UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Video Game Discussion

neolego

Well, SMASH BROS RULES!

I now have a new character whom I picked out after listning to my friends' pre-release discussion. As everyone spoke of him as the one to not pick and that they would never play as this guy and that nobody would, I now play as Pokemon Trainer!

Seriously, if I can master him, then I would be difficult to beat. He has so much potential to kick ass and people write him off as sucky. Well, so much for them.

The other characters that I am good with are Meta Knight, Olimar, and still Samus.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been playing Brawl all day and I was surprised you get something for playing at least 10 hours. I forgot what it was but I thought it was funny. I have only 5 characters left to unlock. Sadly, those 5 will probably take me a while to get. I think Diddy Kong is my favorite of all the new characters so far. That little monkey sure packs a punch and I love that peanut shooter! Sucks that DST was this weekend. I could have used the extra time... So tempted to call in sick for work...

Wow, a busy weekend, too bad I haven't been around (You can blame Smash Bros for that :D)

Where to start? First, fbtb is a great place to get Avatars. That is how I got mine as well. And I love Av Iclone!

Someone asked last page about games you are looking forward too. There are a few on my list:

3/17 - Worms: A Space Oddity (Wii)

3/20 - Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword (DS)

4/01 - Myst (DS)

5/01 - Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

5/02 - Iron Man (360)

5/19 - Wii Fit (Wii)

6/03 - LEGO Indiana Jones (360)

6/03 - Ninja Gaiden II (360)

Q4 08 - LEGO Batman (360)

Wow, I honestly didn't realize how much I was looking forward to until this list. Better start saving :).

Finally, what can I say about Smash Bros.? AMAZING! Truly one of the best games that I've ever played. You know what I find funny? Games, in general, are so much better on the 360. If I'm going to buy LEGO Batman or Star Wars the Force Unleashed or Iron Man or anything like that, I'm buying it on the 360. Better graphics, Achievement, LIVE. However, some of the BEST games of this generation belong to that little while console. Honestly, I only own like 4 Wii games and they are ALL 1st party. I have no interest in buying 3rd party games because 99% are trash and when you play them on the Wii you see what it's been beatdown for being the lower class of this generation. BUT THEN, you put in Super Mario Galaxy or Twilight Pincess or, now, Super Smash Bros. and you start to believe that Nintendo could make a game for the Atari and it would be Amazing. And that is all that I can say about the game. I spend all day with it yesterday and haven't even scratched the surface. Heck, I haven't even started the single player campaign. This game is so completely polished in every way from the character design to the stages to the vast options to the flawless gameplay. What I love about the game is that it hasn't changed.......and it didn't need to. There are been a few upgrades (Final Smash, etc), but for the most part this is still Smash Bros. like we all remember. It's the little things they added that I love. My favorite so far? The little voices in the Wii mote when you select a character. Lame I know, but I love to hear the battle cry of my favorite character. I'm really looking forward to Sonic, but haven't gotten him yet. At this point I still love Link, but I am also liking Pit and Pokemon Trainer quite a bit. I have no love for Meta Knight. And I think Olimar may be good, but he's going to take some work. All in all, if you own a Wii and are breathing you owe it to yourself to own this game. Games like Super Smash Bros. only come along once in a while, and to miss out is like passing on tickets to see the Red Soxs win the World Series. It's truly that magical!

Now............only 7 more hours till I get to play again........... ;) neo

Ive been playing brawl since yesterday w/ a buncha friends and.....there are almost no words for just how AMAZING it is! I just wish i could aford a day off school/work so i could finish the story mode and unlock everything.

However, some of the BEST games of this generation belong to that little while console.

That has been the case with Nintendo going back, at least, to the N64 (though I think the NES and SNES were superior to the Sega Master System and Genesis, too, based on game selection alone), and because of that, barring a while when I just had a 360 and played my room-mate's Wii, I have always stuck with Nintendo over Sony, Microsoft, etc. You may not get as many games, the games may not be as fancy, but you always, always get a few extremely high quality, often console-exclusive games (and not always first party, though the Mario, Metroid, and Zelda games are always high points). Nintendo just knows how to make extremely fun games, period, and they have had a lot of luck with great third party games being released on their consoles.

However, some of the BEST games of this generation belong to that little while console.

That has been the case with Nintendo going back, at least, to the N64 (though I think the NES and SNES were superior to the Sega Master System and Genesis, too, based on game selection alone), and because of that, barring a while when I just had a 360 and played my room-mate's Wii, I have always stuck with Nintendo over Sony, Microsoft, etc. You may not get as many games, the games may not be as fancy, but you always, always get a few extremely high quality, often console-exclusive games (and not always first party, though the Mario, Metroid, and Zelda games are always high points). Nintendo just knows how to make extremely fun games, period, and they have had a lot of luck with great third party games being released on their consoles.

