UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Yet another Minimate website

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I just want to say thanks. I'm a relatively new guy in the world of Minimates collecting and I found the database extremely helpful, especially since I'm a stick-to-one-character-universe collector (Spider-Man universe). :)

I'll look into your account Danny. We've had a few glitches with the super-premium-gimme-all-the-boobies-you-got accounts. I'll extend your membership a couple months gratis for the hassle.

No one ever told me the adult entertainment industry would be this hard. Account management problems, content organization problems, heated contract negotiations, unruly pimps, fluffer strikes, Feds breaking down your door... It never ends. Gone are the days when you could shoot a nice little video on a camcorder, dupe a few VHS copies, slap a box on them and make a mint. Sigh.

On a more positive note, we just shot the cover photos for the July 2010 DVD (and Blu-Ray!) It doesn't have a title... or a script... or even a plot yet really. But I'm sure it will be a complex, taut, character-driven cinematic masterpiece. A Tour de Force!

100603_dvdcover750.jpg

(Click for 1200x1800 version, suitable for all your pervy wallpaper needs.)

Hi Ivan:

I was purusing the wonderful Minimates Database, as I do frequently, and I noticed the description for some accessories of the new Iron Man 2 box set include 2 sets of Flesh colored hands and 2 sets of Brown colored hands. I presume the Brown hands are for the flesh of either Nick Fury or Jim Rhodes, while the Flesh named hands are for the peach skinned Tony Stark. I'm not sure how you got the naming confused, but I wanted to point that out. :P

Seriously, if I could offer one recommendation to be more graphical arts accurate, can the Database call Flesh by the more accurate color name Peach?

Ethnography

Peach resembles average Caucasian skin tone. Crayola created a peach colored crayon in 1949 named Flesh, which was subsequently renamed peach in 1962 in response to the activists of the civil rights movement, who pointed out that this color is only the color of the flesh of Caucasians.

I know "Flesh" is easier to type than "Caucasian Skin Tone" but it lacks accurateness. Plus, the hue and tone of peach can vary widely. If DST has locked down a standard peach they are using for "Caucasian Skin Tone" then let's call it Peach.

I believe this step towards graphical arts accuracy has added benefits. Quick Customs, Parts Swapping, and Customizing becomes easier when the part's color names are more technically aligned (if even by a little bit).

black, brown, sepia, peach, apricot, white, tan, mahogany - all colors of flesh. :)

I actually have a suggestion that I don't want to suggest at all, because I don't actually want to submit anyone to this amount of work. But anyways...

I use the Database extensively for custom research, finding out which Minimates have what part. So I was thinking that it would be interesting to have a list of where else different unique pieces are available.

For example, most recently I was looking for a skirt. So say I'm looking at Natalie Romanova, and at the bottom of the page it tells me that the skirt sculpt is shared with Pepper Potts, D'Anna and probably quite a few others. And then the Gloved hand can also be found with Stealth Iron Man, and so on. Again, probably way too much work, so I'm certainly not expecting this to happen, and I'm thankful the database exists at all, it's a huge help to me as a customizer.

I can't say I haven't considered it. Mainly when trying to decide whether a particular bit of plastic is an accessory or intrinsic to the character. (Depending on how tired I am, that decision is not entirely consistent nor necessarily accurate.) Just saying everything is a "part" would take the fuzzyness out of the process and to me that is a very attractive option.

But... Updates would be seriously delayed. Depending on how you break a Minimate up, each figure has at least 9 parts (foot, left leg, right leg, crotch, torso, left arm, right arm, hand, head), to photograph and catalog. Then, you'd have to match up to see what's already been used. Example: Is Radioactive Man's arm the same color as the SDCC Translucent Green?

Not to mention the entire backlog. We're up over 900 Minimates now. 900 times 9 = 8100 parts. That's not counting hairpieces, chest caps, gauntlets, torso extensions, machine gun hands, etc. Sure there's a lot of duplication, but it's still a crapload of individual parts.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm probably not the guy who's going to be doing it. Unless DST has a job opening for Minimate Archivist*, I still have to go to work like everyone else.

Honestly, I've been having a lot of fun lately with virtual Minimates and compiling a Minimate Parts Database sounds boring as hell. :)

*One can dream...

I'm no sycophant & I'm being totally genuine when I say that what you have achieved already with the Database is bloody incredible .....just keep it as it is . As for Shamrock's idea maybe there is some scope for a thread that explores it further ?

Edited by buttheadsmate

• 2 years later...

Apologies for the thread necro but I just wanted to say how much I love the 'Random' button over at the database. Sometimes when I'm supposed to be working I'll wander over and just click it for half an hour or so. It kills my productivity but satiates my desire for Minimate goodness! Hail Ivan!

Edited by Fujis

Thanks Fujis. For such an easily implemented feature, it is quite well-loved.

While this thread is near the top I'd like to take the opportunity to mention that updates are going to be a bit delayed. So I hope no one is holding their breath for ASM, TRU13, Expendables, etc. The time I had budgeted to work on the site has recently been reallocated to more pedestrian concerns.

So here's a question. What is it going to take to catalog an accessory/parts inventory? See what characters use a specific hair mold, who came with spare hands, a more comprehensive list of accessories? Does this require more time, money or manpower? Or all 3? :thumbsup:

The Database is great as it is but a couple of things I'd like to see is a 'page' or two with all the faces on...just the faces altogether....& like Dino says maybe some 'pages' with hairpieces.

-ungratefulheadsmate :blush:

....also I know why you do it ;) but could we stick to 'Norman Osborn' rather than 'Norman Osborne' :thumbsup:

Thankyou Ivan.

BTW...anybody... is 'Hot Dog Costanza's' hairpiece unique?

Edited by buttheadsmate

Like this BHM?

fig0001h050.jpgfig0002h050.jpgfig0003h050.jpgfig0004h050.jpgfig0005h050.jpgfig0006h050.jpgfig0007h050.jpgfig0008h050.jpgfig0009h050.jpgfig0010h050.jpg

fig0011h050.jpgfig0012h050.jpgfig0013h050.jpgfig0014h050.jpgfig0015h050.jpgfig0016h050.jpgfig0017h050.jpgfig0018h050.jpgfig0019h050.jpgfig0020h050.jpg

fig0021h050.jpgfig0022h050.jpgfig0023h050.jpgfig0024h050.jpgfig0025h050.jpgfig0026h050.jpgfig0027h050.jpgfig0028h050.jpgfig0029h050.jpgfig0030h050.jpg

fig0031h050.jpgfig0032h050.jpgfig0033h050.jpgfig0034h050.jpgfig0035h050.jpgfig0036h050.jpgfig0037h050.jpgfig0038h050.jpgfig0039h050.jpgfig0040h050.jpg

fig0041h050.jpgfig0042h050.jpgfig0043h050.jpgfig0044h050.jpgfig0045h050.jpgfig0046h050.jpgfig0047h050.jpgfig0048h050.jpgfig0049h050.jpgfig0050h050.jpg

fig0051h050.jpgfig0052h050.jpgfig0053h050.jpgfig0054h050.jpgfig0055h050.jpgfig0056h050.jpgfig0057h050.jpgfig0058h050.jpgfig0059h050.jpgfig0060h050.jpg

fig0061h050.jpgfig0062h050.jpgfig0063h050.jpgfig0064h050.jpgfig0065h050.jpgfig0066h050.jpgfig0067h050.jpgfig0068h050.jpgfig0069h050.jpgfig0070h050.jpg

fig0071h050.jpgfig0072h050.jpgfig0073h050.jpgfig0074h050.jpgfig0075h050.jpgfig0076h050.jpgfig0077h050.jpgfig0078h050.jpgfig0079h050.jpgfig0080h050.jpg

fig0081h050.jpgfig0082h050.jpgfig0083h050.jpgfig0084h050.jpgfig0085h050.jpgfig0086h050.jpgfig0087h050.jpgfig0088h050.jpgfig0089h050.jpgfig0090h050.jpg

fig0091h050.jpgfig0092h050.jpgfig0093h050.jpgfig0094h050.jpgfig0095h050.jpgfig0096h050.jpgfig0097h050.jpgfig0098h050.jpgfig0099h050.jpgfig0100h050.jpg

(I'll fix the 'Osborne' accessories on the next update. Thanks.)

