UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DST Q&A #3 Answers

Shanester

DST Q & A #3

You will forget asks:

We saw pictures of BSG Kalee from Toy Fair, but her name hasn't appeared in the assortments so far - is this an oversight or is she planned for a later wave or exclusive?

DSTChuck: She was shown at Toy Fair as a potential exclusive, so far there have been no takers.

Also, President Roslyn and Zarek - it was hinted that they may be exclusives. Any news?

DSTChuck: Same deal as Kalee

When's the Deadpool mini coming?

DSTChuck: He is currently not on the schedule.

Drgnrbrn316 asks:

Are the posters that were displayed at Toy Fair indicative of new licenses for the Minimate Universe?

DSTChuck: Most of them are licenses we do in fact hold, however that does NOT mean we will make Minimates for all of them.

Will products like BSG, Star Trek, etc see a mass market release in some form, like the Marvel 4-packs at TRU and the 2-packs at Target, or are they geared more towards a specialty market?

DSTChuck: Our sales guys will always give it a try but I doubt they will have much luck with BSG or Trek.

Any updates on the fate of Street Fighter?

DSTChuck: Its not looking good.

Is there any chance for a non-battle-damaged version of the New Avengers Spider-Man?

DSTChuck: Never say never where Spidey is concerned.

Luke314pi asks:

Does your Back to the Future license include vehicles? A mini Delorean would be awesome...

DSTChuck: In theory we can make them but we have no plans.

Reideen1313 asks:

Do you ever have extra/left over con blanks?

If so, what do you do with them?

DSTChuck: Sometimes we do and we just kind of save them for things that come up – like this Target promotion we’re running with AA right now.

Neolego asks:

Have you ever thought about or what are the chances of no more variants?

DSTChuck: Variants will continue.

Can you give us more info on 24? Anything at all??

DSTChuck: Like what – it’s a cool show and we all like to watch it?? IF you mean product we’re doing, we’re planning a series of box sets based on each season with possible exclusive two packs to round out the seasons.

What are you pushing toward Mass Market?

DSTChuck: Whatever they will buy.

Where are the Vehicles?

-First we see the BSG ships scraped and then we see Marty without the Deloreon and don't even get me started on my Goblin Glider again. So, what are our chances of seeing any of those vehicles from BSG?

DSTChuck: AA tried for two years to get buyers lined up for the BSG ships and had no luck so I don’t think the chances are good.

Do you hate the Ultimate Universe?

-Honestly, I think it's time you came clean. Ok, maybe that's a bit extreme, but I do think you aren't fair to the Ultimate fans. What have we got, Ultimate Spiderman and Ultimate Green Goblin and the Early Ultimate X-Men. That's it. While, I'm glad we got those, the most popular of the Ultimate Family are the "Ultimates" and we have nothing. Ultimate Iron Man and Ultimate Thor are 2 of the best designs in Marvel Comics - Period. Is there any chance we are going to see some more Ultimate figures in the future or maybe an "Ultimates Boxed Set" or something?

DSTChuck: How can you say we hate the Ultimate Universe – can you name another company that has done as much product as we have based on those books?

Aapje asks:

Are you guys ever re-releasing the Iron Fist/Powerman pack? Maybe as a target exclusive?

DSTChuck: We have no plans to re-issue that two pack.

Mini Myte asks:

Hey Chuck, how come you are so unwilling to let the fans have their say and let them choose a Marvel Minimate to be made in a future wave or even a convention exclusive?

DSTChuck: I wouldn’t say it like that, the number of fans on the internet and the number of fans that vote in polls is a small sampling of the fan base for an item, so isn’t it fair to say. “Why would a small group of fans think they can speak for fans everywhere?” The reason we don’t do many fans polls is there are many factors involved in deciding which character we can make so there is no real way to let a vote by a small select group make a decision that overreaches many different aspects of the line.

From the info I've gathered here at the MMMV website, it would appear that Marvel Minimates series 15, 16, 17 & 18 are all coming out in June. Is this accurate? If not, could you shed a little light and tell us roughly which series will be release on what month?

DSTChuck: They will not be all out in June, we’re re-working the release dates with the factory right now and should be able to give accurate dates for most of the existing projects very soon.

MiniRob asks:

Any Chance of seeing Minimates Based on Professional Wrestlers?

DSTChuck: I don’t think so, many years ago we approached WWE but the category was not available.

You mentioned it takes 9 months to do a Mini, I find that hard to understand seeing you have the design laid out for you already, Why does it take so long? No offence.

DSTChuck: Actually I think the team would take offense with that- they all do the best job they can and I judging from your question I can say the process is mush more complicated then you imagine.