I'm going to upset the Nintendo lovefest... :D

I've not owned a Nintendo console since the 64, yes I loved Zelda (& GoldenEye) back in the day but isn't anyone else bored of them effectively making the same games over and over only sprucing up the graphics to whatever the current standard is?

Apart from the novelty controls of the Wii, Nintendo live in their little safe tower and rehash the same old stuff over and over, Mario Zelda and Metroid, seriously how about doing something new?

There I've said it... *waits for stoning*

T.

I've not owned a Nintendo console since the 64, yes I loved Zelda (& GoldenEye) back in the day but isn't anyone else bored of them effectively making the same games over and over only sprucing up the graphics to whatever the current standard is?

Apart from the novelty controls of the Wii, Nintendo live in their little safe tower and rehash the same old stuff over and over, Mario Zelda and Metroid, seriously how about doing something new?

T.

Pikmin is a new franchise for the Gamecube. It's also amazing!

Seriously, Olimar in Brawl is great. He's strong and fast!

Speaking of Sonic though, help me out an inch. My "problem" is unique. According to the spoiler filled Smash Wiki, Sonic is unlocked through these methods.

• Get him to join your team in SSE
  • Fight in 300 vs matches
  • Beat Classic mode with all (starter?) characters

Now, I've not yet

seen him in SSE

, I've not got that many

VS matches

, and I've not done the other one, and yet I already unlocked Sonic and I'm wondering how. Anyone know how?

EDIT: Also, TBT, have you played Galaxy? If all that is is a graphical update, then what's Call of Duty 4 to CoD1?

My wife and I spent about 4 hours playing Brawl last night. I absolutely love it. We were VERY happy to see that we could both play against people online while being on the same console. This is a problem with alot of online games, and at least Nintendo did that much right, even though the lack of chat is disappointing.

We also played co-op on the single player campaign, and that is a blast. I am starting to like some characters that I didn't care for in Melee, like DK and Kirby. Some subtle tweaks and a few new moves make them like whole new characters again. I can't wait to get home from work and load it up again.

*clears throat*

Now, Timbo, you're mine ;).

All kidding aside though, I would like to set up to the platform for Nintendo. I would like to say that I'm a Nintendo fan, by and by (if you need assurance, ask Nestle, lol). The first console I owned was the original NES. I owned both a SNES and Genesis. And I can still remember Christmas morning when I opened my, then impossible to find, N64. I was out of town when the GameCube launched, but woke up early from my hotel and walked half a mile to the nearest KMart and picked up my Cube. And, I spent 15 hours in line with my wonderful wife and then 6 month old baby to get my Wii on launch day. So, I am a fan.

Let me start by saying, Timbo is right.....partially. Nintendo is the house that Mario Built and when Mario 64 was released it took some guts to break the mold of platforming. That move, that game, is still something that many try to achieve years later.....and normally fall short. The N64 was released for 4 ports built in, something that consoles today don't even have. It was built upon multiplayer and Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, and Super Smash Bros. are all examples of the innovation of Multi-Player. Then, there's Metroid. Metroid started as a Cult hit and the became gaming History on the SNES. Having skipped the 64 generation, Nintendo had HUGE plans for one of their Flagships. Enter Metroid Prime. I don't think that anyone can argue that Metroid Prime was one of the risky moves that Nintendo has ever made. Turning a flawless 2D side scroller into a FPS made many a fans very worried. But, just like always, Nintendo pulled out a cleaver transition and made gaming history all over again by introducing the First Person Adventure to Consoles. Ah, what about The Legend of Zelda? Does anyone remember the first game? there was no map, little story progression, little anything but frustration. But it was love, and Nintendo in turn vowed to make it better and did just that in A Link to the Past for the SNES. ALttP is hailed by many (myself included) as one of the best adventure games OF ALL TIME. That's hard to duplicate, even for Nintendo, right? Yet just a few years later, Nintendo wasn't content with the same classic 2D top-down game and transformed The Legend of Zelda into just that, a Legend. Making the game fully 3D, go anywhere, do anything type of game that is truly to the day still remarkable to play. I started by saying that Timbo was partially right. What I believe is that Nintendo find something that works and then sticks with it. Until something better presents itself. I am a fan and I don't want to play a First Person Platform game starting Mario. And I don't want to play a Rail Shooter staring Samus. What I'm trying to say is things now are where they need to be. Sure, we've had 3 Metroid Prime games, but all have been Fantastic. If you include OoT, MM, WW, and now Twilight Princess the Zelda series has become familiar. And yes, Galaxy is just a glorified version of Mario 64......but they are still play amazing. When Nintendo has the next step of innovation they will change the game appropriatly and until then I don't want them butchering my favorite games just to make a few people happy. If the next 5 Zelda games play exactly like Twilight Princess with new story and graphics I'll be happy because it works and you know it's going to be quality every time.