Hrm, what would it take to create a parts database? Perhaps something like this...

<cue swirly daydream dissolve>

Any project of considerable size needs a plan. So for the initial design I called in 'sick' to get some time to focus. First I set up the data object model then got started on the database table structure. When suddenly and without warning the power went out. Curious if my Makerbot had tripped a breaker again, I wandered over to panel. Nope, they were all fine. It must be some external cause. Stupid power company.

Unable to do anything in the dark basement I took my notepad upstairs and flopped on the couch. Okay, not really. First I grabbed a bag of Cheetos, then I flopped on the couch. No sooner were my feet on the coffee table when the front windows came crashing in. Dark figures rushed in from every side it seemed. Before I could a handle on what was going on I had a bag pulled over my head. Someone was forcing me out the front door.

Surprisingly, I was conscious for the ride. I could tell we went across a bridge, over some railroad tracks, and even next to a reservoir, but I have no idea where we ended up.

When they finally take the bag off I took the expected look around. A warehouse, how cliche. Maybe not a warehouse, but it was a big, empty space. Exposed structure. Low lighting. Exactly what you'd expect from this kind of movie. Other than my brute 'handlers', a desk and a chair, there is nothing else of consequence in the room.

As I get my bearings I hear a heavy metal door open and close in one of the dark corners. Next was a odd whirring sound that I couldn't identify. It was far away but was getting louder. I guess I let the fear show on my face because one of the big guys broke out in a huge smile.

Regaining composure, I ask "Do I amuse you?"

No response. Didn't really expect one anyway.

I turn back towards the sound as its source comes into the light. It's an electric wheelchair carrying a frail woman long past the age of caring about her appearance. Despite her physical weakness, her voice left doubt who was in charge.

"You are the creator of the Minimate Database, correct?"

"Yes," I replied, "are you a fan?"

"It is... inadequate. You have had five years to improve yet it stagnates."

I stammer. "I've made improvements. Uh, I added accessories, and statistics. You can see whats popular."

"Insufficient. It should be so much more."

"There are graphs," I add meekly.

"You are here to rectify your transgressions. You will build a new database. A bigger database. It will be a comprehensive repository of all Minimate related information. Every Minimate part, figure breakdowns, design sheets, mold matching, mobile access, user content, rankings, wishlists, robot butlers, social media, 360 degree turnarounds, action photos, full virtual environments where you can create your own Minimate using existing or user-generated parts."

"You will be confined to this room until it is complete. The only allowed interruptions will be for your day-to-day needs, food, sleep, coitus. This is your new home."

I stand there in stunned silence. I don't know what to say.

"...And you will do all of this out of the goodness of your heart."

She stares at me, awaiting a response. Finally I find the words, they come out confidently.

"Bring me Cheetos."

It's re-assuring that you're taking this seriously :rolleyes: However...

.......YosomemanIvan :thumbsup:

You've made the mistake of being a teat for the needy...the more you give ...erm...the more I suck :sad:

I'm forever looking for 'faces' & whilst the MMDB is my best bet sometimes trawling through the main checklist doesn't give me all the faces .....'All the faces would be good ' & your interpretation is on the right road.

-thankfulheadsmate

• 3 months later...

Feedback Request: In working on the DB revamp, I've decided I need a new logo/masthead. I've been playing around with the typography portion a bit and I'd like to get some outside opinions (as the inside voices are getting surly.)

mmdb_.png

I'd love to what you guys think works and what doesn't.

Much obliged.

Not #3. They run together and it looks too much like MMCB which is not what you want. The other two are nice though. #1 reads easier, but #2 is stylistically a lot better, so either of those are a good way to go.

EDIT: Looking again, #1 is doing this: DB. Let us all think in terms of emoticons and such. That looks like a screaming face to me. #2, with the D backwards is smiling and happy. Therefore I vote for #2.

Edited by The Geohound

I vote for #2 as well.I love the look.