UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Customizer's "How to" Guide

I picked up a load of FCBD mates with the idea of using the near black bodies for customs. However they don't have peg holes in the heads, what would be easier:

Firstly I'm intrigued about the 'near black bodies' ......... surely they're all white save for the tampos ?

I'm not trying to be clever & I ain't no expert but surely if you want black bodied Minimates then there are many that I can think of ...these being the most obvious http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=355&n=Bad+Apple+Comics , BSG Cylons are another. Regards the hole in the head..... depending on what base colour you're looking for ....it might be easier to do an entire head swap rather than fart about with a drill ?

If you're looking for some Minimate heads etc. PM me,be specific & within reason I'll send you some if I have any that fits the bill. I'm UK like you .

I admire customisers but sometimes its perhaps better to think simple .

I agree with that 110% but sometimes I just wanna drill some hole (I left the S off for speculation , wink wink)

but seriously, when I was in the Marines they would preach K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the drilling advice everyone, I'll try it out on one and if I balls it up I can fill it in/cut the pegs of future customs.

I picked up a load of FCBD mates with the idea of using the near black bodies for customs. However they don't have peg holes in the heads, what would be easier:

Firstly I'm intrigued about the 'near black bodies' ......... surely they're all white save for the tampos ?
I'm not trying to be clever & I ain't no expert but surely if you want black bodied Minimates then there are many that I can think of ...these being the most obvious http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=355&n=Bad+Apple+Comics , BSG Cylons are another. Regards the hole in the head..... depending on what base colour you're looking for ....it might be easier to do an entire head swap rather than fart about with a drill ?

If you're looking for some Minimate heads etc. PM me,be specific & within reason I'll send you some if I have any that fits the bill. I'm UK like you .

I admire customisers but sometimes its perhaps better to think simple .

Sorry that was typo, should have said blank bases. I see what you mean about swapping heads, but I have a job lot of 25 FCBD mates to use up. 7 are being used for characters from Kabuki so the white heads are ideal.

Another UKer, hurray! I might drop you a PM in the near future regard parts, and I thank you for the kind offer.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering what you guys use when you paint minimates, I've used various acrylics with varying results, they just tend to scratch off with ease. Even when I spray sealer on them.

Also does anyone paint with an airbrush? I have a lot of fleshtones to paint and thought an airbrush might be quicker and would look smoother.

Edited by Liney

Couple of follow up questions:

When painting is it important to prime? I'm using FCBD mates, so they are all white, so I guess not, but on other colours I don't know.

Can I just paint over the mate as it is, or should I lightly buff it to allow it to take paint better?

• 5 months later...

What paints do people use for flesh tones, or do you mix your own?

I know there are a few different flesh tones used on mates, I'm trying to match Invaders Namor.

The closest I have found is Citadels 'Kislev Flesh' so far but its still a bit too dark.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone offer any clarity on inkjet decals?

I purchased a tester pack from Amazon, of 1 sheet of dry rub, clear, white and adhesive film papers.

The instructions say not to adjust the print settings but the results were very washed out and blurry on the clear paper, which I fixed by using the photo setting.

However after blowing through the whole sheet of white paper testing every print option they still smudge and look grainy. Especially dark colours. Any idea why?

CableNathan, you should order the ones from lukestoystore. They are very thin. I have some but haven't had time to finish any designs and actually print them out. Everyone that has used them has said that they are great though.

I suggest the same to you Liney. The only other decal paper I have used is Inkjet waterslide decal paper. Those worked great, but over the years I have noticed the colors have run for some reason. They used to look fine. I did have them in storage in the basement, so maybe that's what caused the colors to run. Maybe others can chime in on how their decals have held up over the years.

• 3 months later...

Get a bottle of Goof Off at your local hardware store. Put a little bit on a Q-Tip, and you can rub off any tampo details you don't want.

fOvYiSK.jpg

Stuff is amazing!! I use it for all my figures ('mates, other action-y types, dolls). Note -- a lil goes a long way, so be careful. Also, make sure your area is well-ventilated. In the beginning, I was using it in my bathroom. confused.gif

Okay everyone I am going to buy some materials to start making my own customs. For paint I was thinking Vallejo Paint. For sculpting I was thinking Apoxie Sculpt. Now what paint brushes should I use, what do I use to sculpt with, where can I get a lot of minimates for a decent price so I can use them to form my own custom minimates, and lastly where do I begin? Anyone who responds, cheers for the response!

-Constantine

Edited by asu928

For the apoxie sculpt and fixit sculpt, isnt there one that is bendy and the other is solid and stiff? Or am I thinking of another product? Which of the two would be better for what purposes? They are kind of expensive so Im trying to figure out what I need.

Also is the 1/4 pound enough/last a while? I was thinking about a pound of each but I thought I should ask first.

I have some green stuff at home but i havent used it, and Ive never liked how super sculpey gets flakey and you have to bake it. On that note the green stuff cures by itself right?

• 2 years later...

I'm so sorry if this is the wrong thread.....I was hoping to customize/build a few X-men related minimates? I'm very new to the hobby and I'm simply obsessed....

Can someone tell me how I can build the following by using existing parts and which parts I can use?

-Joseph (traditional x-men costume) 

-Non powered Sunspot (traditional new mutants costume)

-Non powered Magma (traditional new mutants costume)

Jospeh=Strike Force uniform from Wave 60 + Age of Apocalypse Magento face and hair

Roberto DeCosta=New Mutants Cannonball + Alt. Sunspot head from "New Mutants" box set

Amara Aquila=New Mutants Karma + ASM1 Gwen Stacy head + any suitable blonde hair

I hope that helps!