UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

My Rookie Custom Jobs

Like TBT, I'm impressed with the metallic ones, and would like to see more in the future. For your first attempts they look good. Everyone starts somewhere and with each additional custom you work on you learn and develop new skills/understanding/ideas which help with the customs that come afterward. I know that when I started customizing minimates, I'd already tried my hand at customizing many different types of figures over the years. When I look back on some of my earliest, yes it's true they were rough and in no way compare to what I do now, yet I'm proud of taking those first steps and I wouldn't be where I am today had I not taken those first steps. Enjoy these first steps and learn from them. And remember, it's about the journey, not the destination. Take your time and enjoy the process.

Personally I use Acrylic paint. I use either Games Workshop paints or Testors Acrylics mostly. As to the fine detail, I learned the toothpick technique on this very board. That and extra fine point permanent markers work well for things too small to paint. I know more than a few people here also use water slide decals which they print off themselves.

Acrylics are the way to go. Enamel paints won't dry on the softer plastic parts of the Minis...

Nice work on your customs.

My favorite? Hands down, the Daredevil with "Daredevil" across his chest. Great idea.

Keep them coming.

I too am digging the metallic mates. How'd you make them?

Definitely not bad work for a first-timer.

My first custom looked something like this:

DogPoop102.jpg

With lots of hard work and years of practice, I can now create works of art like this:

DogPoopGoldweb1.jpg

Yeah, great job for your first attempts! Keep it up! And can you tell me what type of gold paint you used? I think I might just whip myself up a custom Gold Spidey...

Fujis,

I bought the Testor's enamel paint kit from Michaels. It came with that gold. I agee it looks really good. I used Krylon spray primer first before I painted it.

P.S. I lied just now...

OK, my girlfriend has been nagging me about the whole, "you are a grown man painting toys, blah, blah...". So, I got her to help me on 1 custom, and now she is all in it! She painted it, and I am now less of a man for sharing this...

WW4M

Damn that's a little harsh.

I think they're friends in that big ol' "real world" that is three feet from the chair I sit on. So it's like a joke.