UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Minimates series 8 revealed!

hypno

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And let the rush of Man-Spider and Doppleganger customs commence!

To me, this wave isn't as thrilling as previous waves. I mean the Batwoman and Sinestro are all great, but I don't really care for the Raven or Cyborg ones. They're alright, but just not as good as others.

The Red Sun ones are neat, but I have no knowledge of that story other than "hey, lets have a bunch of heroes as Ruskies!"

Question is good too, but the brown hat and blue coat look a little odd in actual toy form. Does he have boobies? So it's actually Rene then? That makes the figure more interesting, especially the pairing :D

Thanks for the link.

I'm really curious on how they're doing Salakk. New torso or auxiliary piece that plugs in on top?

Something about the mask on Cyborg (I think?) is a little off-putting. Always good to see new Minimates though.

Wow I'm really starting to get disapointed with DC mates. Which sucks. I'm so excited by the fact that we have the two big comic publishers making a toy from the same company. Yet Bane towers over the Hulk, heck even Killer Croc shadows over Hulk. Now with this next wave and a character like Salak (SP?) we cross over to another world. With the last waves Grodd and Clayface they were starting to get away from the block bodies, now I really don't see the simple block figures I love. Sadly I'm so hooked I'll still get them, but at least with the Question I'll have a good fedora for my custom Spirit minimate.

At least DC gave Marvel a shot in the arm and now we are seeing different characters like Scarlet Spider, Angel, and Hawkeye.

bummer to hear about Elseworlds, still on the fence with them, but would rather have regular characters first. Then again we do have Zombies and Ultimates...

Wowwee wow wow wow wow.

My thoughts:

- Definitly the Montoya version of the Question - the hair looks like hers, and it would make more sense to pack her with Batwoman.

- Salakk looks like there's a regular torso, with a half-torso with shoulder pegs bulit into his jacket. And that has to be the most detailed Minimate head ever made.

- New Teen Titans Minimates are always a good thing. Bring on disco-costume Nightwing.

- Red Son Minimates mean that the Elseworld characters can be potential Minimates. As if they didn't have enough characters to choose from already.

These are great looking mates, just love how the DC line keeps bringing innovative parts. I love the fact we're getting all the GLs, bring on Kyle Rayner. I really like the Red son Superman/WW and Salakk, Question and Batwoman, heck I like them all with Cyborg as my least favorite.

Urgh.... this is what worried me...

To many seemingly random pairings and that some are getting less and less like minimates that Salakk is way too sculpted.

I'll prob buy these as a completest but I doubt I'll get much joy from them.

T.

While I agree Salakk is too tall

the others rock the efing house,

Sinestro...hell yea

Raven and Cyborg...throw in a Robin (or night wing) and Starfire and we are rocking some serious teen titans

Batwoman and Question....nice rouge

and Red Son Superman and Wonderwoman....SUPER NICE

I am continuing to LOVE THIS DAMN LINE!!!!!!

Nice line-up. Alot of well-utilized rehashed parts to counter-balance the completely new ones. Honestly though, you gotta' expect the "less pure" more sculpted parts to come into play...some characters just don't translate into 'mate-form without them. While I understand a few of your concerns, I don't really see them a such a colossal departure; they still retain their Minimate aesthetics (in fact, I still wish that they had sculpted a "mini-deformed" mask for Star Trek's Gorn, which could have then be re-used for a Marvel Lizard; the flat, cylindrical-head just doesn't convey the characters well-enough IMHO). My personal take:

Sinestro/ Kalaak: Awesome! Sinestro is over-due and looks perfect. Kalaak is a nice surprise and while I think the new sculpted-parts have limited re-use potential, definitely serve the character well (or as well as one could expect in this format). Nice use of Nightcrawler's parts.

Bat Woman/ Question: Cool. Though I'd personally have preferred a "classic" Question with Huntress, these look good for who they represent. Although something about the Question seems..."off". Is that Rocky's hair/hat-piece? I think a full-mask with sculpted hat/hair would have been more convincing.

Cyborg/ Raven: Look great, exactly how I would imagine them. The Titans are coming-around nicely!

Red Son Superman/ Wonder Woman: While I personally don't care for these, they look correct and are still better than C3 variants. This opens the door for future "Else-World" characters (hopefully Vertigo someday!) and I could see WW's skirt being re-used as a "first-appearance" mate (Wonder Woman, Cat Woman, etc.).

All-in-all, not a completely exciting wave (for me personally), but a solid one none-the-less. I'll be purchasing these come June(ish)!

