UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I want Star War Minimates!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love a General Grevious Minimate. Have four arms like Salaak, a cape, two lightsabers as an accessory (one red, one green) and a shield that looks like Lightsabers are being twirled around (like when he spins several Lightsabers at once for a shield).

Darth Maul would be sweet. A cloak with a hood on it, and an extra head piece that slides over his head and changed his facial expression (like Batman Minimates) with those horns on his head. He'd come with a double saber that's red...

• 4 months later...

If I recall correctly, DST's Star Wars license really only applies to their stats. Blame it on the whole Lego/Hasbro monopoly (as in "singular iron grip on the market") on SW toys you can actually play with, I guess.

Wolverine, probably. He has a healing factor. Plus Darth Vader's old. (see: Return of the Jedi)

If they do make a Star Wars box set or pack or whatever, wolverine in his days as a jedi will probably be in it.

Just add a dark cloak to Wolverine, and change his claws to small sabers growing out of his fists. Perfect!

Well, SW does take place a long time ago, so a younger Wolverine could theoretically show up in a box set. "Yoda's first apprentice, James Howlett is the best there is at what Jedi do."

And who can forget when they discovered the frozen body of rebel Captain America on Hoth.

If they do make a Star Wars box set or pack or whatever, wolverine in his days as a jedi will probably be in it.

Just add a dark cloak to Wolverine, and change his claws to small sabers growing out of his fists. Perfect!

Gott in Himmel, that would be so freaking cool. Even if it is Wolverine, I'd get that one.

Wow... the ultimate crossover.

That among MANY others.......

The joke was that Indiana Jones has the same licensing restrictions as Star Wars, and when everyone initially heard that Lucasfilm was working with DST, that was the OTHER most requested product.

--MaNa

Gotta remember though that the Indiana Jones 3&3/4 toys did not do so well. Perhaps DST saw that coming...

The question is Would Indiana Jones minimates blow the market out of the water? Probably. But it depends on where DST focuses. Crystal Skull focus=No (though that does not mean that Crystal Skull should not be made. I want a Crystal Skeleton.). Raiders/Last Crusade focus=yes. Temple of Doom being first made=Meh. Doubt it. Though maybe to keep the line alive it would be bought. Or for the sake of a burning Mini-Heart.

I think that if DST plays it smart with plenty of accessories (Heart, Ark, Grail, Skull (and Skeleton with Throne), Sankara Stones, whip, fertility idol, giant boulder, monkey, swords, gun to kill that one guy in that fight scene, antidote, snakes (hell yeah), Short Round (yes just make him an accessory), Zepplin, rocket launcher, Fridge for nuking, Grail Diary, Staff headpiece, big damn ants and Maybe even a motorcycle)

The ultimate accessory list.

Now if any minimates, let's say they were based off of The Happening, but came with all of those accessories, would you get them?

But back to Indy, if they play it smart, set it off with a stellar Raiders set, then Indiana Jones would almost definately be a total success.

That among MANY others.......

The joke was that Indiana Jones has the same licensing restrictions as Star Wars, and when everyone initially heard that Lucasfilm was working with DST, that was the OTHER most requested product.

--MaNa

Gotta remember though that the Indiana Jones 3&3/4 toys did not do so well. Perhaps DST saw that coming...

The question is Would Indiana Jones minimates blow the market out of the water? Probably. But it depends on where DST focuses. Crystal Skull focus=No (though that does not mean that Crystal Skull should not be made. I want a Crystal Skeleton.). Raiders/Last Crusade focus=yes. Temple of Doom being first made=Meh. Doubt it. Though maybe to keep the line alive it would be bought. Or for the sake of a burning Mini-Heart.

I think that if DST plays it smart with plenty of accessories (Heart, Ark, Grail, Skull (and Skeleton with Throne), Sankara Stones, whip, fertility idol, giant boulder, monkey, swords, gun to kill that one guy in that fight scene, antidote, snakes (hell yeah), Short Round (yes just make him an accessory), Zepplin, rocket launcher, Fridge for nuking, Grail Diary, Staff headpiece, big damn ants and Maybe even a motorcycle)

The ultimate accessory list.

Now if any minimates, let's say they were based off of The Happening, but came with all of those accessories, would you get them?

But back to Indy, if they play it smart, set it off with a stellar Raiders set, then Indiana Jones would almost definately be a total success.

Is it a licensing issue? I'd imagine Hasbro's license is about up...

