dont want to offend someone then dont say something offensive. and prefacing it by saying "no offense but..." doesn't make it not offensive.

I meant that my intentions were not to offend. And what I said wasn't offensive.

I don't want this to go any further, so I'm gonna stop replying now, how ever much you wanna attack me.

I have nothing against you personally.

and this my final reply to you, which is all i've ever done reply to something you stated, not attack you!

what you said was offensive,you said it about me, i get to be the judge, and i was offended. if you call someone something back it up, or have the spine to admit you were wrong. we were all trying to be constructive until you brought us down this tangent. thanks. -M

Here's the thing though. This thread isn't here for individuals to bitch about other individuals. In the interest of keeping the thread on topic, I removed the posts. I'm leaving the responses for now - as long as the argument ends here. Please try to keep this thread on topic and don't point out individuals as examples of what not to do.

Thanks.

Oh, and Dino? If you have an issue with the way things are being moderated feel free to PM any of the staff and we will address your problem(s) individually.

It's not so much an specific problems I have. I just see this as being a potential monster down the road and felt the need to, if not do something about it, then at least bring up the subject. I used to go to a place called Bionicle Zone. They merged with another site to become BZ Power, and became the biggest Bionicle site on the internet. Then Lego started granting them money, and they became OFFICIAL and the rampant decrees of the staff became unbearably egotistical. I got banned because I quite literally called the owner a douche in a PM from myself to another member. The owner read MY Pm becuse he had a filter for his name search, so he'd know if any one was talking about him behind his back.

Why do I mention this? Several reasons. This is far and above the worst example of how to run a website I've seen in all my years online. I also see some similarities to MMMV. A close knit group of people and the site grew, a close hand in hand relationship with the parent company, so on and so forth. Do I this this will happen to us? No. But I don't want it to happen to us, which is why I felt the need to point this out.

Call me an alarmist, call me nosy, call me an ass. I don't really care what you call me. I say what I do because I feel the way I do, and I'm not going to pussyfoot around things.

So, this is the last you're going to hear from me on this. I only felt I needed to sit down and explain why I kept mentioning this.

--Sam

Wow. Thanks for PM'ing a member of the staff to work out your issue, like I requested that you do. I really appreciate that. :rolleyes:

Great points above. All very valid. BZ has a rep and if you participate there, you should know that going in.

Difference is this thread wouldn't exist on other forums. Things like the Zombie exclusive 2 pack sign up, free GL/Starbuck/Cylons, Secret Santa, etc don't happen on other forums. Custom projects for charity, give aways organized by board members - providing swag from their own pockets not from a internet store - etc don't happen on other forums.

I feel bad that I have to remind you of the things that the staff as well as the community do for this forum.

Maybe you should appreciate what you have instead of bringing your issues at other forums into this one.

Everyone, can I say something? It seems to me that everyone has their own problems and no one solution could make everyone happy. I personally am not bothered, for example, when a new member sigs up and his/her first post is asking when something comes out as they are unfamiliar. I don't mind TOO many excess threads, as the mods can clean up too much if they need. It never really gets flooded with spam (except that time the guy made 20 posts to enter a Random Madness, hehe :D ) so even if it's once a day, is it really that hard to delete one thread once a day?

P.S. I may recommend adding another mod or two? I'd love the position, personally. :D

Even though I dont paticuarly hold any authority here nowadays I'm still gonna throw my thoughts into this little debate.

Moderation and thread organisation is a rough tight rope to walk, if the staff start moving/merging/locking/deleting threads to keep the palce tidy and free of "me toos" and duplicate posts/threads people can start moaning about it (remember the latter days of the AA board.... merge,move, prunearama) and if they dont do anything people complain about there been too many redundant threads.

With regards to TM2s tale of woe there are many things he needs to remember, firstly at the end of the day this place costs its owner (Mr Shane) money, so whatever he wants to do is whatever gets done, to be honest if it was decided that all posts had to be in Latin then thats the way it would be, Staff rules can come off as "rampant decrees and unbearably egotistical." because at the end of the day the staff pay to keep this place here, like any service that is provided to people for free you cant always have what you want. As for sites changing when they become "official" or have close ties to companies that is obviously going to happen, companies have reputations to keep and for a major company to be assosciated with a site they want it to be of a certain standard, a new customer googling your product and coming up with a site full of expletives and gibberish is not good business.

As Deadpool rightly points out "It seems to me that everyone has their own problems and no one solution could make everyone happy. " thats the way it is, there will always be people unhappy with something and demanding a change, but conversly there will be an equal amount of people that would be unhappy with the change, I've modded/admined places for years and no matter what people think they usually couldnt do any better, moderation etc is a thankless job that more often than not costs you more friends than you make. (real friends anyways, not the suckup posters and wannabe mods) I've lost some good friends over the years as they've crossed the line and I've had to call em on it, not a position people should ever be put in.

We're here to talk toys not have drama over posting, if everyone simply thinks before they posts and takes issues to the staff for a resolution before crying foul on the public boards life will be much simpler.

(I want to stress no points of this post are targeted at anyone, they are all generalisations, although if you think Img etting at you then perhaps you need to rethink your posting style....)