UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I'm losing interest lately

I don't know what it is, but the most recent waves of minis have not gotten me excited. I don't know if it is just a funk I'm in or what. Anyone else feeling the same way? I just got the Avengers wave, Star Trek Wave, BSG wave 2, Marvel Zombies box set, and DC wave 5. I got this all in the past few weeks and none of them really made me say wow. I have loved all the DC mates up till now (even though I don't read any DC comics other than Batman related ones). Wave 5 was disappointing even though I was looking forward to the Hawkman/Hawkwoman set. Marvel Zombies set was blah too. I thought they looked great when they were announced, but now that I have them, I really don't care.

I think once the Marvel minimates waves 19 and 20 come out that I'll get back into the swing of things. Those waves have quite a few figures that I have wanted for a looong time. Anyways, anyone else kinda lost interest in minimates lately, or is it just me?

I don't know what it is, but the most recent waves of minis have not gotten me excited. I don't know if it is just a funk I'm in or what. Anyone else feeling the same way? I just got the Avengers wave, Star Trek Wave, BSG wave 2, Marvel Zombies box set, and DC wave 5. I got this all in the past few weeks and none of them really made me say wow. I have loved all the DC mates up till now (even though I don't read any DC comics other than Batman related ones). Wave 5 was disappointing even though I was looking forward to the Hawkman/Hawkwoman set. Marvel Zombies set was blah too. I thought they looked great when they were announced, but now that I have them, I really don't care.

I think once the Marvel minimates waves 19 and 20 come out that I'll get back into the swing of things. Those waves have quite a few figures that I have wanted for a looong time. Anyways, anyone else kinda lost interest in minimates lately, or is it just me?

Just you...but hey if you are that bored and want to get rid of any variants pm me!!! :)

I kinda can understand what your saying....I think some of the problem is that we get the anouncements and the pictures very ealy and then wait for the the product...especially over the con season we see tons of pics of whats coming that by the time it gets to our hands some of the magic is lost or worn away....the information age is wonderful but it can take some of the shine off of stuff like this and monthly comics with some much advance notice and advertising....we can overhype things in our own minds just to be let down once it gets in our hands...I know what I am talking about here from personal experience....I have mg upon mgs of pics of minimates that have ben posted from all over and earlier this year I would constantly go over them, eagerly anticipating what was to come....the result was that when I did get them they didnt have any wow left for me.....once I got too busy to go over the pics I found that once I got the minis they were fantastic...and I usually found one inparticular that was my favorite and it likely wasnt one that I was drooling over in the pics....perfect example is the modern Red Tornado...pics of DC 5 had me drooling over the Hawks of course..thought everyone else was good too but the Hawks were the ones I couldnt wait for....when I got them last week and had them all opened sure the Hawks were great but there was something about Red Tornado that has e hooked and as soon as I can get another one he will join Dr Fate in the group of minis that tend to travel with me for downtime minimate adventures.....personally I am not bored with it or losing interest just very busy to properly enjoy them....I havent made a movie with them since march and have a hard time finding time for just random playing but I do love them and will keep on keeping on with them.......wow this sure was a ramble...how can you tell I am avoiding doing any homework which I really need to be doing....I hope this makes sense to anybody that reads it :)

Jeff of the Minis

You are not alone CRIPPLER, I too am in a funk with the mates. Could be any of the following reasons for me:

1-going to school has me thinking about other stuff, even though my first major project centered around minimates ;)

2-Believe it or not,lately, there may have been too many that have come out for me too enjoy them properly

3-Within a matter of two weeks, I got my two biggest wants-Thor and Hawkman- which were such a relief to finally have.I was so afraid of this, but, I have spent sooo much time thinking about these two mates in particular, and now that I have them, there isn't one mate now, barring the announcement of G.I.Joe minimates, that I need to have. There are a few that I want to get, like Red Son Superman, Archangel, and Hawkeye, but my feelings now are "I get 'em when I get 'em, no big deal"

4-The hunt for G.I.Joe 25th anniversary figures

5-A recent transaction that left me holding "the toy you will never own"-according to an issue of Toyfare Thanks again you know who :whistling:

I've gone through phases where I am a little disinterested in my mates but usually what happens is I don't pay attention to them for awhile until I just happen to notice one and then I think wow this guy is really cool. Don't worry you'll get over it Crippler ( and if you don't, pm me and I'll give y our minimates a good home) .;)

Don't fret Crippler, I am in a "slump" too. With my girlfriend and movies and HALO# and THE ORANGEBOX I

feel like I have no room for minimates any more...........this might get serious.

