UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

90's Animated/Classic X-Men?

hyejinx1984

Anyone know if there's any chance for an X-Men wave with the 90's versions of the characters? Like a lot of people my age, my first real introduction to X-Men was from the Fox Kids animated show, and those costumes are what I became familiar with. It would be a pretty nice set considering we'd get a lot of mates that we don't have yet:

X-Men Animated Intro

Cyclops - We don't have a classic costume open hair Cyclops yet with the utility pack across his chest, so this would be new

Wolverine - OK, so we have yellow Wolverine, but they could tweak it a little and rerelease :P

Rogue - We also recently got this costume, but it didn't come with the brown jacket, and for me the costume never really worked without that piece.

Storm - Storm's white outfit to me is the definitive Storm, I'd kill for this mate!

Beast - It's about time we get classic Beast, nuff said.

Gambit - Likewise, we don't have a Gambit yet!

Jubilee - Nor do we have a Jubilee.

Jean Grey - Even though this costume never made any damn sense to me, I always loved it! :D

Professor X - Since we got that wheel chair way back with that Magneto 2-pack, couldn't they have another prof. x with the classic yellow 'cybernetic' wheel chair?

Aaaaaanyway, you think this could happen or is it too soon considering we've already gotten a lot of X-Men toys recently?

That's definitely something that a lot of fans are wanting... and speaking personally, that would probably be my favorite wave if they released it the way you are suggesting

but... I think it may be somewhat unlikely for us to be getting a wave like that now. It was more likely before the new DC waves hit the market and responses made it clear that Marvel's releases needed a rethink... Diverse selections seem to be the new order of the day, which means that a full X-Men wave might be unlikely

We may see some of those characters individually at random points throughout the next few waves, though. We've already got an Animated style (or as I like to call it, the Jim Lee era) archangel due out by early next year... I would bet that we are going to be seeing Gambit and Beast at some point before wave 25 or so... but as for the rest - who knows.

But yeah, I think it's safe to say that a lot of people are wanting those mates. There was a time when most of us fans/collectors were getting a bit tired with all the Xmen related mates - but considering what we've got coming with waves 16, 19 and 20, I think the fans as a whole might be a bit more accepting of some (not yet released) Xmen characters... but it may be several more years yet before we can have a complete 'animated' Xmen team...

Hmm, watching that intro again reminds me... even though the C3 playsets failed, I think it would be cool if they had some sort of play set equivalent for the Marvel Mates and it was a Blackbird. You could package atg least 4 X-Men mates with it that could be from the animated show.

Ah, pipe dreams of a minimate fan...

I think (if I'm remembering correctly) that Prof. X's hoverchair was more in line with a vehicle, and thus not allowed under the license.

Hopefully, we will see some of these figures in the future, though... The ones that we do have are nice, but they're not quite "there"... Rogue needs a jacket! Cyclops always looked more bad-ass! Classic Beast!

theres always an exacto knife and ultimate sabre tooth's jacket to slap on a rogue mate, Ive been thinking about that myself. plus we need more xmen. gambit, psylocke, jim lee storm. I HATE the storm ffrom the giant size set. I leave her in the box. plus the hair piece doesnt stay on. More villains and jubilee would rule

Essentially the animated series characters were modeled off the Jim Lee art. Although I believe this is where the book took a style over substance nosedive I have to admit the characters looked cool. Some animated X-Men Minimate love would be appreciated except for Morph, he sucked.

^Haha, but the other 2 have nothing to do with the 3rd one ;) Believe me, you'll like them. And I agree about Storm, we got some cool ones, but it would be nice to see her with a different expression. A ferocious one.

I think if we were to see any of the nineties style X-Men, it'd be Gambit and Beast. Gambit because that's more or less the same look he ahs always had, and Beast because that's still his most definitive look.

I'm torn on those two, because either could be the variant for that wave, Gambit as Death or Beast as Dark Beast, and I'd love both of those. If I had to guess I'd say Dark Beast as he's coming back into the spotlight in the comics right now.

• 2 weeks later...

yes, i loved the animated series so minimates would be great, especially of cyclops and rouge. Maybe we could get a new wheelchair for xavier (yellow hover one)

oh and hyejinx1984 I agree about Jeans costume, i never got was she supposed to be barefoot? it definetly looked like it

JAG2045