I would like to note though, I didn't even include the DS in the conversation because I believe that it would blow so many holes into your theory that it would even be worth discussing. Zelda with Stylus only? FPS Metroid? Brain Games? Nintendo Dogs? Even third party like Ninja Gaiden's Book End Sylus Control. Nintendo has always been about innovation, the only difference is they wait until they can deliver quality before making the move. Something Sega and Sonic Team should learn from :).

I also didn't even add in any of the innovation by the Wii Remote. So I skipped Wii Sports, and Wii Fit, and the Wii Zapper and Mario Kart Wii with the Wii Wheel and all of the other innovations that Nintendo has introduced that work and work well!

Now, all of that was said in love :D. I agree that Nintendo does give us the same types of games and it could feel old to someone. But after hours with Smash Bros. last night, I for one can say that I don't mind a bit - so keep it up! neo

EDIT: Also, TBT, have you played Galaxy? If all that is is a graphical update, then what's Call of Duty 4 to CoD1?

Play Galaxy? no and I have no interest in doing so, I didn't really like M64.

As for the comparison yes it's very much the same... Galaxy is pretty much an updated M64, CoD4 is an updated FPS shooter. The difference is that there is more to the 360 lineup than the same half a dozen games remade for another gen.

Please feel free to list the top 10 games that are either released or expected for the Wii. How many of these are either 'remakes of old franchises' or multi-platform games on an inferior platform?

To make this fair I'll do the same for the 360 later in the day. (when I'm not supposed to be working.)

I'm not trying to cause trouble (For a refreshing change) I'm just curious why I'm the only one who finds nintendo's mario/zelda/metriod rinse & repeat dull.

*EDIT* Neo... Talk about living in the past with rose colored glasses, I need to digest your lengthy 'Nintendolovefest' but see a lot of flaws in that statement but need to check some stuff and will respond later ;) - once again all in the name of playing devils advocate, nothing personal! :)

T.

Speaking of Sonic though, help me out an inch. My "problem" is unique. According to the spoiler filled Smash Wiki, Sonic is unlocked through these methods.

For your "problem":

Beat Classic mode with 10 different characters.

I beat it on easy with the starting characters and I got Sonic.

Hope that helps!

I'm more of a casual gamer and other than a Sega Game Gear, I've only owned Nintendo consoles. I'm more than happy with them since other systems games just don't interest me much. It's just a personal preference and I love the old familiar Nintendo franchises.

Please feel free to list the top 10 games that are either released or expected for the Wii. How many of these are either 'remakes of old franchises' or multi-platform games on an inferior platform?

To be honest, I can't think of 10 games that I want for the Wii right now. In fact, I can't think of 5. But my most wanted are Wii Fit, Wii Music, and Mario Kart Wii. All three include innovations, and only the latter being an upgraded classic. At the end of the year though, there will be some suprises, but with it all said and done, I can't see any game this year being better than Smash Bros., remake or not!

*EDIT* Neo... Talk about living in the past with rose colored glasses, I need to digest your lengthy 'Nintendolovefest' but see a lot of flaws in that statement but need to check some stuff and will respond later ;) - once again all in the name of playing devils advocate, nothing personal! :)

T.

Listen, I am the first one to say my love for Nintendo has wavered over the last year. Me and Nestle got into this alot around the holidays. And Nintendo has went from my mainstream game, the filling the nitch if you will. I love my 360 and I understand your argument that there is so much more diversity and value overall that the 360 offers over the Wii. And, if you could keep record, I probably play my 360 3 times as much as my Wii. That being said though, Nintendo still knows how to make quality games. Like I said in my post, I'm ok with the same engine in a game if it is amazing. If Ocarina or Time would have sucked, I would be first in line holding a picket! But it didn't, it was amazing, as was Wind Waker and as was Twilight Princess. Will there have to be a change in the future? Yes, Nintendo can't keep making the same game for 25 years. But, at the same time, the old philosophy works well with Nintendo, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I personally cannot think of one thing I would do different in Super Mario Galaxy. In the short time with Smash Bros, I can only say the same thing. These games are what being a gamer is about. They are full of story and color and are easy to play but hard to master and they have flawless gameplay and most importantly they are FUN to play. In the end, isn't that why we start playing video games in the first place? neo

Neolego has pretty much summed up my argument for why I really do dig Nintendo, so I won't regurgitate all that he said, but let me add my own 2 cents. I understand TBT's argument. Nintendo's systems have, since the N64, been relatively shallow in terms of game availability, and their best games are, typically, first party games that are updates of existing series.