I am really and truely devastated! Never in a million years did I think that a Salaak minimate would ever be created. That being thought, I took it upon myself to create a Salaak custom. I have been working on it for months (taking a pause whilst I moved in with my girlfriend) and now seeing DC wave 8, I have totally lost the urge to finish him :( . The same thing occured last year when I tried to make a second (2.5") Kilowog. Glad to see more DC minimates, but the timing sucks. Ah well... never underestimate the folks over at DCD.

P.S: Grumble all you will about minimates becoming more detailed and sculpted, but really... Salaak could never have been pulled off via conventional minimate parts. He's a freakin' alien bug for cryin' out loud! Sculpted part were the only way to go with this guy. Minimates are evolving and nothing can stop it. Enjoy the ride.

Here are some more pics of DC minimates wave 8.

Wow. That Salakk is amazing. I'm not a fan of the GL stuff but that is an amazingly executed Minimate. And we've got Barbara Gordan and Cassandra Cain from the C3 line - who is this Batgirl? I checked Wikipedia but I couldn't find the same costume. Is it from the One Year Later storyline?

Are any other Marvel fans starting to feel overwhelmed? I'm going to need to start reading some more DC stuff or I'll have no idea who these little buggers are!

I agree with JL BRING ON THE RAYNER I also love the Red Son Mates .... aahhh bring on the wet dreams of mother russia... sharing too much? maybe... I also agree that it is cool/not cool that they are breaking away from the typical mate format cool because you get to see some characters you never thought you would and not cool because we love them because they were so simple and yet so recognizable. They relied on paint to give the character its persona, with the exception of only a few characters, whats next a new powergirl with an extra chest piece, wait why is that bad I think I just lost the arguement against myself...I better just post this before I do some real damage...thanks for the pics link

What an odd bunch of choices for this wave.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm really excited about it.

Cyborg, Sinestro, and the Red Son Supes and WW look especially great.

I'm on the fence with the Salak. It's really neat that they've made a figure of him, but it does begin to straddle that line of when is a minimate no longer a minimate.

Anyway, can't wait.

I am really and truely devastated! Never in a million years did I think that a Salaak minimate would ever be created. That being thought, I took it upon myself to create a Salaak custom. I have been working on it for months (taking a pause whilst I moved in with my girlfriend) and now seeing DC wave 8, I have totally lost the urge to finish him :( . The same thing occured last year when I tried to make a second (2.5") Kilowog. Glad to see more DC minimates, but the timing sucks. Ah well... never underestimate the folks over at DCD.

P.S: Grumble all you will about minimates becoming more detailed and sculpted, but really... Salaak could never have been pulled off via conventional minimate parts. He's a freakin' alien bug for cryin' out loud! Sculpted part were the only way to go with this guy. Minimates are evolving and nothing can stop it. Enjoy the ride.

Here are some more pics of DC minimates wave 8.

I know how you feel, I wouldn't have seen this guy coming either! That's why, anymore, I try to only focus on customs that have very little chance of being produced (be-it subject matter or licensing issues). However, with this particular line, sheeesh; they've proven anything is possible and that IMO is a good thing. I just scrapped all my DC ideas but still look to them for good parts for Marvel customs, etc! Son of Satan, for example. I think I can safely say that he will never be produced (in any line). Then again, feel free to prove me wrong DST!LOL

P.S.S.: I totally agree with your "P.S." statement. I don't follow the line, but I wonder if LEGO fans whimpered as much with the introduction of droids and such. Did the inclusion of sculpted Droids and Wookies make "LEGO-men" any less LEGO...I think not.

I like all of these, but to me this is the most dissapointing wave of DC. Kyle Rayner should've been packed with Sinestro(due to their recent "exploits") instead of Salaak. Speaking of which, I like the new torso, but the head doesn't seem anywhere near Minimatish.

If I weren't a completionist(when it comes to comic-Mates, which reminds me, if anyone has a spare Robin/Penguin and the Blue Beetle/Booster Gold sets from Wave 2, drop me a line) I would definately skip the Raven/Cyborg and the Batwoman/Question packs. To me, Raven and Cyborg were always the most boring Titans, and I absolutley hate the Question as a charactor. But, I will get them nontheless.

The only pack that I actually have the urge to get is the Red Son pack. The Red Son story is one of my favorite stories to come out of DC, closely trailing Knightfall and Hush.

- Definitly the Montoya version of the Question - the hair looks like hers, and it would make more sense to pack her with Batwoman.

