UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Crisis of Infinite Minimates

neolego

I was thinking where to put this topic when I stopped and read the tile "Infinite Minimates". I have never really thought about that title before, but it does fit the discussion.

Am I the only one here that is drowning in Minimates? Seriously, I'm somewhat of a completionist (not counting Variants and exclusives) and I have purchased every wave of Minimate so far, up until the past few months. I was going over my checklist today and noticed I still haven't picked up Series 15 or 16, DC series 5 just came out and I haven't order that yet. On top of that, there are the Taskmaster/US Agent Exclusive, The Spider-man Boxed Set, The Defenders Boxed Set, the Jack/Drazen 2 Pack, the Under the Sea Marty Exclusive......did I leave any out? Holy cow!!

So, Infinite Minimates is the key term here. They seem to be coming from everywhere at the same time. I'm not saying this is a bad thing by any stretch. In fact I'm almost giddy at all the vareity. I just find that it's getting hard to keep up, espcially not having a store close buy and having to order everything online and then try to keep up with what I've ordered and where I've ordered it. Needless to say now I know how Brittney Spears feels when she's not on the cover of every magazine in the Grocery store......it's an addiction.

So, I will post he question again, am I the only one here drowning in these Infinite Mates, or can you guys feel my pain?

neo

I'm right there with you, man. I'm way behind on DC, still don't have Rocky yet, and haven't even had time to open up BSG 2, Star Trek, Avengers wave, or Spidey box!

Will the madness never end? Actually, I hope not!

totally agree while it is not a bad thing to have so many mates coming out it would be nice to know actual release dates. when is BTTF coming out? that is the only real sort of frustration I feel with mates right now. Besides that I am riding wave after wave of new mates, and trying to keep my head above water.

I can't afford to buy every wave so I have to be selective with what I buy. I don't think that I own an enitre wave. I have maybe one or two sets from each wave, apart from Ult. X-Men. I will have to be selective on the Avengers Wave, although I want them all and have to choose which Thor I get straight away as I will only be able to afford one right now and the Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver set.

I sucks quite a bit, but the thrill of the chase can be quite fun, though somewhat frustrating when you can't get a Nightcrawler.

Since and including WWC I have aquired over nearly 100 mates!!! 1/3 were new the other 2/3 were new to me. I had to make a whole new shelf to place them in my collection and I still don't have them all in one spot. I love it my wallet doesn't. but it will get over it.

Yeah, I'd agree that it seems like a ton of mates are coming out... and yeah, it's frustrating to try and buy them all with a limited budget.

Here's my take...

I decided long ago that I had to be selective of the things I buy. Being a big ST and SW fan, I found it was too easy to get buried trying to get one of everything... especially since it's become too common for toy makers to flood the market with lots of uniform variants and stuff that just increase the burden (afterall, who needs just-out-of-the-shower Kirk, or digging in the garden Picard, or Law Clerk Luke Skywalker). To be truthful, it's in my nature to try and get complete sets.

I like minimates, becasue the $$ burden isn't as steep as the big AA/DST figures which I started collecting, but I'm finding that I still have to focus on the licenses that I really like such as BSG, ST, BTF and maybe some of 24. SOmetimes I'll break the rule and get a DC or Marvel or SF mate if I really think it's cool, but as a general rule of thumb I'm trying to stay within those lines since so much more is coming.

That being said, I'm a lot frustrated that minimates seem to come out in a single wave (no real ability to see additional stock after the initial release) and that is necessary to pre-order or scoop them up as soon as you see it in the store, without the ability to spread the buying out over a month or two, without risking the stock running out.

Good luck with your collections and finding the balance between collecting and the supply of money.

For stuff I've missed or can't buy on the spot, I use the Want/Have List here and Ebay. Of course may end up being more expensive than when buying them first run, but even for chases it's a viable options.

Back on topic, I wouldn't mind being a completist, but baby expenses and lack of space prevent me so I've opted to go for Marvel and DC only. Given the fact that even Marvel I had to hunt ebay for older waves, it's possible I may turn around and opt to buy older stuff after the fact, but no a planned thing.

I can totally understand the over whelming feeling....everything came so fast too....in my file at my LCS Ive got a set of DC series 4, two sets of DC series 5, one and half sets of both BSG and ST, two sets of the Avengers wave and the exclusive player 2 Ryu and Akuma 2 pack...pheww for a total of 31 packs there....untill my student loans get here Ive been only able to get a bare minimum as food and bills and kids come first. My last big pick up was the Rocky set, the zombies 2 packs of ST and 2 packs of BSG. The biggest thing that gets me is the space to put all of this...Ive managed to get stuff moved around for everything else so far but my poor DCD mates are living here right now:

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

all 4 series (plus a couple customs) fit in there with some room yet. I am hoping to get their shelf ready before I get series five but Ive got alot of school work to keep up with too so I am not making myself any promises lol! oh and I am tinkering with a seperate containment/display for the zombies but thats still in the planning stages :)

Jeff of the Minis

I just lost count after 1500, it's overwhelming to the fact that now I don't really know everything I have....lol

Never thought I'd say this but I need a month long break. :P

Dude I have a rough idea of your collection and I am in awe....you are the man collection wise...I dont know how you do it but its truely amazing :)

Jeff of the Minis

Hey guys

yea its a custom....a friend of mine does vinyl bags so I had her make this shaving kit for me...I'll gladly pass along the site where you can get a look at her stuff and contact her about getting your own done...just tell her I sent you guys!

http://www.myspace.com/rlinesdesigns

glad you like it...I love it!

Jeff of the Minis

whats average price?

it was $28...but you would need to add shipping to that....and its in canadian dollars so it'll be a little different after exchange...just contact her and she'll work it out with you guys...I'm glad you guys like it so much

Jeff of the Minis

I consider myself a completionist, but only with certain waves, and some waves worse than others. For instance...with Marvel, I have pretty much every figure released loose and all packaing variations mint & sealed. With DC, I just have them loose. LOTRs, I have loose & MIB, all packaging variations. I am now on to the Star Trek minis and only have them loose. I sold off most of my 3"ers and have no plans to collect Rocky, SFII, BTTF, etc. I do plan to pick up the minis fashioned from the films such as Platoon & Silence of the Lambs.

How many do I have? Counting spares... A LOT.