UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Custom Minimates Project

And this is for Charity, so i think giving 75% to ABC and 25% going to MMMV sounds good.

You know, as evil as it sounds, I'd rather a 50/50 split. Ady puts a lot of money into this place, and without the Multiverse, this charity and so many other things could never have happened.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a rough list based on people's choices.

• *Shamrock = mummy

*Deadpool = Headless Horseman (maybe)

*Luke314pi - Minotaur

*TBT! = Skeleton

*Nervous = secret creation (or vampire)

*thepunisher=D = invisible guy

*MINI-MYTE = zombie (but not a hooker?!)

*jcastick = cyclops

*boyd = mad scientist

*Fujis = executioner (2.5")

*newaddict = phantom/ghost

*Jatte Pake = Big Foot (2.5")

*skullbuster = chupacabra

*The Crippler = gargoyle

So that leaves three undecided: my friend (who isn't a member yet), Cloneme, and antacost.

Anyway, I hope that helps people with their decision and as I said this is only a rough outline that we can work from.

Out of general curiosity, should we all agree to a general scale?

As in, use 2" Marvel-Sized Mates unless it's a big monster?

Good question Shamrock. I think we should leave the scale up to the customizer. Though I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of 2.5" and 3" monsters...

EDIT: Boyd has joined us as well so I've updated the list accordingly. Thanks Boyd!

EDIT #2: I'd love to create an Executioner-type guy if no one else does...

EDIT #3: newaddict has joined the team and I've added his character choice. Thanks newaddict!

EDIT #4: Added JP's character choice as well as started adding character sizes.

EDIT #5: Added skullbuster and The Crippler's character choices.

Perhaps we should say that average humans are 2" Minimates then?

You mean the victims? Yeah, I think that's a good idea. ;)

Hmm, never used mlilput before, I hope it's easy to get use for a newbie. Also, what kind of paint works best on minimates?

Milliput is pretty forgiving especially since you can sand it once it's cured. And you need acrylic paint for Minimates. I would recommend Citadel paints but people also use Testor's with great success. The one thing I can't stress enough is priming. Priming a figure makes it so much easier to paint. I use Citadel's Skull White if I'm using lighter colors and Testor's Grey Primer for dark colors.

Also, I've found that Testor's Dullcote is the best for clear-coating.

Hey Fujis, not sure if everyone has agreed on a charity, but being as this will take time to get rolling and then auction the customs for the funds, possibly moving the end closer to the holiday season, maybe Toys For Tots might be a beneficiary of the proceeds. They are a charity I like to contribute to, simply because all children deserve toys on Christmas (well, all but Canadian children :P). Just a thought since we are all toy lovers.

That's a great suggestion Shane. Where does everyone stand on the charity? As I've said, I'm particularly fond of America's Blood Center because it fits so well with our theme of monsters and it benefits both Americans and Canadians. Plus, I'd rather have these guys for sale in August as opposed to prolonging this for the whole year. Thoughts?

Just as an idea, something I'm already working on, just to give it a little extra 'umph', maybe each minimate can come with it's own 3x2.5 inch trading card with a drawn version of the minimate (already doing Werewolf) on it. Just a little extra something that comnes with it with a goofy little bio and or trivia for the monster in question and the designers name?

Just as an idea, something I'm already working on, just to give it a little extra 'umph', maybe each minimate can come with it's own 3x2.5 inch trading card with a drawn version of the minimate (already doing Werewolf) on it. Just a little extra something that comnes with it with a goofy little bio and or trivia for the monster in question and the designers name?

That is a fantastic idea! Although is the onus on the customizer to make his/her own trading card? And I'm worried about the legal ramifications of such a thing. DST might be okay with us selling customs for charity (in so much as they'll look they other way and won't sue us) but putting something in print like a trading card might change that. I could be totally wrong here - can someone with more info amd experience in the realm of copyrights speak to that?

Well it's not an official "Trading card" just a trading card size piece of paper that would come with the minimate. If anything the trading cards are less of an issue because trading cards in and of themselves are not something that any company owns, where as minimates specificly are owned by a certain company. For some odd reason I have the compulsion to add what every character's favorite song is on the card... Werewolf = Bark at the Moon, Ozzy Osbourne... Zombie - Thriller, Michael Jackson... LOL.