I have been more disinterested in the MMMV. It has been really boring here lately. All I read is people bitchin' about something or another, requesting obscure figures that only a few people want, and hating on the attempts DST makes to reach a broader crowd. No one seems to know exact release dates on anything, so the info is partly unreliable. The MMMV stars have not spent much time making these threads exciting (minus the photo hunt). And, with MMCentral closed, and the MMHeadquarters scaresly updated, there is no shine out there. Most of the guys who own the rare mates don't want to trade / sell them. The one new cool site, MMDatabase, is a look but don't touch teaser. Ebay is way overpriced, and none of the LCS's can ever touch older Minimates.

This thread is depressing...

I have been more disinterested in the MMMV. It has been really boring here lately. All I read is people bitchin' about something or another, requesting obscure figures that only a few people want, and hating on the attempts DST makes to reach a broader crowd. No one seems to know exact release dates on anything, so the info is partly unreliable. The MMMV stars have not spent much time making these threads exciting (minus the photo hunt). And, with MMCentral closed, and the MMHeadquarters scaresly updated, there is no shine out there. Most of the guys who own the rare mates don't want to trade / sell them. The one new cool site, MMDatabase, is a look but don't touch teaser. Ebay is way overpriced, and none of the LCS's can ever touch older Minimates.

No offense WW4M, I wasn't depressed reading this thread until I read yours.

I love MMMV!

I am slightly addicted to this site. It is because of this sight that my love for MM has doubled, and thus so has my collection. I look at the pictures I posted for my collection when I first started posting and I am amazed how many mates I have purchased since then, either new or new to me. Numerous of those coming from people on here. Thank you all.

I agree that there has been a lot of whinning, but you have to take your lumps in all situations. There have been a lot of amazing things happen here in the last couple of months. The most recent being the Mates for Charity and the new custom contest. There are attempts by people to start interesting threads that could possibly be interesting to all ie the humor thread and the whats good in life thread. Any way I am going to go play in the arcade now.

I've gone through a few slumps myself, but I have to say that my MM interest has been soundly renewed better than ever. So far, this year (and the next ) has had the most exciting announcements (to me personally): improved Marvel waves, Defenders boxset, solid DC waves (with a few unexpected surprises), more BSG (with an exclusive), Star Trek, an announcement for "For a Few Dollars More" (never saw that coming!), DST freebies (though I haven't received mine...yet), etc. Despite a few "less than sterling" releases, I'd have to say that this has probably been my favorite MM year. Though I do kind'a feel what some of you have stated in that we occassionally get "too much, too soon" (info. and shared release dates); I feel a bit overwhelmed sometimes when I receive too much at one time. Not that I'm complaining by any means, I eventually find time to explore them all based on what my interest happens to be that week. If you don't mind me asking, "how old are you Crippler"? I ask because I went through what I'd call a "pre-midlife-crisis" in my early 20's when I lost all interest in comics, toys, etc. Partly for financial reasons, partly by lack of "mind-blowing product", a floundering relationship, and over-critiqueing the "what's my life all about" questions. Not to be presumptuous, but you might just need a break from it all to get your priorities straight and decide what's truly important to you.

I have been more disinterested in the MMMV. It has been really boring here lately. All I read is people bitchin' about something or another requesting obscure figures that only a few people want, and hating on the attempts DST makes to reach a broader crowd. No one seems to know exact release dates on anything, so the info is partly unreliable. The MMMV stars have not spent much time making these threads exciting (minus the photo hunt). And, with MMCentral closed, and the MMHeadquarters scaresly updated, there is no shine out there. Most of the guys who own the rare mates don't want to trade / sell them. The one new cool site, MMDatabase, is a look but don't touch teaser. Ebay is way overpriced, and none of the LCS's can ever touch older Minimates.

:mrt:

I hit that point a few months back.

I bought a lot of Minimates and wasn't even opening them. That's when you know you've reached a certain point.

But while a few of us who have been around for years may be losing enthusiasm, there are new people feeling the addiction for the first time.