TBT! Asks:

Hi Chuck, as always thanks for playing along. My question is more of an observation I'd like you to comment on.

WWLA got a preview S3 set as it's exclusive. Now the timescales imply that series 17&18 are going to be released before/around SDCC, so the S3 exclusive will be kind of redundant by then. I would imagine you'd prefer to have an exclusive at a major event like SDCC rather than the tiny insignificant WWLA, so does this mean we should 'hope for' a different exclusive at SDCC? *Cough* Roslyn/Zarek*cough*

DSTChuck: It would be kind of silly to debut the SM3 line in July if the movie opened in May but yes we are doing a SDCC exclusive MM.

Rad asks:

Hey Chuck. Following on from the last Q&A regarding Customer Service... I e-mailed CS about my Sentry variant breaking at the t-piece and got a reply saying something along the lines of 'sorry to hear that, but we're sold out'. Er... That's it. It's not just me that's been affected by spotty customer service. There's been lots of grumbles on this board lately particularly in this thread Are you happy with DST's customer service? I know you can't please all the people all of the time but from comments on the board it looks like only a very small amount of people are getting satisfaction from CS.

DSTChuck: Well I expect my crew to give the best CS humanly possible and anything short of that I am disappointed, however I have from time to time been made aware of threads on the wed about CS and often when I look into the situations, what is reported on the web is not 100% accurate its just one side of the story and a biased one at that. We’re not perfect and I am sure they make mistakes and for those I am sorry and in some cases a customer might need a replacement that we have run out of but they should do the best they can to work with a customer to make then as satisfied as possible.

Lobsterman asks:

1) how do you determine how many new pieces versus reused pieces will go into a wave? For example, the Thor/Loki pack is obviously a big upfront expense with new accessories, chest piece and helmet (which, I assume, won't be terribly useful for any other characters). Conversely, Wonderman and She Hulk are composed entirely of reused pieces from existing molds. Are the decisions made on a pack-level like this, or on a wave-level (i.e., such-and-such wave will get 15 new sculpts, designer's discretion where to use them). Is it by weight of plastic? Sculpting difficulty?

DSTChuck: Good question and I wish I could get into it all here but it would be too long to type. Basically each line gets a budget and that includes, paint, tampo and tooling so we have to find the best way to “spend” that budget – just like you do with your household budget.

2)

2) Do the licensors retain ownership of the molds, or are they yours? For example, could you use molds made for Green Arrow's bow and quiver to do a Hawkeye mate, or would DC have the power to nix that and make you create new sculpts for a Marvel product? I can't recall off the top of my head seeing pieces from Marvel mates used in the prototypes for any other line; is that a pure design decision or is influenced by licensors?

Thanks for indulging my curiosity...and keep up the great work!

DSTChuck: Ownership is kind of a complicated legal thing but it might be possible to cross over parts if we needed but in most cases it wouldn’t be worth it unless it was a big piece, we needed a ton of them OR we ran out of room in a tool we planned for a series and HAD to have that piece.

Newaddict asks:

First of all let me say thanks for doing this. I really appreciate all the time taken to help share information with us fans.

DSTChuck: Hey no problem thanks for caring enough to ask questions and red stuff like this.

As to my questions, just one really: since there seem to be quite a few "boxed sets" on the horizon this year, I was curious if this format lends itself to (1) comic teams that might not be front runners for the regular wave releases (such as the Young Avengers, the Runaways, the Exiles, etc.) and (2) movie/TV properties like Firefly (Serenity), Fifth Element, Buffy and Angel, etc. I know it's hard to comment on specifics, but in a general sense are releases such as these more likely in a boxed set format?

DSTChuck: We think the boxed sets work really well for some TV shows or movies that fans might not want to build a big collection and just want a single purchase – kind of a get in and get out line for a casual collector.

Anway, thanks again for your time and the wonderfully addictive product you supply us with.

Shanester asks:

Any chance we will see Hulk and/or Iron Man minimates based on the upcoming movies?

DSTChuck: We don’t currently have rights to those movies but you never know..

Murderofcrows asks:

Have we seen all of the (dst) minimates that will be sold this year, or are there more to be revealed this year?

DSTChuck: I think we’ll sneak more out there.

Energy-Man asks:

is there any chance for captain america minimates, since the movie is comin out in 2008 or 2009??

DSTChuck: Cap would always be on our short list but we’ll have to see how a potential movie progresses before we decide to make a large commitment.

