UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

More minimates...

arnim zola

I hate that I am a bigger marvel fan than dc fan, and when I look back at my marvel minimates, the character selection is not consistently good, the paint apps and detail are not always there, and the part reuse is so high, whereas dc minimates are constantly getting better. Clayface and grodd have about 5 new parts each, thats 2 out of 8 characters, and the detail is better.

I love the upcoming marvel waves, but 3 waves are movie tie ins, and the only movie fig to fit in with my comic mini's is the all sand version of sandman. the comic waves are coming and a defenders box, and the taskmaster set and the zombies and the detail is greatly improving on the marvel mates, even though there is still some reuse, especially on female hair, a problem dc doesnt have. So yes, it does seem marvel has noticed the competitor's mates and is trying to catch up.

But Im a marvel fan first. And we all went through the drought where the first 2 waves in a long time were all heroes, but still, we could be getting more. I would be more than willing to give up a variant each wave for more characters.They do multiples of all kinds of people all the time with little difference, and to me, those are the same as variants. Look how many superman and batman and spidey variants there are. Those people complaining about angel could get a whole new angel in another wave. Iron man costumes and others could be spread out to cover their butts with popluar characters, just like spidey and wolverine. DC gets 8 characters per set, so I go home and expand the dc universe by 8 every time. Marvel, I expand by 6, b/c until recently, I havnt seen one variant worth buying. the angel is the only one, but thats just for the head and hair, Im not a fan of that suit at all.

So, would you guys be willing to give up your variants for more marvel? What else would you be willing to do? I know DST doesnt always listen to fan polls, or else Id be playing with the sinister six at work, but I would love 8 marvel characters per wave, because I know a lot more about marvel and we are lacking on complete teams of anything and villains. Im new to DC, and its gotten to the point where I want to know more about a character just because of a minimate. So what would you do?

Wow, I haven't seen that custom in a while. Hey Arnim Zola, that's MY Arnim Zola custom you are using as an avatar. Are you the current owner of him? I thought I sold it to a guy in Spain. Are you him?

I don't think its strictly a matter of DST not listening to fan polls, etc. If I'm not mistaken, isn't the 6 and 1 part of the dreaded license? Yes, the lack of villains can be staggering, and the excess of Spider-Man and Wolverine is far from unnoticeable, but the Marvel line is improving as a result of DC's return to minimates. The three newest waves feature Hawkeye, She-Hulk, Thor, Angel, Apocalypse, Abomination, Mysterio, Vision, and so many other fan favorites and much demanded characters. You're demanding change that seems to already be in the works. I say wait a couple more waves before calling for more minimates, as you may be getting what you want to begin with.

New guy input here. I've historically been more of a Marvel guy, but the tide is changing somewhat. I'm just now getting into minimates and already have more DC than Marvel. I am an Avengers guy and am glad to see the next couple of waves featuring them. BUT, until Marvel works out the kinks of their infamous "license" and gets to use larger bodies for larger characters, DC will continue to kick their asses. Bane, Croc, Ares are already picking on my Thing and Gray Hulk :angry:

Can they not re-evaluate that portion of the license since their competition is using a new "gimick" and begin doing the same? So far, that is the main downside to me getting into minimates. I'd love to do a Marvel/DC display but it would look rediculous. Stupid midget Hulk, Thing, Juggernaut, and Abomination :blink:

The only two things that I think they should negotiate really, in my opinion, is the use of Vehicles (Ghost Rider's bike, Prof X. advanced wheel chair, etc..) and LARGE minimates. I'm not talking about those ridiculous statue 'maximates'... but maybe figures that are roughly three times as big (6 inches tall?) fully articulated like any other minimate. I want these to be distributed like the oversived figures that come with the Marvel legends line... where you'll get arms with one 2-pack, legs with another, head with another, etc... and then you can snap them all into place to make a larger sized minimate. My personal choices for this? Classic Giant-Man, a Sentinel, and... as silly as it sounds... a Devil Dinosaur :)

The main reason I think this would be a very cool idea for Marvel Minimates to do is because it's something that DC HASN'T done yet, it's unique.

Also, it's something DC can't really do, as there was a topic on that board about oversized figures, and aside from one or two there weren't very many options, and the two I saw the most were the Monitor and Giganta, who are not nearly as big namewise as Sentinels and Giant Man.

Also I do think that the success of the DC line has made the Marvel guys rethink their approach, but it's also kind of annoying that it took someone else doing an impeccable job to make the Marvel guys realize that people want more diverse character selection and more villains, which is something that has been said by people on boards for YEARS. Better late than never, but one thing that still needs reworking is their release schedule. Constant delays are annoying, especially when the DC waves put out high quality product every two months practically like clockwork. At that rate they'll catch up to the number of Marvel waves in about two years.

Firstly MINI_MYTE, I love arnim zola. ANd no I didnt end up with him, But I would totally pay you for one. Zola is a bizarre character that I dont ever imagine them making. But yeah, Id love my own of your design. Props to you. I made a war machine and I hate it, Im better in the 6 inch scale with customs.

I had no idea that the 6 figs one variant might be in place because of the contract they have...I hope you are right and they do go towards getting rid of a variant, but if it is part of the license, then I'm not going to complain anymore about it. I think after more success from dc mates, the people in charge of contracts with marvel will have a little more info to back up any requests on changing the license. Im hoping that marvel competitive spirit will come out. Im my opinion, the mates are the best marvel mates out right now, as the hasbro legends have seriously dipped in quality.

Devil dinosaur would be cool. A real zola, red skull, or jigsaw too, and I would die for a modok.

I don't think its strictly a matter of DST not listening to fan polls, etc. If I'm not mistaken, isn't the 6 and 1 part of the dreaded license? Yes, the lack of villains can be staggering, and the excess of Spider-Man and Wolverine is far from unnoticeable, but the Marvel line is improving as a result of DC's return to minimates. The three newest waves feature Hawkeye, She-Hulk, Thor, Angel, Apocalypse, Abomination, Mysterio, Vision, and so many other fan favorites and much demanded characters. You're demanding change that seems to already be in the works. I say wait a couple more waves before calling for more minimates, as you may be getting what you want to begin with.

Oh yeah, Marvel has upped their game considerably. The only thing I have is that I want to know if this is a special sort of thing or the new Marvel standard.

I agree with everything that everyone has said here.

In terms of giving up the variant, I have a standing order for a complete set w/ variant at my LCS, so I get 4 packs anyway. I would be much happier with eight different characters rather than getting two copies of a character that wasn't that great to begin with (astonishing colossus, I am looking at you <_< ). I like the idea of a variant, but I open all my mates, so the variant is just there to look different. I am still not sure what to do with my DOFP Wolvie...

I could go either way on the large scale mates. Sure it would be cool to have a scaled Hulk or a scaled Juggernaught, but DC's Bane and Killer Croc are lacking in the bulkiness, IMO. Bane especially is to trim in the chest and shoulders. At least with the Marvel's more powerful characters we are getting "powerhouse" versions with big chests.

I think that the next waves look so much better than the last waves. :thumbsup: I am hoping that this is a sing of things to come. I was impressed at how many fan favorites are coming in the beggining of 2008. Lets just keep those release dates! :ermm: Please :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

I am a much bigger marvel fan than dc, but think the DC ones are better atm. I had lost faith in Marvel minimates, but after seeing the Avengers wave, Defenders and 2 newest wave my faith has been restored. Finally a big chested Hulk, and 3 Brand new characters, each with at least 2 new parts. And I love the Apocolypse, Hawkeye and Angel Minimates. There are still alot of characters that I want, but I can't complain at the moment with so much to look forward to.