UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Yet another Minimate website

Can I just necro this thread (yipes... seem to be doing this a lot lately) to rave about the Database's new look!!! It's pretty awe-inspiring seeing that many minimates on the front page, and the MMDB Statistics link amuses me to no end (the most clicked-on characters are Iron Man, Spiderman and Wolverine... who woulda thunk it? :P)

If I can just nitpick a little bit... I think Ivan missed the knife as an accessory in the Punisher War Zone boxset page.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I can just nitpick a little bit... I think Ivan missed the knife as an accessory in the Punisher War Zone boxset page.

Yep, you're right. It was one I didn't have to take a photo of for this update (since it was also in the Kraven pack), so it slipped through. Thanks for catching that NorthRaider. :)

Thanks for all the the kind words everyone. I'm glad the site is useful.

I was amazed how fast the new Wolverine shot above the BD Iron Man in the stats. That Iron Man has been the top spot since I started it. Of course these aren't cumulative numbers. Hmm, I think I'll have to create a cumulative stat page now. :) I never realized I was such a stat geek. Another one to add to the list.

Man I love the database...I use it alot to show other people certain minimates to help cultivate their interests in them...I also used it when compiling a chronological list of Marvel releases for my new display cases

Jeff of the Miniacs

This is a SUPERB site. I've been using it as my personal wants/have list since last year.

Can i ask a quick question: What helps you decide whether a MiniMate goes into the 'Phoenix' Variation of Character collection or in to the 'Jean Grey' Variation of Character?

Up till now, it seems that the name on the packaging has dictated where the character is listed on your page. However, i just noticed that the Secret Invasion Phoenix is grouped with the Ultimate & Movie Jean Greys. Would you consider putting them all together under the heading of Phoenix/Jean Grey? Or are they distinctly different characters in your mind?

I'd love to see them all together just to have her quick costume changes (mouse-over) all on one page.

Keep up the awesome work. MMDB has been instrumental in letting me know exactly what to search for when shopping for MiniMates. You are responsible for me having spent a great deal of money on eBay. Ha ha!

Congratulations!

If suggestions are flavour of the day I'll add one. How about a mug-shot 'page' where there is a thumbnail of all the characters faces ,just their faces. I believe you might even be going up that road already with your homepage & it's extremely useful when looking for a particular face for a custom .

How about a "am i hot?" button for each mate, giving a running talley of the most popular mates out there. Okay, probably not a good idea. :P

I think it is a fun idea.

Why wouldn't it be?? Jean sure would get a lot of my votes... :wub:

Seriously though; t would be nice to vote for the hottest Minimates out there, but it'd have to be realistic, as in quality, appearence, character; that sort of stuff. I'd hate to see 543 votes for Wolvie...Jeanie needs 542 of those... :yes:

Can i ask a quick question: What helps you decide whether a MiniMate goes into the 'Phoenix' Variation of Character collection or in to the 'Jean Grey' Variation of Character?

Up till now, it seems that the name on the packaging has dictated where the character is listed on your page. However, i just noticed that the Secret Invasion Phoenix is grouped with the Ultimate & Movie Jean Greys. Would you consider putting them all together under the heading of Phoenix/Jean Grey? Or are they distinctly different characters in your mind?

I'd love to see them all together just to have her quick costume changes (mouse-over) all on one page.

I actually puzzle over those kind of questions quite a bit. When should a Minimate be classified as Peter Parker instead of Spider-Man? Tony Stark instead of Iron Man? What do I do with the Ben Reilly Spider-Man? Where does Spider-Carnage go? My knowledge of the comic universes is limited, to say the least.

Combining Jean Grey & Phoenix is good solution in this case. The only reason the SI Phoenix was slotted in the Jean Grey character was because DST's product release listed the figure as "Jean Grey as Phoenix" and I just took the first part of that name. When I added pictures, I renamed the figure but didn't modify the category. I'll amalgamate those two in the next update.

...suggestions...

Thank you all for the ideas. You're actually in luck. Work has really being pissing me off lately. So when I get home, I have to find something to improve my mood. Strangely enough, working on the website does that. Look for more improvements in the (somewhat) near future.

I'd love to hear any other suggestions or feature requests. It'll keep me from punching that damn koala. :)

I actually puzzle over those kind of questions quite a bit. When should a Minimate be classified as Peter Parker instead of Spider-Man? Tony Stark instead of Iron Man? What do I do with the Ben Reilly Spider-Man? Where does Spider-Carnage go? My knowledge of the comic universes is limited, to say the least.

Combining Jean Grey & Phoenix is good solution in this case. The only reason the SI Phoenix was slotted in the Jean Grey character was because DST's product release listed the figure as "Jean Grey as Phoenix" and I just took the first part of that name. When I added pictures, I renamed the figure but didn't modify the category. I'll amalgamate those two in the next update.

Come to think of it, maybe you can add a sort of "Related characters" section to every character profile. Like having Venom, Carnage and Scarlet Spider as related to Spiderman, and War Machine as related to Iron Man. Sorting the characters by comic universe like on the MMMV definitive lists (i.e. sorting the Spidey friends/foes from the X-Men ones, the F4 ones, the Iron man ones, the Captain America ones...) might be a good idea too :)

OOH! To link them, you can use a cloud! Like Luke's! A cloud, a cloud!

LOL, this statement gets REALLY hilarious when it's taken out of context :lol:

(For all you newbies: TM2 Dinobot isn't high. He's referring to luke314pi's cool-looking tag cloud on the Minimate Factory ;))

OOH! To link them, you can use a cloud! Like Luke's! A cloud, a cloud!

LOL, this statement gets REALLY hilarious when it's taken out of context :lol:

(For all you newbies: TM2 Dinobot isn't high. He's referring to luke314pi's cool-looking tag cloud on the Minimate Factory ;))

Have you ever really looked at your hands before...?

• 5 months later...

Apologies for the double post but I just discovered something interesting...

Has anyone here actually read the Blade comics? Watched the movies? Can anybody here confirm what that boomerang-thingy he throws is actually called?

Because unless Blade himself gave the thing its name, I don't think "glaive" (the name given for it in the Database) is the accurate term for it. Because in real life this isn't a glaive. This is. (Man, my Stikfas Warrior Monk figure actually comes with this "correct" glaive. You'd think I'd have caught on to the thing's name by now.)

[/weapon pedantry]

Apologies for the double post but I just discovered something interesting...

Has anyone here actually read the Blade comics? Watched the movies? Can anybody here confirm what that boomerang-thingy he throws is actually called?

Because unless Blade himself gave the thing its name, I don't think "glaive" (the name given for it in the Database) is the accurate term for it. Because in real life this isn't a glaive. This is. (Man, my Stikfas Warrior Monk figure actually comes with this "correct" glaive. You'd think I'd have caught on to the thing's name by now.)

[/weapon pedantry]

Heh, when I was cataloging the accessories I had no idea what I was going to call that thing. After some research, I came upon this licensed replica called a glaive. I don't know for certain that they are meant to be the same weapon. They have roughly the same shape, so I figured "What the hell, who's going to notice?" :blush:

If anyone can tell me what this is really called, I'll be happy to change it.

**Loves stikfas, and is glad I don't have to identify what all their accessories are. :) **

I just did a Google Image seach and there are a bunch of different images for "glaive" including varoius throwing weapons. As far as I'm concerned Blade has a glaive. Why can't there be two weapons with the same name? Ivan... it's a glaive.

Wow, I should've read that glaive Wikipedia article more closely... it said that the term had been used alternately for some throwing projectiles after all. :pinch:

I'm still not sure Blade's boomerang-thing should be called a glaive though. But since making up a new name for it would be too much trouble (and because hunga munga sounds too silly), I'm guess I'm happy with the Database name for it for now.

P.S. Reading the chakram entry now makes me wish we had a Xena: Warrior Princess minimate. :P