UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Video Game Discussion

neolego

TBT, it's all in good sport, you know that. I just had to get on your case for getting on Neolego's case for doing what you did too!

:D

Even though I didn't... ;)

Besides Neo started it... :P

And when have I ever been Wrong??? B)

*waits for the floodgates to open*

lol

T.

You want a list of times you've been wrong? Click here! :D

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fujis - Get a Wii if you want to pick up a game and just play without getting too involved. Don't get me wrong - there are games with storylines you can get into on the Wii, there are just more casual games (Wii Sports, Wii Carnival, Wii Play, Rayvin Rayman 2, etc) on this particular console.

Get a PS3 if you want to get involved in a game and play it for days at a time. (Also the blu-ray aspect of the ps3 is something to consider if you're into HD movies.)

Now, I want to know where I can buy the "bath in chocolate pudding and run around town buck naked duck taping barcodes to peoples butt cracks" game. Anybody got a link so I can order it online? :) (If gas keeps going up, I may just buy a moped like I've threatened my wife with all these years...)

Wow, I take one holiday weekend and this place goes to Heck!

First, I'd like to defend my boy Timbo. He's a great guy and what we were talking about a few pages back was all in respect. We both have different views (wow, two people with different views, what a concept), and even with different views we can agree to disagree and still be friendly. My point remains, this world would be a much better place if society could practice this too. There is Black and White in the world. Killing People is BAD. Helping an Old Lady across the street is GOOD. Setting a church on fire is BAD. Taking Christmas presents to the Orphange is GOOD. But, there is a lot of Grey in this world and for us to think people should not have a different point of view is to think the whole world should be like us and that is a legalistic trait, and legalism is the root of communism. So, let's let people on this board think for themselves..........even if they are wrong like TBT there :D.

Onto the subject of gaming systems. I would agree with the Nintendo DS as the system of choice. I'm ballparking here, but I probably play about 10 hours, give or take, a week on games. At least 6 or 7 of those hours are on my DS. You can't go wrong. I was actually in GameStop yesterday and there was this kid holding a PSP down by his side, playing a Demo DS at the store. When his Mom said it was time to go, he argued with her because he wanted to stay and play the DS.......I loved it!!

That being said, I assume that you are talking about a home console. Each console really speaks to a different audience so for us to answer the question for you is impossible, however we can give you our point of view on what we would recommend. And, let me preface my thoughts by saying I've owned a Wii and 360 since launch. I don't have a PS3 but my best friend owns only a PS3 so I've played it a bit (See Timbo, I've PLAYED it so my thoughts are valid, lol).

Short Version:

Wii - This is for the gamer who loves to get up and try new things. If you love the DS and look for innovation this is your system.

Xbox 360 - For the money, this is probably the way to go. The hardware is amazing and the library is diverse and exceptional in most cases. Plus, Xbox LIVE (even though it costs) is still the leading online service ever. So, if you are looking for a huge, powerful library and the best online you can find, this is your system.

Playstation 3 - Two Words: Blu-Ray. If you are a movie buff, you should probably go with PS3. Of the three consoles the PS3 is the best hardware, it's in another league. However, there are very, very few exclusive games that you can't find on Xbox and the online service just doesn't match up. So, if you want the graphic power of the Xbox but loves movies too, this is your system.

Wii - As has been said before, the Wii is, to me, the most fun console of this generation. However, you have to want it to be fun to enjoy it. You can play all of the games sitting your couch being boring. You can play Wii Sports Bowling from your chair and just flick your wrist and get great scores. However, the point is to get your butt up off the sofa. If you get into the games and really make an effort to enjoy the "wholeness" of the Wii you will love it. I love to get Wii Sports or WarioWare Wii or now Wii Fit and get up and have a blast. Getting the whole family swinging around Wii Wheels while we smash each other with Red Shells is priceless. And, we We Love Golf coming out soon, all of your Golf deams will come true. If you love the DS, you will love the Wii. It's innovative. No one would say DS graphics or horsepower is better than the PSP, but it's more fun to play. Same thing can be said for Wii. Games like Elebits, Boom Blox, Wii Sports, WarioWare, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, and Raving Rabbids are all games that will get you moving around in ways that take gaming to a new place. Where Nintendo has failed this generation is for the Hardcore gamer. Now, don't get me wrong there are a handful of titles that are top notice on Nintendo's little white box. Smash Bros Brawl is probably the most COMPLETE game I've ever played. Mario Galaxy is the best Mario since Mario 64 and will never get old for fans. Metroid Prime 3 is a masterpiece and shows the diversity of the Wiimote used for Hardcore games. I would also throw Zack and Wiki into this list because it it was on the greatest games I've played in a long time, and challenging as can be. There is also Twilight Princess for those Zelda or RPG fans and while it was launched with the system and looks like a GameCube game, it is still a zenith of gaming. HOWEVER, outside of Zack and Wiki, those hardcore games are 1st party games and few and far between. We are coming up on the 2 year anniversary on the system and they have what, maybe 5 hardcore A+ titles. Sure, those 5 may be amazing, but they are really missing a lot of good quality that we have all come to know from Nintendo. (If you want to know why I believe that be to true ask me later!)