P.S.

How about the name "Monster-Mates"? :D

Well it's not an official "Trading card" just a trading card size piece of paper that would come with the minimate. If anything the trading cards are less of an issue because trading cards in and of themselves are not something that any company owns, where as minimates specificly are owned by a certain company.

It's just the whole "putting something in print" thing that I'm worried about. Customs, while they are a grey area, are just modifications of a company's product traded between fans; a trading card, even fan-made seems...different somehow. I love the idea, don't get me wrong, I just want to make sure we go about this the right way and don't get ourselves or anyone else in trouble.

Well it's not an official "Trading card" just a trading card size piece of paper that would come with the minimate. If anything the trading cards are less of an issue because trading cards in and of themselves are not something that any company owns, where as minimates specificly are owned by a certain company.

It's just the whole "putting something in print" thing that I'm worried about. Customs, while they are a grey area, are just modifications of a company's product traded between fans; a trading card, even fan-made seems...different somehow. I love the idea, don't get me wrong, I just want to make sure we go about this the right way and don't get ourselves or anyone else in trouble.

I guess we can look into it, but I really don't think it'll be an issue. If you want to play it safe, we can dump the whole bio/wording thing and just have an image of the design on one side of teh card with the characters name "werewolf" etc, whatever...

Here's something I started working on a few minutes ago.. the final idea would beWerewolf running through the grass, moon in the background, head slightly tilted up growling... this is still barely just the skeleton.

Pose.jpg

Also I think the sarcaphogus for the Mummy is a GREAT idea! I love little touches like that :D

P.S.

We could also even write a disclaimer on the back of the card saying something like "This is a non-profit item being auctioned for charity"etc...

If this is turned into a repeated event, we could use a name like "Minimates for Charity" or "Charitymates" with a subtitle such as "Monstermates for blood"

Actually, looking at that card WIP, I think it could be a great idea.

When Fujis has all the customs, he takes pictures of them in logical poses, and sends the pics to an Illustrator-savvy person who then traces them into an illustration of the custom, and places them in a scene.

I guess we can look into it, but I really don't think it'll be an issue. If you want to play it safe, we can dump the whole bio/wording thing and just have an image of the design on one side of teh card with the characters name "werewolf" etc, whatever...

That's just the thing, we don't know if it'll be an issue or not. Let me check with DST and I'll get back to you.

If this is turned into a repeated event, we could use a name like "Minimates for Charity" or "Charitymates" with a subtitle such as "Monstermates for blood"

Actually, looking at that card WIP, I think it could be a great idea.

When Fujis has all the customs, he takes pictures of them in logical poses, and sends the pics to an Illustrator-savvy person who then traces them into an illustration of the custom, and places them in a scene.

Charitymates is pretty cool but our case it's more like "Minimates for (mostly) charity" or "Minimates for Char-Ady".

If we do end up doing the trading cards I think Shamrock has the right idea here - to maintain some kind of consistency one person might end up doing the bulk of the work. And this could be for 15 customs or more! BTW, I love what you've got so far there, hyejinx!

That's a great suggestion Shane. Where does everyone stand on the charity? As I've said, I'm particularly fond of America's Blood Center because it fits so well with our theme of monsters and it benefits both Americans and Canadians. Plus, I'd rather have these guys for sale in August as opposed to prolonging this for the whole year. Thoughts?

I think Shane's idea of Toys for Tots is a brilliant suggestion, however I think the timing may be off. How about we consider planning a second (later) one of these with a different theme which could benefit Toys for Tots? I think the monster theme will sell better prior to Halloween and doesn't quite fit with the "child-like" association most people have with Toys for Tots.

I'm also available for card designs.

See my work on my Poster Contest entry for an example of what I can do.

And these should be easier considering the 'Mates would already be designed, as I had to make all the extra details for the Grindhouse ones.

I think Shane's idea of Toys for Tots is a brilliant suggestion, however I think the timing may be off. How about we consider planning a second (later) one of these with a different theme which could benefit Toys for Tots? I think the monster theme will sell better prior to Halloween and doesn't quite fit with the "child-like" association most people have with Toys for Tots.

Maybe a Christmas theme for Toys for Tots? It's obvious, but it could work