Kirby asks:

What's it gonna take to get another wave of Street Fighter minimates? There have been a couple of announcements regarding a new movie, and the speculation about a new game is growing - are we just going to have to wait for these things to occur, or should some bribery and/or corporate sabotage take place?

DSTChuck: I think of fans had run out and bought all the series 1 that were out there that would have made the biggest impact.

How do you feel about the J-hooks?

DSTChuck: I think they are cute.

I love my battle-damage. I guess that's not a question. Any likelihood for a super-battle-damaged-sniper-bullet-in-the-back Captain America?

DSTChuck: Chances are pretty close to zero.

Will you guys ever come up here to the greater Pacific Northwest (just the Washington part) for our Emerald City Comic Con. We have quality coffees and beers - you can't go wrong!

DSTChuck: Sorry for now its not on our show schedule.

A couple of years ago, there was some stuff for SDCC with stickers "I'm a Radical, Ask me how." What was the right answer? I got a t-shirt, but I have never really felt closure on the matter. Thanks Chuck.

DSTChuck: You should have asked at the show – why wait so long… You don’t even know what you missed out on.

Skids asks:

Hi, first time Asker here! Will the Zombie mates be a small release because of the subject matter, or will they be a wider release? Like target or TRU releases? I ask because it can hard for me to find mates at my LCS sometimes, and I don't want these Zombie mates to be too hard to get my hands on! Or is Zombie info still hush-hush?

DSTChuck: I can’t see Target or TRU wanting these on their shelves.

Zombieboyfiend asks:

Any chance of the Target rotating 2 packs (GSXM specifically) going to make another go around?

DSTChuck: That’s up to Target

Any chance for our next Spider-Man minimate that it could be the Cosmic Spider-Man?

DSTChuck: He’s been on our list for a while, we’ll just have to see if it works out for him.

Bizklimkit asks:

I want a job designing minimates. Point me in the right direction

DSTChuck: Email the AA website.

Is there any minimate that was made that you just hated the way it looked? Or one that you liked at the time and don't care much for now?

DSTChuck: I’m not a big fan of the MJ hair.

Blacksun1520 asks:

Hey Chuck, will the SM3 mates be availabe at mass market retailers, or are these going to be specialty shop only? Also, I know the classic spiderman line is going to be at Target, but will the box set with Hydroman be availabe in the store? Thanks !!

DSTChuck: The classic box set will only be in specialty, for SM3 our sales guys have pitched out so we’ll have to see how they do.

Amazing.JL asks:

1.) Thanks for making the SM3 Exclusive Preview pack available on-line for those unable to attend WWLA. Can we expect more of these offerings/opportunities?

DSTChuck: If the opportunity works out – sure.

2.)

2.) Since Bug(From the Micronauts) is now more active in the Marvel Universe, is there a chance we can see him in minimate form?

DSTChuck: No plans for a Bug MM

3.)

3.) Are there any non-mainstream Marvel characters that you have considered producing into minimates? If so, which ones have come close to making the cut?

DSTChuck: We’ve done some already odd ones so you never know!

4.)

4.) In the last issue of DST Spectrum concept art of a Dr. Strange minimate was revealed to be part of a box set. Can you confirm that the remaining three minimates in the set will be new never made characters? If no, how many will be new? Will this box set be The Defenders?

DSTChuck: You will all see soon enough.

5.)

5.) Have you/would you consider the Robotech property?

DSTChuck: It’s a great property but not one we’re considering for MM.

6.)

6.) Have you/would you consider the Movie/Comic 300 property?

DSTChuck: That’s another cool property but rights are not currently available.

7.)

7.) What are the chances of seeing a third wave of Spider-man 3 minimates down the road?

DSTChuck: I think slim, this looks like a 2 and done line.

8.)

8.) Will we ever see a Movie Green Goblin/Doc Ock?

DSTChuck: WE don’t have rights to the first two movies.

9.)

9.) What's the reasoning of soliciting SM3 Waves 17/18 without actual pictures of the mates? I noticed that some did not want to order pre-order them without seeing them, but changed their stance once you revealed pics of both waves. By the way I love them!

DSTChuck: At the time the ad ran Sony did not allow us to show product.

10.)

10.) No Battle-Damaged Spider-man was revealed although it is announced as part of the line-up. Are we to still expect this minimate will be made or has it been replaced by the unmasked new green goblin which we saw pics of?

DSTChuck: We showed several possible exclusives for SM# and all of those may not end up being produced.

11.)

11.) A big chest Black Suit Spider-Man was revealed instead of the regular black suit Spider-man from the preview pack. Which version are we to expect?

DSTChuck: We are still planning a big chest black suit figure as of now.

