UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Customizer's "How to" Guide

I know what you mean Bob, though I can't really afford decal paper, or the sealant as I use an inkjet printer.

YB, I forgot about the hairdryer thing. The hairpiece isn't tight, I cant even get it on the head now. I think part of the problem is that it's a big hairppiece which covers most the sides of the head.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have run into that problem, and I have also tried the hairdryer solution with good results. And as for the edges of the paper, unless you are working with very light colors, I usually just run a black permanent marker along the edges before I apply the sticker. It tends to look very natural, like the black edge is just a corner of the plastic.

• 3 weeks later...

What do you guys think of using sharpies or things like that for customizing? And what kind specifically? I'm not very artistically inclined. Basically I want to change a torso's color but not cover over the graphics on the torso... what's the best way to do that? It's just a white button-up shirt that i want to color red.

Edited by CableNathan

• 3 weeks later...

I have run into that problem, and I have also tried the hairdryer solution with good results. And as for the edges of the paper, unless you are working with very light colors, I usually just run a black permanent marker along the edges before I apply the sticker. It tends to look very natural, like the black edge is just a corner of the plastic.

Thanks for the advice Luke, it worked a treat.

I also thought I would share this trick I learnt:

Have you, for any reason, tired to mix and match pieces from new and old mates? Due to the changes the waist pegs are different lengths, and the older ones are ever so slightly thicker. This means they don't grip the new torso tight enough and will fall out.

An easy solution to this is drinking straws, just cut one to the length of the peg and slide it on, its pretty snug but a drop of glue makes it stronger. This makes the new pegs just that bit thicker so they stay in the old torso blocks.

Edited by Liney

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

since we're not getting an updated Diamond Emma Frost anytime soon, i'd like to ask the customizers for ideas on how to paint the avx emma frost into her diamond form. i previously tried painting the flesh parts of an astonishing emma & xmfc emma with a Mr.Color "shine silver(metallic)" paint. it has that silver glittery effect but it doesnt really translate into "glittering diamond." it looks like she's made of a shimmering metal. and i really can't find any acrylic glitter paint locally.

any tips/ideas how to give it a more diamond-y effect? please?

So..i'm gonna start making my custom mates with paint and decals. Is there a good sealer everyone recommends? And does it keep the decals and paint from rubbing off? If I seal them, will I be able to handle them? **looks around**..so what if I enjoy a good Superman vs. Hulk minimate battle? What other 32 year old married man doesn'?

• 3 weeks later...

I know what you mean Bob, though I can't really afford decal paper, or the sealant as I use an inkjet printer.

Sorry for a very late repsonse, but I just read your comment:

I've used my inkjet printer for all the customs I've ever made. Decal paper for inkjet printers and a clear coat is all you need. It's not that expensive.

• 4 months later...

I didn't want to create an entirely new thread for this but has anyone had success using Lego Minifig heads for minimate customs? I am tempted to use heads from the Chima series as well as the Ninja Turtles lego to make customs. Any experience or advice would be appreciated.

I didn't want to create an entirely new thread for this but has anyone had success using Lego Minifig heads for minimate customs? I am tempted to use heads from the Chima series as well as the Ninja Turtles lego to make customs. Any experience or advice would be appreciated.

You should check out Prowlar's customs

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=9791&page=20

Apologies in advance: i feel like i asked this question some time ago, but for the life of me, i can't find the thread ti was in.

I'm looking at purchasing a Dremel. I would like to get into some customising & was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations on exactly which model would be the best for working with minimates? DO i want a less powerful one, since i'm working on such small pieces? If so - will the less powerful one be less useful for doing other work around the house?

Also - Does anyone have much experience with LED's? I'd like to light up some of my figures from within/behind, but i don't want the light source to be too obtrusive. Are there any LED's with a power source that would actually fit inside a minimate?

EDIT: Found my old post - it seems i was looking at a Dremel 300 which would probably not be so good for household chores. Still would like to know peoples experiences with tiny LEDs though :)

Edited by Nessex

Apologies in advance: i feel like i asked this question some time ago, but for the life of me, i can't find the thread ti was in.

I'm looking at purchasing a Dremel. I would like to get into some customising & was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations on exactly which model would be the best for working with minimates? DO i want a less powerful one, since i'm working on such small pieces? If so - will the less powerful one be less useful for doing other work around the house?

Also - Does anyone have much experience with LED's? I'd like to light up some of my figures from within/behind, but i don't want the light source to be too obtrusive. Are there any LED's with a power source that would actually fit inside a minimate?

EDIT: Found my old post - it seems i was looking at a Dremel 300 which would probably not be so good for household chores. Still would like to know peoples experiences with tiny LEDs though smile.png

I have been trying to find a good source for that type of LED for a long time now, and I haven't been able to find anything. If anyone does have any ideas for something like that, I would love to know as well!

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a load of FCBD mates with the idea of using the near black bodies for customs. However they don't have peg holes in the heads, what would be easier:

1- Mark the centre of the head and dremel/drill a hole the same size as the peg holes.

2- Cut the pegs of any hairpiece I want/need to use.

Each has its own merits. Drill holes means any hair piece can be used but might be difficult to get in the right place. Cutting off pegs means no drill mistakes but also means the hairpieces are likely to fall off easily.

Unless I plan on using the head without a helmet or hair again I prefer to drill a hole. I'm not sure about the size of the bit, I just slide it through an existing peg hole to find the correct one, but rather than trying to mark the top of the head I go through the neck hole. It makes it easier to center it up by sight alone.

if you choose to drill, I'd suggest going through the bottom of the head first with a smaller drill bit. it is a good way to guide you to the center. then you could come back with a bigger on from the top if you needed. hope that makes sense, I'm not the best a splainin' stuff

I picked up a load of FCBD mates with the idea of using the near black bodies for customs. However they don't have peg holes in the heads, what would be easier:

Firstly I'm intrigued about the 'near black bodies' ......... surely they're all white save for the tampos ?

I'm not trying to be clever & I ain't no expert but surely if you want black bodied Minimates then there are many that I can think of ...these being the most obvious http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=355&n=Bad+Apple+Comics , BSG Cylons are another. Regards the hole in the head..... depending on what base colour you're looking for ....it might be easier to do an entire head swap rather than fart about with a drill ?

If you're looking for some Minimate heads etc. PM me,be specific & within reason I'll send you some if I have any that fits the bill. I'm UK like you .

I admire customisers but sometimes its perhaps better to think simple .