UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Obscure Marvel Characters

TM2 Dinobot

Imagine if you will a boxed set comprised of third rate minimate villains from Captain America #319. The massacre at the Bar With No Name. Now that would be an "obscure Marvel" characters wet dream for minimate collectors. Imagine the biggest boxed set in minimate history (we all know this'll never happen in a billion years). The set would include the following minimates:

319.jpg

1. Birdman
  2. Cheetah
  3. Commander Kraken
  4. Cyclone
  5. Firebrand
  6. Grappler
  7. Hellrazor
  8. Highjacker
  9. Jaguar
  10. Letha
  11. Mind-Wave
  12. Mirage
  13. Rapier
  14. Ringer
  15. Shellshock
  16. Steeplejack
  17. Turner D. Century
  18. Vamp
  19. Scourge in bartender disguise
319a.jpg

Brain Drain would be excellent, but how to pull that look off?

Braindrain_01.JPG

Great - now I'm thinking about what it would take to make that. If I scuplted the brain and eyes, then I could use twist-ties to support them and look like nerves & the spinal column. What to use for the dome, though...

i dont make customs, but if i did, i would probably take a translucent minimate head, like from one of the emerald city con promo figures and somehow hollow the sucker out from behind and use that. as i write and think about it, that may not be very practical, but maybe it will give you an idea to piggyback off of.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I've found something that I think works (thanks to my wife) - the bulb end of a disposable pipette.

post-66-1192495454_thumb.jpg

Trim off the end, and you've got a Minimate-scaled dome. Batgirl models one below.

post-66-1192495484_thumb.jpg

I also found time this weekend to work on Brain Drain's head. Well, brain.

post-66-1192495493_thumb.jpg

post-66-1192495507_thumb.jpg

The brain is made from Sculpey, while the eyeballs, eyestalks and spinal column are made from MagicSculpt.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as relatively obscure characters that will likely never get figures made of them, I would like to see the Squadron Supreme and the Great Lakes Avengers box sets. I'm sure that those would sell like hot cakes! I don't know how they could pull off Flatman, though. . .

Bring on Speedball and The Nth Man! Also Air Raiders, though that was a toy tie-in comic. These are the titles I remember from back when I collected comics, aside from the biggies like X-Men et al.

Hmm, Maybe Death's Head II packed with Dr. Neeker :D

Regarding the Marvel UK stuff, let me throw in my vote for, um, :captainbritain: (Alan Davis is my all time favorite comic artist, btw). He ain't that obscure, but he needs to be made. An original Excalibur team box set (w/new paint jobs for Nightcrawler and Kitty) would be awesome, and certainly no less obscure than the Defenders. . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

a U-foes set would be cool but a slingers set would make me weak at the knees ,oh i know its a bit of f the subject as he's a main character but why dont we have a black bolt come to think of it am inhumans set wouls be awsome :)

I'm all for obscure Marvel characters. Like Mysterio, Kraven, Aunt May, The Lizard, The Vulture, Jubilee, Toad, Sauron, The Inhumans, Excalibur, Skrulls, The Ultimates, Bucky, Cloak, Dagger, Deadpool...

On second thought, I'm beginning to think that truly obscure Marvel characters are going to have to get in line.

Bucky, Deadpool, Toad and all those Spidey villains you named? Obscure?

Since when?