UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DST Q & A #4

Shanester

Lets go ahead and start your questions for Q&A number four to the good folks at DST. DO NOT ask questions about minis that DST does not cover (ie. DCD minis). Try not to ask questions already answered and do not write a book, just ask a question.

First time asker long time reader.

1) I was wondering why the movie mates (x-men 3, Spiderman 3, ghost rider) were released so far after the movies came out?

2) What will the merger of AA into DST mean for minimates? Will it mean that we will see more lines? Will it be easier for minimates to acquire more lines? What I am really hoping for is a Firefly/serenity mates.

3) We all know Spiderman is your favorite character but which Spiderman is your favorite minimates? The new one from the movie, kickn’ it old school with the one from wave 2, mixing it up with ultimate Spiderman, a taste of the dark side and black Spiderman, or anyone of the others that were made?

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of questions.

Hey guys! Thanks as always for doing these Q&A's, it's awesome that you care enough to interact with the fans.

1) This question might have answered itself by the time you are answering it but is the Target Spider-Man wave going to be released soon? I've heard rumors of it being cancelled...

2) I saw Micheal Leavey interviewed by Natasha Eloi at the International Toy Fair on tv - any chance you guys will do more television spots/commercials in the future?

3) Since DST has acquired AA does AA still exist? The forum is still up and blurbs abut new Minimates still say "sculpted by Art Asylum". Will AA remain a name only referring to your in-house designers or are you all Diamond Select Toys now?

4) Along that line, did you guys take on the Speed Racer and Kellogg's licenses?

5) In the previous Q&A you mentioned that Cally from the BSG line was shown as a potential exclusive at Toy Fair but no one was interested. Is she being presented as part of a 2-pack with Lt. Gaeta or by herself? If she isn't picked up as an exclusive will she be released in a later wave? And along those lines will Roslyn and Zarek be part of wave 4?

6) We saw pics of a "lab coat" Baltar in ToyFare magazine but haven't heard anything since. Is he still being released? And is he a retailer exclusive?

7) This has been asked a thousand times before but I for one am desperate for confirmation one way or another - will the 2nd wave of Street Fighter Minimates be released?

8) Can you walk us through the Minimate design process in a little more detail? I'm not looking for you to reveal your secrets, I'm just curious to know the stages a Minimate goes through from the first meeting you guys have, through the revisions, and to the shelves.

9) We've heard stories about the internet recruitment of artists by toy companies in the past. One of our own, Barry Bradfiled, was hired as a freelance designer by AA (and I assume he works for you now). Has DST scouted and recruited anyone from the fan base?

Thanks again!

I hear this quote from you quite a bit in a lot of your answears in these Q & A sessions... "We don't have the licence to make minimates for that particular movie." or "DST dosen't have the licence to make Marvel minimates over 2" tall."

NO LICENCE! NO LICENCE! NO LICENCE!

Could you shed some light for us folk "not in the business" on how a toy company (such as DST) goes about aquiring a particular licence (ie: Marvel comic characters, BSG, BTTF or Rocky)? And could you shed some light on how different "sizing" licences work? You've stated in the past that DST doesn't have the licence / rights to make Marvel minimates over 2" tall. But say by some miracle, DST wanted to please the masses and make 2.5" Marvel minimates, what would be involved on your (DST's) end to make this happen? Does it involve waiting for some other licence holder's licence to expire? I have no clue. Please tell us something usable. Thanks.

Mini-Myte

Hello-I'm wondering since there's all these speculations about BSG the series, ending, will we at least get up to the 3rd wave of mates thats already been announced, and if so, is there any chance of more waves to follow?

Thanks for your time!

Since it's a given that series 2 of the Street Fighter 2/Darkstalkers Minimates is never going to see the light of day, what are the odds of any of the unique pieces from those figures being used for other lines/waves of figures? I don't mean the fireballs that were reused in the Spiderman box set, but the others such as Talbain's wolfhead or Guile's hair.

With the success of the first BSG mates (and presumedly next waves as well!) has there been any progress on finally releasing those "mini-flyer" vipers and raiders that we saw a while back?

Have anything new on that "Lab-coat Baltar" exclusive?

How long do you forsee the BSG line/license going?

Seperate yet somewhat related: Any new news on incorporating "classic BSG" into the near-future releases? Box-sets would be a logical and welcome choice.

Thanks for all your hard work!

hello, i have three questions:

1) Does the licenses for shows like BSG also cover the "expanded universe" of the show? What i mean is characters only found in the comic books, novels or video games based on the shows or movies.

2) Is there going to be a new Mary Jane minimate made in the near future? I love the way the movie one looks, but the first one is a bit dated. Please give us a new comic Mary Jane, possibly the one from Spider-Man loves Mary Jane. More specifically the cover of Mary Jane #2.

3) Every now and then the guys at AA seem to try new things for minimates (i.e. C3 playsets and the minimates max line). Is there anything "experimental" like these on the horizon?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Edited by pickle

1 - With the merger, will we see Buffy and Angel mini-mates? There are just soooo many good characters.