--MaNa

More than a bit off topic, but I think the 3 3/4" Indy figures failed because they sucked, not because of the license. Similar to the Marvel figures, the new GI Joes completely blow them out of the water.

More than a bit off topic, but I think the 3 3/4" Indy figures failed because they sucked, not because of the license. Similar to the Marvel figures, the new GI Joes completely blow them out of the water.

Yeah. They had crappy articulation, and even more crappy character selection. There were like 4 Indy's in every wave!

That wouldn't have been so bad if the Indys that were released didn't look like garbage. I was anticipating this line, and picked up Raiders Indy first time I saw him. I immediately regretted spending the $7 or whatever they initially costed at retail. Honestly, the old figures from the early 80s had better face sculpts (and nearly as much articulation) and were of a higher quality.

Maybe the other reason they didn't sell is that it's an old movie series that kids mainly aren't into. The new movie wasn't even that kid friendly. Seriously, how many kids were waiting in line to get a Rene Baloq figure? If you look at the big four movies released last year with figure tie-ins (Dark Knight, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Indiana Jones), three of them have already shown their marketability and have a constant comic presence. IJ just doesn't have that with kids. So if kids aren't that interested and the figures look like crap with QC issues, who's going to buy them? It'd been cool to see hasbro do some 6 inch scale stuff with Indy. I'd have loved to have seen that.

There is probably truth to that. Star Wars is mostly a line for old farts like myself, but they also have crazy aliens, guys with light-up swords, muppets, and cartoons that kids can watch. Indy only has the aliens part :P

The closes I think we will get to a "Star Wars" Minimate is the Octopus Character from the Spirit movie Minimates, as Samuel Jackson played that character as well as Jedi master mace Windu. Maybe someone can try to make a custom of Mace using the Octopus haed, a Superhero, Sam or Frodo "Cape". etc.

• 2 months later...

The problem with making Star Wars Minimates is that they would be way too sweet. It's right up there with getting 15 Waves of DC Minis.. It's just too right.. so it can't happen.

On the bright side I've heard good buzz on the possibility of a Thelma & Louise box set.

B)

I like Star Wars always have but I can't say that I'm bummed that they have not been made into minimates. I guess it's because I can't remember a time when store shelves were not clogged with Star Wars toys. I would rather have Minimates from other movies. I think DST's choices as far as movies go have been good.

The problem with making Star Wars Minimates is that they would be way too sweet. It's right up there with getting 15 Waves of DC Minis.. It's just too right.. so it can't happen.

On the bright side I've heard good buzz on the possibility of a Thelma & Louise box set.

B)

I think you're exactly right. Star Wars is the only license that could compete with Marvel for sales and longevity. It would probably make me go broke, but not nearly as fast as if I started buying Kubricks.

With Marvel and DC I can pick and chose which ones I want without having to get every wave. I'm not sure I could do that with Star Wars. I'd likely have to get every different variant of characters that appear in more than one movie like Obi-Wan, Luke, etc. All the Sith lords, Jedi, and even a few comic characters. So while I'd want minimate Star Wars my wallet is happy that it's safe.

• 4 weeks later...

I was watching ANH last night, and now I REALLY want Star Wars 'mates! Particularily, I want all the aliens from the cantina. There are so many classic aliens there, you could easily do two whole waves and a boxset just from that scene:

Ponda Boba/Dr. Evazan

Trint Duaba/Momaw Nadon

Muftak/Kabe

Labria/Nabrum Leids

Takeel/Hem Dazon

Pons Limbic/Bom Vindim

Lak Sivrak/Dice Ebegon

Feltipern Trevagg/M'iiyoom Onith

Greedo/Myo

Elis Helrot/Ellors Madak

Figrin D'an

Nalan Cheel

Tedn Dahai

Doikk Na'ts

Tech Mo'r

Thank God for Wookiepedia! :P

Ponda Boba/Dr. Evazan

Trint Duaba/Momaw Nadon

Muftak/Kabe

Labria/Nabrum Leids

Takeel/Hem Dazon

Pons Limbic/Bom Vindim

Lak Sivrak/Dice Ebegon

Feltipern Trevagg/M'iiyoom Onith

Greedo/Myo

Elis Helrot/Ellors Madak

Figrin D'an

Nalan Cheel

Tedn Dahai

Doikk Na'ts

Tech Mo'r

Thank God for Wookiepedia! :P

The sad thing is, I could have named these without Wookieepedia... when I was 8... :ohmy: