UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I'm losing interest lately

We are in the, like, third golden age of minimates here, and people are hitting a slump? OK.

Enter a contest, make a custom, make a diorama, take some pictures, PLAY. I just wish I had more time to enjoy minimates. I just got to break open the latest Marvel and DC minimates, and I am itching to get into the Back to the Future and Rocky minimates. I've got a custom list a mile long that I have no idea if I can ever finish.

We've reached the "Okay, now what? We made it through the year of no mates, and almost through the year of plenty. We need to decide our purpose"

Borrowed a bit there. The thing that bothers me most right now is how much there is that I want and can't have. I'm sixteen, can't drive yet, can't get a job (both parental decisions). I'd LOVE BTTF mates, and right now I really want some Trek. Avengers would be nice too. Unfortunatly, these probably won't happen. My family doesn't have much money, so its a serious wonder I have the amount of mates I do now.

I'm already looking forward to Christmas and those Trek mates. <_<

We've reached the "Okay, now what? We made it through the year of no mates, and almost through the year of plenty. We need to decide our purpose"

Borrowed a bit there. The thing that bothers me most right now is how much there is that I want and can't have. I'm sixteen, can't drive yet, can't get a job (both parental decisions). I'd LOVE BTTF mates, and right now I really want some Trek. Avengers would be nice too. Unfortunatly, these probably won't happen. My family doesn't have much money, so its a serious wonder I have the amount of mates I do now.

I'm already looking forward to Christmas and those Trek mates. <_<

It's okay DP. I know most of us have been there. It'll get better. Just enjoy what you have and rest assured you will get what you want soon enough, but a job, driving and higher education is a high price to pay for toys.

I'm in the same boat. I work on a very limited income and can never get what I really want. I should be getting a job soon though so that'll help alot.

On average I buy one 2 pack every month or so, unless I really want something, then I save for it before, such as the Avengers.

Theres alot I need to catch up on, but to me thats the fun of the hunt, and not having them straight away makes me want them more badly and it is that much sweeter when I finally get them. At the end of the day, they are toys, which bring enjoyment.

My advice would be take a break. Buy them one pack at a time. Play with them one by one. Appreciate them, don't just buy them and stick em on a shelf, then you'll love them so much more.

Funny, I didn't start this thread, but it seems like my post hit home to some. I have and will continue to log in almost every day (Shane, you can check that), and post frequently. I have good positive feedback from trades, etc. I am down with the site, totally. I appreciate the "it is what you make it" speech, but my post was not for MMMV staff to get all defensive, it was to say that the figures are great, and slumping (for this guy who started posts like this) comes from the newer members who are having a harder time (time and money) getting the harder to find mates. Trade references are more geared towards you that are hording 20 Super Skrulls and the new kid who did not start collecting until 2007 who has to pay $20 + bucks for it on ebay. I feel worse for the UK guys. I bid on the Blood mates, Fujis, only to be outbid, but I am an active supporter of the toys and this community, and if what I posted struck a cord with anyone, TBT, then you may need to point the finger back towards yourselves. I have every right to express my opinion just like the guy who posted this thread. I was not posting to offend, just to share. Loosen up.

Thanks to Andy for starting this site, Shane for running it, TBT for the contests and many other contributions, Fujis for the MMHQ and community service, and the other staff for making yourselves available.

But most of all, thanks to all the great customizers, and DST for being the best!

I'm out...

I have been more disinterested in the MMMV. It has been really boring here lately. All I read is people bitchin' about something or another, requesting obscure figures that only a few people want, and hating on the attempts DST makes to reach a broader crowd. No one seems to know exact release dates on anything, so the info is partly unreliable. The MMMV stars have not spent much time making these threads exciting (minus the photo hunt). And, with MMCentral closed, and the MMHeadquarters scaresly updated, there is no shine out there. Most of the guys who own the rare mates don't want to trade / sell them. The one new cool site, MMDatabase, is a look but don't touch teaser. Ebay is way overpriced, and none of the LCS's can ever touch older Minimates.

This thread is depressing...

Shouldn't this go in "The Complaint Thread"? :biggrin:

Like they said, if you're bored with the place do something to spice it up. It will either make it more exciting or get you banned. Either way, your problem is solved! :lol:

Back on topic: hang in there, Crippler. I'm sure something will come out soon to get your Minimate devotion fired up again!