All is not lost.

WW4M: This hobby is what you make it. If you're not happy with what's going on here and on other sites than the onus is on you to do something about it.

If you want certain discussions to be taking place then start those threads. If you want more contests, start them. And if you're not happy with the closure of MMC and the sporadic updates at the HQ (guilty as charged) than start your own site.

And Crippler, I know exactly how you feel.

Crippler and WW4M got it right. There's been so much so fast lately that minimates lose their specialness because they're just another thing that you get every week. Like Danny said, I've got mates that I haven't opened in months.

And yeah, WW4M, I agree with you about the site. We've reached the "Okay, now what? We made it through the year of no mates, and almost through the year of plenty. We need to decide our purpose"

I still love the little things!

The only thing that is annoying me is getting hold of them, and the price on a tight budget.

The Avengers Wave really boosted my love for them. I currently have my Avengers fighting the X-Men for no apparant reason.

I don't think I will give up on Minimates for a very long time. :biggrin:

Avengers are out in the UK? Where?

Patriot

My LCS had them, but I think they are all sold out now. I ordered most of them from a shop in Plymouth that Winkerbean hooked me up with.

it sucks that you feel this way man...but you get out of these sites what you put into them...for here its a message board so people are going to vent and everyone is entitled to an opinion...as for other sites they are run by individuals and they also have other things to do besides the sites so give them a chance/break....I say just chil and enjoy the wide spread of minimate goodness that there is around

Jeff of the Minis

I agree with Fujis, this place is what the members make it... It's a community, it's not up to (or fun for) a select few to entertain the rest of you.

The reason MMV has an rep for being great in the past is because some of the 'older' members had a lot of fun talking nonsense making up silly contests and generally just joking around with each other and enjoying themselves. A lot of that was based on knowing when and when not to post and when they did post it almost always added to the thread and wasn't just 'me too' .

We've grown from a few dozen hardcore fans to well over a thousand members, as things grow they change, that's part of life.

One reason it's perceived as less fun is that people move on so we've lost some of our original flavor and to be brutally honest it seems that a lot of the new folks just want to be entertained, get free stuff or complain about DST rather than give some thing positive to the community ( YES that's a sweeping generalization before anyone takes it personally).

MMV is still probably one of the friendlier places on the internet and for the most part it's fun, if it wasn't no one would be reading this you'd all be off doing something else.

If you think the place has become boring think about what you can do to change that.

Rather than just starting new threads everytime you want to make a post, search for an existing one on the same topic and give your opinions there, one thread that's a discussion is way more fun than 10 threads with one post in them each where people answer the same question over and over. ( "How do I get parts from DST" or "When is ... coming out" are prime examples of this) The search function here is pretty amazing and it seems no one uses it.

If you do want to start a new topic, what sort of threads would be fun for everyone to contribute too, do you really need to start a "My aunties cat's toy hamster looks like wolverine" thread... ( actually that sounds kinda cool but you get my point), starting topics are supposed to ignite conversation and debate not just bump your post count.

Talking of post counts... it's also gotten to the stage where there are a lot of me too posts or one/two word answers. they add nothing to the threads and dont make the poster any more of a member than if they didn't post it.

I've said this a lot to some of you... say more post less.

ok that turned out to be a bit of a soapbox rant but as I said at the top this place IS THE MEMBERS so if it's boring then it's really your own fault... ;)

T.

p.s. as for the original topic... I go through stages where I wonder why I still collect then others where I'm all excited for the new stuff... I think thats inevitable for something I've been collecting for years though.

I get a little bored with minis on occassion, but then there are always breaks between releases and such. It happens.

As for becoming bored with this site...it is what you make it. Its always been that way, hopefully, always will. If it bores you, make it better or go find something else to do with your time. Nuff said.

I enjoy it here and with all the contests and discussion, I stay interested. I also enjoy the trading I do here. Older and rare minis are hard to come by, but they were that way for most people that have them. I don't know about many of the other collectors, but nobody just handed me mine. I had to track them down. Also, once you find a tough mini, I doubt you'd be anxious to give it up again. Personally, I have never said no to anyone if I had a rare mini they needed. In fact, I try hard to help put rare minis into the hands of collectors and usually at a loss on my end. BUT, if you're looking for hand outs, look elsewhere.