12.) Will both minimates from the preview pack be incorporated into the regular wave releases. I assume so, but just wanted to make sure.

12.) SDTChuck: YES BUT not in that EXACT look.

Gillbob316 asks:

1) Semi-hypothetical, long-term, long-winded question: I'm a huge X-Men fan, let me say 1st. That said, my favorite mates are always new, previously unproduced X-Men faces. Your Cables & Bishops. Rogues & Icemans. Shadowcats & Beasts. That said, I figure a time will come when you start to run thin on popular unproduced new X-Men faces, who don't have mates already. Basically now, we're down to Gambit, Psylocke and Archangel. Then Maybe Jubilee... Havok... Polaris... double maybe for Dazzler and Longshot, but even that's pushing it. But beyond those guys, you start treading the line into the B-List territory... Banshee, Marrow, Sage, Cannonball, Sunfire, Maggott, Stacy-X. My question is, lets assume, and hope, that the marvel minimates line goes on for another 100 years. Once you've dried up all the A-listers (like the 1st few names I mentioned) and done so many non X-Men series that you just NEED to do a new set of X-Men, do characters like Marrow have any hope in the world? Or do the old classics just keep getting recycled into new versions forever and ever?

DSTChuck: Boy we’ll all be happy if the line goes on that long, your lips to Targets ears! Sure man there is NO ONE we’ve said we’ll NEVER make.

2) Since you've done comic book mates for quite a while, and are now doing a handful of TV ones like BSG and 24, I thought I'd combine the two concepts, and I'd pitch you the stupidest great idea I ever had... "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" minimates. I want mini Fat Mommas and Monkey Women littering my desk, and I know quite a few folks who wouldn't mind a mini Major Victory. Dark Enforcer could be Iron Enforcer's variant! Stan Lee could be a con exclusive! I don't know how familiar you were with the show when it was on regularly last year, but what are the (probably astronomically low) odds this would ever happen?

DSTChuck: I think we’ll skip that one, sorry.

PS. Wacky side-question: I attend Wizard World Chicago every year, and from these Q&A's, I get the impression you usually do too. I usually hit the diamond booth and buy a buncha mates, and there's usually a handful of guys I recognize as the same people every year manning it. I imagine one is probably you, and that we've actually met a few times as I purchased your wares, but I don't know which one. Which guy are you? Ya'll should invest in some name tags. (PS. I'm aware I could always ask at the con, but I, like many comic-book-con goers, am a socially-inept hermit, who doesn't engage in extensive conversation with strangers unless it's absolutely necessary... I'm also burned by the sun...)

DSTChuck: I go to as many shows as I can and talk to fans and answer as many questions as I can so just ask for me HOEVER I ALWAYS have a bade on me with my name if I am there so you all can spot me….I’ve been to WWC in the past but not last year.

PS2. Thank for answering these fan questions for us geeks, and my apologies on the length of mine.

DSTChuck: No sweat I only do these because I want to so its not a problem.

New Batman asks:

DST, im not sure if this has been asked but, do you have the license to do stargate minimates? are you able to make minimates from both Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis? is this possable? thanks.

DSTChuck: We have no plans right now for Stargate MM.

Aquaman asks:

Everyone's waiting for an Angel minimate. If the X3 Movie wave sells well, would we see a follow-up wave, and would Angel be a figure in it?

DSTChuck: We have not decided anything like “we’ll never do Angel” so you never know.

XManRCJ asks:

What's the likelyhood of a Black Panther/Modern Storm minimate pack?

DSTChuck: Cool idea to go with the wedding but no plans for such a two pack.

Any desire to do any of the current members of X-Factor? Just think of all the variant Multiple Men you could get away with.

DSTchuck: That would be fin but nah no plans.

We know you love Spidey, so what did you think of all the Ultimate Clone Saga clones? Personally the Ultimate Spider-Woman looks cool.

DSTChuck: Anything with Spidey gets a good look at for apossible, figure, MM or statue I PROMISE.

You did a New Avengers wave, so is it possible we'll get to see the Mighty Avengers, along with an updated Herr Stark?

DSTChuck: No plans.

As far as X-Villains, it seems like we've only gotten a few. Any chances of getting some more, like Mr Sinster, Calisto, Apocalypse, Toad, Exodus, Bastion, etc...or does DST want to keep more a heroic balance on the sets?

DSTChuck: No plans right now for any of the above.

Any Rise of the Silver Surfer plans (with minimates)?

DSTChuck: We do not currently have the rights to FF2 movie.

THANKS MUCH TO MATT & CHUCK AT DST!!!!