Thanks to Andy for starting this site, Shane for running it, TBT for the contests and many other contributions, Fujis for the MMHQ and community service, and the other staff for making yourselves available.

Yeah, thanks Andy! :andy:

Getting defensive? If I were getting defensive I'd say quit yer whining. ;)

Instead, I say, relax, we all go through a little slump. It happens. Take a break. We'll be here when you return.

I understand where your coming from but my loss steams from a different direction. I'm still playing to catch up game with the bills and such from when I broke the ankle so I have the inability to afford mates at the moment. It also doesn't help my boys (7,8) have over the last month gotten the mates bug (it's what I nicknamed it) and opened packages of mates and some of them not the cheaper (if you can call any of em that) ones. The fact I haven't been able to work on any of my customs (yea i'm sure Antacost just chuckled at that). Nor am I getting replies from people on the want/have or parts. It's a slump I plan on breaking out of. As for me i'll go commando while i visit the site. :biggrin:

I appreciate the "it is what you make it" speech, but my post was not for MMMV staff to get all defensive,

I am not staff... I've been around for a long time that's all. I'm defensive of the site because your first post was pretty much saying someone else needs to do something I'm bored... and that is an attitude that is slowly drowning out what this place used to be. It's not 'someone else's job to keep this place fun, it's everyone's.

and slumping (for this guy who started posts like this) comes from the newer members who are having a harder time (time and money) getting the harder to find mates.

I believe that's not what Crippler was saying, he's saying that he has minimate burnout, and oddly I'd say that your completely the opposite as this happens with most of the guys when the only thing left to chase are things new releases that we can pre-order, really leaving nothing to chase. Be happyl for something to chase, trust me when you don't have it you'll wish you did.

Trade references are more geared towards you that are hording 20 Super Skrulls and the new kid who did not start collecting until 2007 who has to pay $20 + bucks for it on ebay.

No one has any obligation to sell what they own, let alone at a lower price just because you're a member, that's another popular misunderstanding.

People on here who have spares of hard to find stuff are in my experience way more generous than they could be, given the creeping market rates for some of this stuff. As an example, I sold my last spare black spidey pack for $20 to another member earlier in the year, that member had been around for along time and earned my respect so I didn't think twice about it. What doesn't get people a deal is joining up then asking for cheap or free stuff, there is a difference between being generous and stupid.

and if what I posted struck a cord with anyone, TBT, then you may need to point the finger back towards yourselves. I have every right to express my opinion just like the guy who posted this thread. I was not posting to offend, just to share. Loosen up.

I'm not sure it did strike a chord, most of the posts since have been either about the original topic or disagreeing with you. However... you are correct, you do have a right to your opinion, as I do mine and my right to reply.

There was no finger pointing, I'm sorry if you took it that way. :)

I was not posting to offend either just to point out ( not with a finger ;) ) how this place really works.

But most of all, thanks to all the great customizers, and DST for being the best!

Ady and Shane get HUGE credit, one for starting and the other for taking over this place. If there are individuals who have more of a say than anyone else it is those two. I shouldn't get thanks for the contest's they happen all the time an I've held a grand total of 1 :D

I'm out...

In the interest's of not coming across like I'm picking a fight I'm not going to make a joke about sexual preferences here! ;) Damn tempting though it might be.... :whistling:

T.

I feel right now that we're kind of coming off of a "sugar high" for minimates. We had so much new product shown to us between Toy Fair and the summer conventions, and now that the "high" has worn off, we're back to waiting week to week on more mates....with more great stuff on the way. It's almost overwhelming compared to the last several years of minimate collecting, when there was virtually nothing.

I really need to get my act in gear and post some pics. I've got Doc Brown and Marty trying to explain to Dr. Doom the concept of a flux capacitor. I can also have my minimates duke it out to determing who the bigger dick is: Superman, Biff Tannen, or Col. Tigh (hint: it's still Superman).

I never really had a 'Minimate slump' so I can't speak to that matter directly. The only advice I can give is to play with your Minimates. Pose them, make quick-customs, take pictures, use them as a creative outlet. It's too easy to get into the "Gotta have what's new" trap, then it gets to a point where it's not fun anymore. The original Spider-Man Minimate from Wave 2 is a damn fun Minimate, and he's what, four years old? Iron Man, Ryu, Sauron, Cap... how can you get bored? :D

For those of you bored with MMMV, Hamster Wolverine says hi.