However, Nintendo simply knows how to produce games that are fun. Perhaps some of the most derivative games over the last few years were New Super Mario Brothers, Mario Kart, the Castlevania games, and Contra 4 for the DS. However, I have enjoyed those games more than the games that I have played for the 360. I like having the 360, the DS, and the Wii, because I can get the GTA and Bioshock along with the Mario and Zelda. In the final analysis, though, in terms of net "joy," no system has matched what I have received from the Nintendo systems over the years. And that's why, if I had to choose a Nintendo system or another brand's system in the future, I will go with Nintendo.

Listen, I am the first one to say my love for Nintendo has wavered over the last year. Me and Nestle got into this alot around the holidays. And Nintendo has went from my mainstream game, the filling the nitch if you will. I love my 360 and I understand your argument that there is so much more diversity and value overall that the 360 offers over the Wii. And, if you could keep record, I probably play my 360 3 times as much as my Wii. That being said though, Nintendo still knows how to make quality games. Like I said in my post, I'm ok with the same engine in a game if it is amazing. If Ocarina or Time would have sucked, I would be first in line holding a picket! But it didn't, it was amazing, as was Wind Waker and as was Twilight Princess. Will there have to be a change in the future? Yes, Nintendo can't keep making the same game for 25 years. But, at the same time, the old philosophy works well with Nintendo, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I personally cannot think of one thing I would do different in Super Mario Galaxy. In the short time with Smash Bros, I can only say the same thing. These games are what being a gamer is about. They are full of story and color and are easy to play but hard to master and they have flawless gameplay and most importantly they are FUN to play. In the end, isn't that why we start playing video games in the first place? neo

:biggrin: Works for me, and for the most part that's a very fair point of view. :biggrin:

The only point of contention is

" Yes, Nintendo can't keep making the same game for 25 years. "

Which is exactly what they have been doing, just with a shiny new coat of paint.

I guess It's probably just me and I don't just get Nintendo anymore...

T.

T.

Think about this: What franchise doesn't. I mean, video games have pretty much reached a standstill. (I too wait for stoning.) Everything that can be done pretty much has. Now all there is left to do is just update them graphically every few years. Look at Halo for example. What was it? It was your average ordinary everyday a;lien invasion game with multiplayer and people called it the best game ever made. So it did it again with Halo 2 and people called it the best ever. Halo three came out and people looked at it, everyone bought it, but it was ditched rather quickly because it was he same. So what you have to ask yourself is "what does nintendo do differently to keep games fresh?" Apparantly they're doing something because people bought Metroid 3, and Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess and the various pokemon games which still never change and some still play those. Halo 3 is pretty much done, but the Nintendo games remain popular even though Mario changed relitavely little from mario 64. nintendo just does what everyone else does. it's not just Nintendo, but there is one big difference: Nintendo does it right.

(Waiting for the gunshot.)

PS: Timbo, It is just you and you just don't get nintendo :D

Alright, I think we've all proven that Timbo is a wrong......but at the end of the day he still has a really cool accent and I'd give up my Wii for that :).

I think this just really comes down to a person's perspective on what they look for in a game. I'm more of a casual, E for Everyone kinda guy. I don't like extreme violence and drugs and sex. I won't own GTA or Saint's Row or even Ninja Gaiden is there isn't a "Not so bloody" mode. Those are just not my games. I play games for the purity of why they were created. They are exits in reality that are welcome to any player, easy to learn, hard to master. Mario is the best example of this type of game play. You can beat the game with just so many stars, but the hardcore gamer there are some stars that will make you pull your hair out. Zelda is the same way. Heck, even LEGO Star Wars borrows from this type of formula. They are accessable, but deep enough for a seasoned gamer to enjoy. To be honest, I actually get tired of all the grit and realism and down right depressing push that games have become. Nintendo knows what the heart of gaming is. And whether you are racing around a track, transforming into a wolf, or smashing up the competition, you cannot help but play their games with a smile on your face. And, at the end of my busy day, that is what I want to do!

