UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Customizer's "How to" Guide

Thanks guys. That's it, I'm running to the store tomorrow to get a nice Citadel Silver. Wait, won't the Tamiya Clear Red mess that up too? And why would a spray-can paint be problematic? (I was considering using spray paint.)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the paint is turning 'gummy' when you combine them, but fine when seperate, it sounds like one of the paints is acrylic and the other is an oil-based enamel.

The only reason I asked if it was a spray is that a lot of the metallics that give a good chrome shine are not acrylic based.

If you are going to use a spray, go with Krylon and their line of plastic specific spray paints.

Thank you so much to both of you, you've been very helpful. Like I said, I've never had these problems before, back when I was still into MLs and (for a VERY short time) MU. I'll post the results of my work after I get the paint I need.

• 4 weeks later...

Question: if metallic colors are done by painting a layer of silver and then a layer of clear, say, red paint over it, what Citadel paint type is best for the clear paint? For instance, I lay down a Mithril Silver coat -- what do I do next? Would an Ink or Wash work better?

• 3 weeks later...
question i just got my x-factor iceman but 1 problem the front chest has a huge crack.

does any one have a solution on how i can seal this crack???

Wow, I have never heard of that happening before. Could you put some superglue in the crack with a toothpick and then squeeze his torso for a minute or so until it dries?

question i just got my x-factor iceman but 1 problem the front chest has a huge crack.

does any one have a solution on how i can seal this crack???

Looks like a job for the buttheadsmate solution . If you could send me $4 via paypal & I'll send you the solution.

.......can you post a pic Warbuny?

I can't really see how this will help but I'm in a helpful mood..........

post-638-1282158758_thumb.jpg

Edited by buttheadsmate

• 4 months later...

Vallejo is my paint of choice, I cannot recommend them enough. They are MUCH better than Citadel, Testors, etc as they are the perfect consistency (not too watery like Testors or not too thick like Citadel sometimes is), so they paint on smoother without brush strokes. I also notice that they dry faster. I order mine through an ebay store called miniaturemarket.

As for ordering citadel paints, there's always ebay, or direct from the company, and Luke also has a paint set in his store.

Edited by Punisher

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Okay... during my "lost year" I quietly began assembling fodder and parts to try my hand a minimate customizing. I'm not a complete noob at the custom game, and I swear I have been paying attention to the work you guys have been doing. I do have a procedural question.

For my first custom I'm starting with some very simple ones. Part swaps, a little painting, nothing horribly detailed yet. Among them, removing all traces of Skrull from SI Beast and SI Jewel. And that brings me to my question. What is the best way to attack these?

Acetone paint removal? Light sanding? Just paint over the green? And if paint, what paint best matches minimate flesh? (or what formula mixes best?) And if anyone as a good SI Beast match formula, I'd appreciate it.

While opinions will no doubt vary, I would say Acetone will damage the plastic, even when diluted (some people use watered down nail polish remover).

Recently, I've come to find surgical spirit (or... rubbing alcohol? in the US) to be perfect for this sort of thing... no damage, quick and looks rather professionally done.

• 5 months later...

I was just wandering if anyone has a solution or alternative to the stiff skirt peieces on minimates?

Mainly becasue I would like to have a Lt Uhura who can actually sit at her station on the bridge.

I was thinking maybe a trimmed down balloon slipped over the crotch piece, or the skirt template from the minimate factory cut out of one.

This way it would fit the waist but not to be tight as to hinder the legs.

Would this work?

Need help with the right program to print off simple decals for 'mates.

I have a Mac and both the Adobe Reader and the Preview programs won't let me print them off at either the right size for the chest OR they will but the color is really muddy.

Thank you!

I just use Microsoft Word