49730INQM_w.jpg

(Shamelessly stolen)

Some of you may have read a bit of this when the blogs were still up. If so, move along quietly.... :P

Way back in 2003, I was aware of Trek minimates. I was aware of Bruce Lee minimates. I laughed at the Rock 'mates. B)

I heard about the Marvel line and passed the first few times I saw them. I passed on the variants I found at Suncoast. (All 3 of the first variants at once - visorless Cyclops, black Elektra and black Spidey, and I passed 'em up.) When I saw the 5 packs at Toys R Us, I thought, "What the hell - they're cheaper than buying the 2 packs, and if I don't like 'em, the kids can have them." So I bought all three 5 packs. And I was hooked. I bought them all - even going back to get many of the 3"ers. I was happy with the Marvel stuff but I really wanted DC mates to go with them.

Then I found out about the C3 line and the potential DC mates. I was overjoyed. I'm mostly a DC guy - haven't read much Marvel since I was a kid, so the C3 announcement was perfect for me. I knew I'd be collecting this line for a LONG time if C3 worked.

We all know how that turned out.

Due to being laid off several times (and other financial issues that came up as a result of the layoffs) along with the huge delay we went thru waiting for new product, I briefly considered selling my entire collection on Ebay. Ady suggested that I hang on and ride the dry spell out. Luckily, I did.

Now DC 'mates are back. Marvel is stronger than ever. We've got 24, Rocky, BTTF, BSG and Trek (again). I'm excited about the toys and happy I stuck with it. We all go through a period of let down - regardless of what line or item you collect. You'll get through it and continue collecting... or, you'll sell everything you've gotten up to this point on Ebay only to regret it a year or two later. :D

I know I've said this before, but it needs to be said again. Thanks Ady.

...If you think the place has become boring think about what you can do to change that.

Rather than just starting new threads everytime you want to make a post, search for an existing one on the same topic and give your opinions there, one thread that's a discussion is way more fun than 10 threads with one post in them each where people answer the same question over and over. ( "How do I get parts from DST" or "When is ... coming out" are prime examples of this) The search function here is pretty amazing and it seems no one uses it.

... say more post less....

TBT! my friend, you speak the gospel. You've inspired me to post my own thread about this very issue in the Feedback area.

Now back to the original discussion, here is my suggestion for anyone losing the passion. Take all your Minimates, every single one, and pack them up in boxes and put them in the closet. Remove any visual cue from your collecting room that would remind you of Minimates. If you get a shipment of new stuff in and aren't particularly keen on opening them, pack them away too. Let your stuff sit for a week minimum, maybe two weeks or even a month.

Eventually, you will start to get the itch to play with a few. Go to your closet and bring out ONE two-pack. Have a ball, but just get out two Minimates. The next day, two more, and so on. Maybe pull two at random. But above all else, don't bring them all out at once. You see, what you need to do is re-collect your own collection. I guarantee you'll find the little buggers fun again, and it's MUCH cheaper than selling & re-buying your collection. You'll be a mini-holic again in no time.

...I went through what I'd call a "pre-midlife-crisis" in my early 20's when I lost all interest in comics, toys, etc. Partly for financial reasons, partly by lack of "mind-blowing product", a floundering relationship, and over-critiqueing the "what's my life all about" questions.

It's called "growing up". :D Glad you escaped that mainstream black hole, cdubya and are still with us on here on the fringes. :)

And Deadpool, it's good to see you around again. Hang in there.

Crippler, take a break. But don't chuck it all too soon. We're not going anywhere, we'll be here when those shakes start up.

Getting defensive? If I were getting defensive I'd say quit yer whining. ;)

Instead, I say, relax, we all go through a little slump. It happens. Take a break. We'll be here when you return.

Shane,

"I'm out" was me going out of town to Nashville for 1 day for work. I would not let Timothy rile me up. It sounds like he needs some excitement in his life...

In the interest's of not coming across like I'm picking a fight I'm not going to make a joke about sexual preferences here! Damn tempting though it might be....

Don't be a bitch Timmy. Takes one to know one.

WW4M