Xbox 360 - This is my favorite machine, but I will try to not be biased. Let's start with what it does well and that's play games. It has probably the biggest library of the bunch and if not the biggest, the best rated. If you can think of any A+ titles from the past few years they are either going to be Nintendo 1st Party or on the Xbox. When you take Mario and Zelda out of the mix, you have Halo and Call of Duty (2 and 4) and Bioshock and Gears of War and GTAIV and Rock Band/Guitar Hero and, well, you get the point. All of the great games that everyone has been talking about can be played on your Xbox 360. However, not only to be played alone, the Xbox LIVE service is still flawless after all these years. Hooking up with your friends, chatting online, video chats, game invites, feedback, there is just so much that you can do with the community it's amazing. And, onto of that LIVE also includes the Marketplace where you can purchase and download Game Content for the games that you own as well as Movies, TV Shows, Themes, Music Videos, and stuff of the sort. All at high quality and a decent price (rivals iTunes). There is also the Xbox LIVE Arcade where you can download any number of wonderful games for your enjoyment. Then, on top of that, if you are "media" savvy, you can use your Xbox as an extender from your Windows PC and watch movies, view pictures, stream music, etc all from your home PC. It's an all in one box that you can do almost everything......except play Blu Ray disks!

Playstation 3 - Now, I've played the PS3 several times, but I don't own one so I haven't went through all of the bells and whistles, so this will be a partial review. As far as the library goes, most of the games this Gen, like the Xbox, can be played on the PS3. There are some exclusives that are Xbox only, Nintendo only, and of course PS3 only. The biggest one of the PS3 front is Metal Gear Solid 4. I can't speak well for the game cause I've played 2 previous and did not like them, so it's not much of a sell for me, but it is for a lot of people. One really great thing about the PS3 is what I've already mentioned, Blu Ray ability. If you want to play Blu Ray Movies, this is only $100 more than the Blu Ray player, so if you are going for Blu Ray, you might as well get the PS3 for the game quality too. Another cool this is the ability to download PSone games and transfer them to your PSP........if of course, you have one. They have online that is actually done pretty well. It's not near as nice as LIVE is, but it's also free so that's a plus. What Sony has done though is create an amazing set of Hardware. The Core system is so far advanced we haven't even seen companies scratch the surface yet. What that means is that the best is still to come on the PS3 and while it may not compare as well to the Xbox now, it has the momentum to make a huge shift in the next few years.

Games to play:

*Exclusives

Wii - Super Mario Galaxy*, Super Smash Bros Brawl*, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess*, Zack and Wiki*, Boom Blox*, Metroid Prime 3*, LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga, Super Paper Mario*, WiiFit*

Xbox 360 - Call of Duty 2 and 4, Halo 3*, Bioshock, Rock Band, LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Gears of War*, The Orange Box, Mass Effect, The Madden Series, Viva Pinata*, Tom Clancy: G.R.A.W., and yes, even GTA IV (or so I've heard, lol)

Playstation 3 - Call of Duty 4, Bioshock, Rock Band, Uncharted*, LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga, The Orange Box, The Madden Series, Resistance*, Ratchet and Clank*, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and yes, GTA IV

Well, hopefully that helps. And, if you get a Wii or 360 or both, hit us all up with your Gamertag or Friend code! neo