2 - Future thoughts, are there any thoughts on acquiring the rights to the Bond movies or the Xena Warrior Princess TV series? I just think there would be some awesome minimates with all the villians and girls from Bond and all the mythical creatures and characters from Xena.

Will there ever be a villains wave of minimates?

With the up and coming Iron Man movie, will we see some enemies for our favorite tin can?

Will Star Trek wave four enter into the Next Generation?

You guys rule as always. I'm glad you take the time to answer our questions.

Live Long and Prosper

Thanks for your time!

For the DC Direct waves, we saw Green Lantern with Star Sapphire and Aquaman with Ocean Master. I thought these were fairly odd pairings, because I would think Green Lantern's most well-known villian is Sinestro and Aquaman's is arguably Black Manta. Will we be seeing these two big baddies any time soon? Or could this hint at a Legion of Doom set?

Thanks for your time!

For the DC Direct waves, we saw Green Lantern with Star Sapphire and Aquaman with Ocean Master. I thought these were fairly odd pairings, because I would think Green Lantern's most well-known villian is Sinestro and Aquaman's is arguably Black Manta. Will we be seeing these two big baddies any time soon? Or could this hint at a Legion of Doom set?

:blink: You didn't read the first post did you? <_<

DCD mates are NOT anything to do with DST ( except maybe now there is the AA design link).

Chuck will blow you off with something along the lines of "I dont know ask DCD".

FOLKS please read the 'rules' before posting as it saves everyone some time :)

T.

I was just teasing pickle (and MM) - I mispell stuf al th tine. B)

No worries Fujis. I need people to help me with my spelling. It's the only way I'll lern :blink: ...lerrn :blink: ...leaarn :blink: ...learn :biggrin: !

Not necessarily a DC question - it just looks like one :)

Will DST have any input into the DC minimates now that they own Art Asylum?

How does that relationship now work? (in other words, does DCD just interact directly with Art Asylum or go throughyou first)

Now that a zombie Giant Man and Wasp (kinda) are coming out, are we likely to see still-living versions?

Have you made the Wasp already and she's just too small to see?

Will we see more Ultimate versions of characters? I'm thinking mostly of ones I'd like to see, such as Iron Man, Thor andRhino

Thanks again,

Jo

Yo, thanks for you rime.

1) There are 2 things all collectors seem to agree on: More girls and more bad guys. BSG has totally done this (especially with the females!), and I just want to send a million thanks yous your way. Is there any chance of seeing a villain wave or an all girl wave for Marvel?

2) No doubt Marvel is Minimate's poster child. BSG is also wildly popular. SF has a small yet deadly fanbase, it just couldn't make it in the open market. My question is, why the other lines? If Street Fighter barely(?) made it, why the choice to do lines like Rocky, BttF and 24? I've never even heard of 24! Or was the decision to do these lines based on the fact that they will be small releases of figures without any plans to continue the lines?

3) I know yall get 'can you make so-n-so' till yall just want to strangle the person. However, I have a thought. I think yall should look into Image comics, specifically, Invincible. It is one of the best comics in print right now, without any plans for collectibles at all. Image is small enough that it might be an easier sell, and they could actually put ads in their books. Either way, I just want an Invincible Minimate. (and here I go asking for characters again. Strangle away)

4) Along the same line of questioning, I know yall have said you have no plans on the return on IndyMates. Would that constitute a box set such as what we had before, or is there a chance on a regular wave such as Marvel's Comic Heroes line? Is there a chance on seeing cross license packs, such as Wolverine Vs Witchblade, Gambit Vs Laura Croft? (I figure the answer is not but I thought I'd ask)

5) Is there any way you can get the GI Joe license? Blackmail works wonders. :P

6) Now that DST and AA have merged ala God Fire Convoy style, how does the relationship with DCD work? We've noticed a few parts being reused here and there, and there are also some now DCD parts that I'd love to see go the other way too. Are yall now capable of strong arming them into making 2" minis only?

7) Another question entirely would be if you could, would you? Simply for conformity's sake?

7) There's been a lot of movie waves in the Marvel wave. Do those generally sell as well as regular "comic book" waves?

Danka

Um, just wondering, but wouldn't this normally go in the Ask DST section?

Um, just wondering, but wouldn't this normally go in the Ask DST section?

I'm guessing that it will be moved once the questions have been sent. Having this thread at the root forum makes it more visible.

dureing the NY toy fair we saw that there was a minimate poster for the silence of the lambs. has there been any plans for makeing them into minimates or was it just a poster? -thanks

Hi Chuck,

Just one question for now, I'll be at SDCC bugging you with all the others in person... :)

Are you going to fix the upside down viper patch from series 1 minimate flight suits for Boomer in Series 2?

T.

p.s. ok one more question, can I have a preview of the 'tasks list' for the 'hunt' at SDCC early so I can make sure I win? ;) ( Yes I'm joking!)