So, we can all agree or disagree and it really doesn't matter. Video Games would not be where they are today without Nintendo, and if Timbo's vote was the popular vote Nintendo wouldn't make enough money to stay in business. Lucky for us though, T is in the minority and I think that most cames new/old, casual and hardcore, can enjoy something that Nintendo brings to the table, whether it be gameplay or familiarity or accessability or just the pure joy of gaming! neo

Gamer question:

What's up with all the UNLOCKING in games now? I pay $60 for a game and I can't use all the features until I do some impossibly mind-numbing feat like beating a game with different characters?

Aargh! I *hate* this aspect of games. It isn't fun to me or my play style.

I'm a newbie when it comes to console games and I have a PS3. Anyone know how I can easily "unlock" game features so I can play with everything? Can I download a code or something?

Gamer question:

What's up with all the UNLOCKING in games now? I pay $60 for a game and I can't use all the features until I do some impossibly mind-numbing feat like beating a game with different characters?

I'm a newbie when it comes to console games and I have a PS3. Anyone know how I can easily "unlock" game features so I can play with everything? Can I download a code or something?

Chech your averaage ordinary everyday cheat websites. If that fails, then just do what has to be done. What game vexes you so?

Think about this: What franchise doesn't. I mean, video games have pretty much reached a standstill. (I too wait for stoning.) Everything that can be done pretty much has. Now all there is left to do is just update them graphically every few years. Look at Halo for example. What was it? It was your average ordinary everyday a;lien invasion game with multiplayer and people called it the best game ever made. So it did it again with Halo 2 and people called it the best ever. Halo three came out and people looked at it, everyone bought it, but it was ditched rather quickly because it was he same. So what you have to ask yourself is "what does nintendo do differently to keep games fresh?" Apparantly they're doing something because people bought Metroid 3, and Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess and the various pokemon games which still never change and some still play those. Halo 3 is pretty much done, but the Nintendo games remain popular even though Mario changed relitavely little from mario 64. nintendo just does what everyone else does. it's not just Nintendo, but there is one big difference: Nintendo does it right.

(Waiting for the gunshot.)

PS: Timbo, It is just you and you just don't get nintendo :D

Good points and for the most part I agree.

Videogames are relatively stagnant in comparison with the evolution from when I was a kid where everything was new and exciting, it pretty much levelled out after the last big jump to the 3D generation (PS1/N64) with a rule of diminishing returns for processing and graphics.

I agree that yes we suffer from sequelitus (made up words are great!) from so many software houses...

But those are software houses not 'console manufacturers'. The problem with Nintendo in my eye's is that it's new platforms have exactly the same 4-5 games as the previous gen and a few other 3rd party offerings, To me that's why I stopped buying nintendo consoles they feel repetitive and overly stale. I know some of you love that but there is such a thing as 'too familiar'... to me it's like being asked to reading the same book over and over when I could go another route and read something different.

Other platforms (360/ps3) rely on a range of franchises and developers and there is always something new on offer, sure if they are successful we get sequels to those but we also get new area's of growth and new ideas to explore.

I can see a day in (not too far away) the future where Nintendo becomes a software house and drops it's hardware production. Sure it makes great games but should it demand it's own platform to play half a dozen games?

"Way back when" people used to refer to videogames as "playing nintendo" it moved to 'playing playstation' now it's more than likely 'playing Xbox'... surely that alone is a telling statement how Nintendo have fallen?

I'm not anti-Nintendo I just think that they've lost what made them special back inthe NES/SNES (and even N64) days...

T.

*edit* I just read Neo's post about wanting to play only cute games with no violence or realism... You are in a minority there mister, well you and parents of under 10's. I agree that I dont play a game that's violent for the sake of violence or gore on screen but it's part of what videogames are and to deny that anything that contains a little blood or realistic violence are less popular than the sugar coated fair Nintendo serve up is well just that denial. ;)

Gamer question:

Gamefaqs.com often has cheat codes and guides on how to unlock things easily. As to why there is so much of this, I think it is actually part of the draw for a lot of gamers, whether they consciously know it or not. People play games, in the most basic sense, because they are fun, right? But people also like having goals and challenges coinciding with the gameplay. Beating the game is a challenge, then beating the game for the best possible ending, or beating it on a harder level, or beating it with another character are other challenges, and these things keep people coming back, and give a game replay value. Having tasks to achieve in order to unlock extra characters, outfits, game modes, mini-games, etc. are other goals that keep people playing when they might otherwise stop.