UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I want Star War Minimates!

There are so many oppurtunities with the star wars universe. We could have endless waves of star war minimates and it would be amazing! They should have done them by now. I would have thought they would have been one of the first things to become minimates.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many oppurtunities with the star wars universe. We could have endless waves of star war minimates and it would be amazing! They should have done them by now. I would have thought they would have been one of the first things to become minimates.

Hasbro.... Is your one word answer, they have Star Wars toy licenses totally sewn up and I doubt DST could even get a sniff at the license.

I don't think there's anyone out there that doesn't think Star Wars minimates would be totally awesome and even nameless people from DST have unofficially said that if they could 'magically' have any license for Minimates that Star wars would be top of the list.

It's a nice dream but aside from the odd custom here and there it's not going to happen.

T.

I would love these amd buy everyone. I really want a Han Solo minimate. If DST could get the licence that would be ace, but I assume that the licence for Star Wars would be really expensive or hard to get hold of or else they would have it I think. I'd love an army of MM Stormtroopers. That would be awesome!

Imagine if they had the SW license. It's like the ultimate geek convergance in a single line. I think that would make MiniMates pass up ole Mego as the ultimate crossover line.

A single display with Luke, Kirk, Iron Man, Batman, Starbuck, Jack Bauer, Mickey, Frodo, and Marty McFly! The very concept has blown my mind. Add in Buffy and John Sheridan, and I think that I'd jump off a cliff out of excitement.

Do you reckon that DST has ever asked Hasbro for a bit of the licence. I would be happy with them just having the original trilogy, or even just the 'A New Hope' licence. I'm a sucker for the original trilogy. Best films made in history!

Do you reckon that DST has ever asked Hasbro for a bit of the licence. I would be happy with them just having the original trilogy, or even just the 'A New Hope' licence. I'm a sucker for the original trilogy. Best films made in history!

I'm pretty certain they have mentioned it but get shot down.

You could always go to the ask DST thread and pose that question to DST themselves!

T.

If Hasbro can sub-license 12-inch action figures to Sideshow, they can sub-license the block figure category.

Better yet – since hard-to-find chase figures are a tool of the devil – maybe Hasbro could keep the license and simply offer Star Wars Minimates through AA the same way DC Direct does.

Hasbro does Q&A's on lots of collecting sites. Probably better off asking them directly if they have any interest in the category (seeing how well Kubricks have been doing) or if they'd be willing to give another manufacturer the chance.

If Hasbro can sub-license 12-inch action figures to Sideshow, they can sub-license the block figure category.

Better yet – since hard-to-find chase figures are a tool of the devil – maybe Hasbro could keep the license and simply offer Star Wars Minimates through AA the same way DC Direct does.

Hasbro does Q&A's on lots of collecting sites. Probably better off asking them directly if they have any interest in the category (seeing how well Kubricks have been doing) or if they'd be willing to give another manufacturer the chance.

My feeling on the matter is that it comes down to money. Lucas wants a piece, Hasbro wants a piece, everybody wants their piece. This business is fun, but it is still business, which means money, which means that if DST won't make enough money, then it isn't worth it. Sure, Star Wars will sell pretty well, but will it sell enough? And that question probably can't even be asked, because somebody at Hasbro is thinking up some way to make that money for themselves. The day that we see some sort of knock-block-figure from Hasbro is the day we know that Minimates have truly made it.

i liked star wars a lot as a kid. as i got older, for some reason, i liked it less and less.

there is far too much star wars stuff out there already and i for one would not buy minimate versions.

i know all the hate i am gonna get for this, but someone has to speak up for the dark side.

just give me more Battlestar Galactica

i liked star wars a lot as a kid. as i got older, for some reason, i liked it less and less.

there is far too much star wars stuff out there already and i for one would not buy minimate versions.

i know all the hate i am gonna get for this, but someone has to speak up for the dark side.

just give me more Battlestar Galactica

Hey - I'm with you.

1. I'm getting a little tired of Star Wars and certainly don't see the need for another product line to collect that competes with Galactic Heroes and the 3 3/4" figures. Who would want DST taking away design and production capacity to market 50 million clone trooper variants (red, green, orange, plaid etc) when there's so much left to do in the BSG, Star Trek & BTTF lines(which are all under appreciated in the merchandising department compared to SW).

2. MORE BSG - I figure we can squeeze at least 2 more good waves of characters before the series ends including Cally, Gaeta, Roslin, Zarek, Cottle, Racetrack, Hotdog, Kat, Cavil, Leobon, Aaron Doral, Simon, Torrie, Anders (gotta have all the Cylons represented) and I also wouldn't mind seeing a couple of colonial marines (male & female).

If I had to throw an idea out there (though I know Hasbro & lego have already snatched it up) I'd throw Indiana Jones out there. That would be really cool to have some Indy minimates.

does any company make starwars statues? that would be the easiest way for them to get the liscence?

Gentle Giant makes Star Wars statues, so that's all sealed up.

And Hasbro also has the rights to the Indiana Jones action figures. (A few of them were shown at SDCC.) They're also doing Galactic Heroes styled figures, plus LEGO has the Indy license for construction. So I wouldn't hold my breath for Indy MiniMates.

does any company make starwars statues? that would be the easiest way for them to get the liscence?

Gentle Giant makes Star Wars statues, so that's all sealed up.

And Hasbro also has the rights to the Indiana Jones action figures. (A few of them were shown at SDCC.) They're also doing Galactic Heroes styled figures, plus LEGO has the Indy license for construction. So I wouldn't hold my breath for Indy MiniMates.

i totally forgot about gentle giant, that was the only loop hole i could think of...

i can understand that dst cant obtain every liscence ever, and im kinda glad, id really rather have more marvels and dcs and bsgs than a bunch of one boxed sets for a bunch of movies

• 1 year later...

Do you have the Kubricks? If not, you might want to give them a chance, since this might be the best available alternative that we get. I picked them up as Minimates versions weren't available, and now they are a major part of my toy collection. The Darth Vader is particularly nice.

Just keep in mind that they are not cheap. . .