UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Video Game Discussion

neolego

Well guys, it's official, the Wii is coming. I've never, EVER, been more psyched about a Console release and I was one of the few who got an N64. The Wii is going to be so awesome. Here are the highlights for those interested:

Release Date: November 19th

Price (system): $249.99 (bundled with Wii Sports)

Price (software): $49.99

Price (remote): $39.99

Price (nunchuk): $19.99

Launch Game #s: 30 to be released by the end of the year, More than half at launch.

Notable Features:

-Wiiconnect24 where you console will be always connected to the internet (pending that you have internet connection...)

-Virtual Console will have 3 games at launch (Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, and Legend of Zelda). Games range from 300WiiPoints ($5) for NES, 500WiiPoints ($8) for SNES, and 1,000WiiPoints ($10) for N64 games.

-Wii Channel is the new feature, in which the system's set up is "Channel" oriented. You have a basic chanel for your disc drive (to play games) as well as one for the Vitual console. There are also channels for Weather which is updated continually, Opera browser in which you can surf the web at no extra cost, Photo where you can view and edit photos from an SD memory card, News like the weather that is continually updated, and, finally, the Mii Chanel in which you can create and customize a number of Wii Avatars.

-On the subject of the Wii Avatars. The Avatars can be used in Wii Sports for your player. They can also be downloaded into the memory of the Wii Remote and taken to a friends house so you can use your Avatar on your friend's Wii Sports game.

-There are also Wii Mail and Wii Message Board functions, although those haven't really been touched on much.

Other Notes:

-Metroid Prime 3 has been confimed to be a "2007 Game."

-Nintendo will launch 3 first party titles with the Wii, the first is Wii Sports which is included, second is Excitruck, and lastly is The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

-The first confimed "Online" game will be Pokemon Battle Revolution which will release during the Japanesse launch window and will be available here "shortly after."

Well, I guess that's enough of an overload for now. I hope you guys are as excited about this as I am. Maybe not, and that's fine. I'll keep you guys posted (for those who care) the more I find out. neo

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, Ady, you just enjoy yourself over there with all your fancy graphics and re-used gameplay. :D

The Wii is a revolution, and as Nintendo stated, "its not 'Next', it's 'new'." There is just so much potential I can't stand it. I'm half tempted to trade in my 360 for more Wii games. The only thing that's stopping me right now is the fact that I can stream music, pictures, and videos to my 360. Man, too bad Nintendo isn't offering that...

One quick update, NOA has confirmed that there will be NO DVD playback for the Wii. neo

A UK pricepoint would be handy, any word on that yet?

Im all for innovation and new goodness but I just cant get excitied about the Wii after the mess that was the Cube (and I was SOOO excited over that, even going at midnight on launch day to get it)

It is rumored to be £149 in Europe, however Ninteno is not holding their "official" press in Europe until tomorrow. But, I'd stay that £149 is a safe bet.

I also know your pain about the Cube Ady. I was in line day one and watched month after month as my sweet little cube lost more and more steam. Although the Cube had some classics games, it was just the red-headed step-child of the last gen. However, and I said this with confidence, that WILL NOT happen again. The Wii will be the best system of this Generation and I believe will go on to be #1 again. neo

I'll be getting the Wii eventually, probably when Smash Bros comes out (anybody have a definite date on that yet?). In the meantime going to try to sell off my Gamecube & GBA.

On a related note ... anyone want to buy a GBA, Gamecube, and a bunch of controllers, memory cards & games? :D

Nestle, I didn't mention bridge.....but that sounds fun ;)

Smash Bros. Brawl has only been confirmed as "sometime next year." If I were a betting man I would put my money on Holiday Season (Nov) of next year complete with online play. Why? Allow me to support my theory. Nintendo is going to have, at least, 5 huge first party games for next year. They are PokeMon Battle Revolution, Metroid Prime 3, WarrioWare, Mario Galaxy, and Smash Bros. Those are all well established franchies and will fly off the shelf. We know that PokeMon Battle Rev will be released in December in Japan, so we can probably expect that before the end of Feb in the US. You've seen that WarrioWare is well on it's way to being finished so it will be out, probably, 1st quarter too. Then, I see Ninteno releasing Mario and Metroid in the Summer next year, because Summer is always slow. Both games are well on their way and I believe we will see Metroid First (possibly April/May). That leaves Smash Bros. Now, November has always been a BIG time for Nintendo. 2 years ago the DS was launched. Last year the WiFi was launched. This year the Wii is coming out. I would put my faith in the fact that Smash Bros will come, WiFi ready, packed to the brim with 3rd party characters (Bomberman, Sonic, Megaman, etc) and it will be released the end of November. Plus, at E3 when the game was mentioned they said that it "probably wouldn't" support online and the fans reacted to that. I think, just like they did with Metroid Prime:Hunters, Nintendo will re-work Smash Bros and release it Online. It would be a huge step back if they didn't. But again, that's just my "theory", take it as that.

Oh yeah, Lurch, why don't you give me a run down of GameCube games that you own. Since the Wii is backward compatable I may be interested in a few. neo

Just picked up the SW Lego game, seemed like some of you guys were enjoying that one and the wife actually seemed interested in that, and Ghost Recon. Still need to move some things around and get my ethernet connection together to download some maps from the Call to Duty game. Kind of hoping that it's as easy as Ady says it is, because I want to pick up Halo2 and play that one too. Is there anything new on the way I should keep a eye out for? Heading off to bed, but appreciate everyone's input on several games ;)

OK, here's one for everyone who's a vet of the gaming console...Is there a online or magazine you recommend that is unbiased when it comes to games? I've done the google thing and came up with pretty fair reviews so far, but was just curious what everyone is using to insure the games worth the hype? Also, has anyone here used gamefly(Netflix for games)?

I dont trust any reviews, everyone is different and a review written by one person (or a handful in EGMs case) jsut doesnt cut it, I'd go with Gamefly (not a UK thing so cant comment on it, although we have similar) and test out anything you're interested in.

Yeah as Ady says everyone has their own opinion when games are reviewed by various mags. It's really a matter of finding a reviewer that has your same view points as far as what makes for a good game. EGM used to be okay back in the day but now each reiewer (and the have more now) are biased toward there favorite type of game. Now I usually only go to www.IGN.com and browse various other sites (GameSpot, EGM, etc.).

Well, I disagree.

DON'T pick up XBox or Nintendo Power or any of those garbage mags.

I, however would trust EGM with my life. True, they onlym have 3 people rating each game (which is better than most mags who do 1), but I know their integrity and that they cannot be bought. If a game is crap, they say it like it is. Plain and simple.

That being said, if you're looking online 1up.com is my favorite, but IGN is good too.

Well, where do I start.

First to the Wii price point. I agree that the $250 (or whatever it is in Euro) is a little bit on the high side. Especially only coming with 1 remote and nunchuck. However, looking at that beside a $600 Playstation is going to be a nice view. The market dictates the price and as much as I think the console should be $200 with 2 remotes, I will not grumble one bit picking up my Wii on November 19th. However, for those more casual Nintendo fans (I'm lookin at you Ady) the good thing about Nintendo is the price will always drop. I'm sure within a year we will see the first price drop along with new system colors.

On the subject of Downloading/Updating the 360, Don my man, believe the hype. It's so simple, I trained my dog to do it. Although she can't put the disc into the tray (I'm afraid she will scratch it), she has learned to push the "OK" button on the media remote. She only presses it twice, and then I'm up and playing. OK, that story isn't exactly true, but the rumors are true. You simply put in Halo 2, a side tab pops up that tells you that you need to update. You can choose "Yes, Updated Now" or "No, Cancel Update". Once you press "OK" (on the media remote) or "A" on the controller the download begins. Once it's finished, then the game begins. If you can do that dude, you call me and I'll personally fly to your house and do it for you :D.

On the subject of LEGO: Star Wars II, I cannot express my deep LOVE for this game. It's just fun. It's not innovative, it's not graphically powerful, it's not overly difficult, but I cannot stop myself from playing. I was playing until 11pm last night. I was on the final level (the Death Star II) and I was trying to outrun the explosion and my 360 froze. Ticked me off, but I was too tired to keep playing. So, I'll finish the story mode tonight when I get home. And I'm only 60% done, there is still a bunch of stuff to do, which I love. Plus, my wife loves the game. It's actually the ONLY game (besides hextic which is one play) that my wife likes to play. Seriously, if you haven't bought this game yet, Shame on you, go get it!

Lastly, on the subject of Mags or Sites to check out. There are a few sites and a few mags that I swear by. The most comprehensive and trusted site that I've found is ign.com. I know there are a lot of bad things said about the site, but I've always found it informative and up to day. I also like advanced media network (wii.advancedmn.com). As far as magazines go, I have a sub to Nintendo Power (what can I say, I'm a fan boy) and a sub to Game Informer. I also really like EGM, they seem to say on top of things too. HOWEVER, all of that being said, I agree with Ady about reviews. Don't trust anyone else, because we are all different. All you have to do is read a couple of pages into this thread. If you were to ask me what games should you buy for the 360, I would say Oblivion, Madden 07, and LEGO Star Wars. Where other might recommend Dead Rising, Saint's Row, or Kameo - all of which I've played and wouldn't recommend to a prison inmate. So, reviews need to be taken with a grain salt. Personally, what I look for in reviews are the technical notes. Such as Graphics, Framerate, Sound, Multiplayer, Online, etc. However, when it comes to gameplay and control I leave that up to my fingers :).

Whoa, I wrote way to much. neo

Well, as you can tell from my name, I love the LEGOs and Star Wars so it's a Win/Win. Plus, it's just a dang fun game to play.

Now, if they released a Minimate Marvel or DC game, I would probably wet myself with excitement :D. neo

Well, as you can tell from my name, I love the LEGOs and Star Wars so it's a Win/Win. Plus, it's just a dang fun game to play.

Now, if they released a Minimate Marvel or DC game, I would probably wet myself with excitement :D. neo

I think they're doing a Batman Lego game!

Are you sure ?!?! I hadn't heard that. If that's true though I might even be MORE excited about that. I love Star Wars, but Batman is the best. I'd be more than happy to invest in any LEGO game made as well as the LEGO Star Wars games. neo

Lego star wars II FTW!!! i love this game, and the best part is my sister, who doesn't play many games other the harvest moon, likes to play too. Hoory for getting more people into gaming! LSWII is missing one thing: "It's a trap!!" :P :spiderham: