UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Minimates series 8 revealed!

hypno

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! Another great wave.

I have to disagree with those who feel these are random pairings. I frankly don't care which GL's get paired together- you know we're going to get a Kyle figure even if it didn't come with Sinestro. I'd be willing to be that we have one by the end of 2008 even. The fact that GL fans will have a Salak and a Kilowog mate? That's too cool.

Again, the variety here is excellent. There is a little something for everyone. I'm even somewhat excited about the Red Son 'mates.

I completely understand some people's disapointment that they haven't gotten their one favorite yet, but the upside of the line is that we know virtually any character in the DCU is possible. I'd like the line to last a long time and provide a huge amount of folks from the DCU. The last few waves indicate this is happening.

These look really nice for early prototypes. I can't wait to see more of the Question.

I'm almost beginning to think that Watchmen 'mates are possible.

dr manhatten wave 9? Buying them all aside, sinestro is the only one I want. I love the question as vic, but having this version right now means its going to be a long friggin time before we get a vic, if we get a vic. I didnt even know there was a batwoman or a female question. So yeah, marvel fans, go read the dc encyclopedia for my onfo. Awesome book.

this wave and the last more than anything should get a good look by marvel, b/c marvel, is currently getting whomped.

I'm almost beginning to think that Watchmen 'mates are possible.

If they are, I'll be the happiest man alive.

Anyway, for those of you who don't like Salak, how would you have done him? And no saying that you wouldn't have done him at all, as what good is a DC universe if it has to exclude certain people?

Anyway, for those of you who don't like Salak, how would you have done him? And no saying that you wouldn't have done him at all, as what good is a DC universe if it has to exclude certain people?

I wouldn't have made him unless I could make him as a purer minimate. One of the points of minimates is that they are simplistic in design that blockiness is part of the charm, Salaak is almost more like a 2" action figure than a block figure.

I actually think this is a kinda of seperate debate that's derailing this thread and maybe when I get time I'll start a new thread and we can discuss what defines a minimate and how far we should stray from that.

T.

p.s. if every character in the DCU is supposed to be plausable how about Mogo or maybe MODOK for Marvel, how far do you push the boundries before it becomes some thing different?

I love these mates, it's not my fav. line but I still love them. As a DC fan, even though i do love marvel, it prides me to see all these characters I love come out in mate form. That being said, I absolutely love that they made a Batwoman minimates. I love her. The question is cool. I'm always up for more Green Lanterns and Sinestro is awesome. The red son mates are cool too but I would of prefered brand new characters like...oh i don't know...THE ATOM!!!!!!

THOSE LOOK SO FREAKIN' AWESOME!!! :woot:

I SO CANNOT WAIT FOR THOSE.

JUST GOTTA HAVE THEM!!

LOVE ALL 4 SETS :biggrin:

rad! more lanterns!!... the green lanterns are my favourite part of DC..... the more lanterns the better, i could care less who they are.... we'll obviously get a rayner eventually, good thing im a patient collector.... B) ive got all my lanterns hanging over my minimate collection using fish line around their waist/necks (the GLs protect my mates from harm lol)... so the more lanterns that come out the cooler itll look having them all flying above with hal at the front :D id really like them to do a Natu mate for 2 reasons.... a)shes my favourite B-lister lantern and B) we'd finally have a girl lantern mate.....!

i wonder if theyll do any sinistro-corps mates.... i really prefer sinistro in his yellow corps costume... a boy can dream, hes still cool tho!

so weird... i read red son for the first time the day before these were announced... the story was great and the mates look great.. cant wait for them!

dont really care much for the other 4.... ill still get em of course.... completism (if thats a word*shrug*) its my gift, its my curse.... but im preaching to the choir here arent i?

here are some pics of natu for anyone who doesnt know who she is

post-1026-1186857932_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1186857949_thumb.jpg

Have to say I'm really happy with the way the DC line is coming along. Nice mates and as always it seems DCD blindsides us all with its picks.

Looking at this wave a quick thought came to mind this is a good selection for collectors and passing buyers, just bear with me and I'll try to explain. People who use this board know the difference between all the different characters and costumes and stuff like that but a passing parent may not and just see a Superman/Wonder Woman pack or a Bat character and because their child like Batman pick them up in passing, which can only be good thing as they may come back and buy more.

I like this wave as it touches on maybe the 3 main characters in the DC universe Bats/Supes/Wonderwoman and gives us something that is a little different for all.

The issue on Salakk is a mixed bag. I agree minimates should always have the cylinder head block and with this figure I'm not sure it would look right because he's an alien and cosmetically the long narrow head is part of what makes him. Maybe they should make some new head design that can fit those awkward non-human characters. After seeing the Leader, Kilowog, Sinestro, STRIP,they have a track record for making new head block designs for characters that are outside the norm; Salakk just takes it to an extreme that we'll have to live with. I prefer newly shaped heads v.s. kubrick style chest pieces.

TT minis: Meh. Never liked their classic costumes anyways, but I don't hate these.

GL and Sinestro: Awesome. More GLs are always fun. Just where's Jade and Kyle? Also, is that the Leasder's head? I sure hope so. :D

Red Son: YES! Stop complaining yall, Ruskies are always fun!

Batwoman/Question: I like these two. And I'm voting that that's Montoya.

WHY dc WHYYYYYY

why would they start ney teams like red son if they already have other teams to finish,i like the greenlanterns,like the teen titans,i like the red son,but i do not like the question,or batwoman,i really dont know why they started new teams

The Wizard Universe pics are much nicer than the ones we've seen so far. For those of you who do not like the looks of these mates, understand that these are early prototypes and that they probably will differ somewhat when they are finally released (ie: Kilowog, Jim Lee Batman, Battle damaged BM). Is it me or does the Salaak lower half look oddly smaller than Sinestro's? Could this be a new body type that won't make Salaak tower over everyone else? Your thoughts please?

P.S: If they are using Nightcrawler's feet for Salaak, do you think they'll have holes tooled into the bottom of them this time around or no?

And for those of you wondering why DCD doesn't finish up one team assortment before starting another, remember this... The DC Direct team is trying to appeal to all the fans of the DCU. Each wave has a diverse selection of characters from different titles and timelines. Some popular and some obscure. You may be a big GL Corps fan but somebody else might not. They might be a huge Teen Titans fan or JSA fan or JLA fan. I think DCD is doing a phenominal job picking and choosing who they are doing in MM form. I for one may not be the biggest (Montoya) Question fan, but at least she's lucky enough to be getting the MM treatment. How many lesser know Marvel characters have gotten to be a minimate? I'll gladly pick her up and add her to my collection just because she's a small part of a bigger picture. Wouldn't you like to own a minimate of just about every character in the DCU one day? I sure would.

I saw these last night, in the dark, as I was leaving WWC...

They look great, except in person, the hat on the Question is bigger than it looks in the pictures... Almost really too big.... Really, really too big...

Other than that, I'm pretty excited about these. I'd take or leave the Red Sun figures, as I'm more a "Core-Universe" kinda guy, but they look alright... Better than the new Marvel Minibriks...