I'm fairly sure It's the Classic Question, with a re-used rocky hat. Montoya's Outfit is quite different (see below)

countdown40_07.jpg

Wow. That Salakk is amazing. I'm not a fan of the GL stuff but that is an amazingly executed Minimate. And we've got Barbara Gordan and Cassandra Cain from the C3 line - who is this Batgirl? I checked Wikipedia but I couldn't find the same costume. Is it from the One Year Later storyline?

Fujis, it's not a Batgirl, it's the new Batwoman. Her alter ego is named Kathy Kane (I believe the same name as the original Batwoman) Her character was introduced in 52, there was a big media blitz about her at the time as she's quite openly from Lesbania. Apparently a former lover of Rene Montoya, their stories are still intertwined.

Another quality selection from DCD. Good to see new Titans.

My thoughts after seeing the photos...

Cyborg / Raven

I love the classic Teen Titans and to get the most iconic two in one pack is great. Raven looks better than I could have hoped, she is spot on. My only quibble is that it doesn't look like she can be unmasked.

Cyborg looks a little rough in the mask and face area but I'm sure they'll get it worked out, it will be a year before these get released after all. I'm looking foward to seeing his blaster arm attachment. One of the cool things about Minimates is how easily hands can be swapped and it's suprising that more mini figures don't come with alternate hands.

Sinestro / GL Salaak (4 arms!)

Sinestro on his own is great but to get him with a work of art like Salaak is amazing! I'm really really looking forward to Salaak and I really wouldn't consider myself a GL fan. There is so much coolness to him that I can't stop looking...4 arms! Amazing head sculpt! He is quite possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen.

The coolest thing about Salaak and their are many to choose from is that it looks like his upper chest/sholders is slightly wider than his lower chest which gives his arms a staggered look and looks to allow all of his arms to hang down neatly and rest by his sides.

I didn't really care for Grodd or Clayface in the last wave mostly because the molded parts looked tacked on to the blocky Minimate body. Salaak on the other hand looks sleak with all of his parts well intergrated to his body. This figure makes me very excited for the future of Minimates, it's a bold and smooth step foward. Very inventive.

Red Son Superman / Red Son Wonder Woman

There are classic figures I'd rather get before Elseworld versions but these two aren't all bad. I do hope, however, that they repaint the faces of these two as Superman really don't look like the stressed, older, slightly evil version in the comic and Wonder Woman really doesn't look meek enough. Right now they look like straight repaints of previous figures we've gotten. They have potential but aren't quite there yet.

Modern Batwoman / The Question

Batwoman too feels like a Elseworld design as she is a pretty big departure of a older forgotten character, a Ross design that I could see fitting more into the Justice books, and a character who we most likely won't see all that much in the main comics. Figure wise I kind of like the design especially the gray details on black. While I wasn't crying out for a figure of her I'll look foward to adding her to the collection.

The Question to me seems badly put together. I usually don't swap parts but I'm going to have to find a dark blue trench coat and a dress shirt with a tie for him to wear. The face seems to be an unpainted minimate head rather than a mask and the hair and the clothes just look really shabby. He looks more like a hobo than the Question, and is probably my least favorite DCD Minimate.

All in all with the exception of the Question this is a great wave and a step up from the lackluster wave 7(for me at least)

Interesting wave, Im pretty sure thats the Montoya Question though aside from that one bodged issue of countdown thats spot on for her costume, and well ya'know Vics dead and Montoya/Batwoman always seem to appear together so what sense would it make if it was Vic?

Loving the Sinestro and Salaak doesnt look as bad as I thought he might

Interesting wave, Im pretty sure thats the Montoya Question though aside from that one bodged issue of countdown thats spot on for her costume, and well ya'know Vics dead and Montoya/Batwoman always seem to appear together so what sense would it make if it was Vic?

Also in the TNI pic, though the Question is behind another figure, it looks like the Question is wearing a t-shirt with a shaddow outlining boobs! :o :blush: This version also is missing the dress shirt and tie that the classic version always wore.

Are any other Marvel fans starting to feel overwhelmed? I'm going to need to start reading some more DC stuff or I'll have no idea who these little buggers are!

Here ya go Fujis: A little tidbit on Batwoman.

Cool line up. Cyborg and Raven look super sweet. I hope Cyborg gets some kind of cannon arm. Sinestro is rad. That's really all that can be said about that. Wait- it's about time. Rad and it's about time. Batwoman/Question 2-pack is cool. I can't wait to see better pics to figure out which question that is. (With so few details, I won't even guess at this point) Salakk looks cool. I just really hope his head doesn't have too much texture. As for the Red Son set- meh. I'll get it, but I think it's just a little too soon for elseworlds sets. There are just so many more characters I'd rather see fleshing out the main DCU.