UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Where are the I, Robot Minimates?

Wasn't there mention of them at one of the recent toy shows? I know we've never seen any control art or anything in the minimate style, only the very early art for a rival brand. I think these could actually be cool, and definitely an instance where army building would both easy and fun. I'd buy these over DSS any day.

• 1 month later...
I'd like to think it'll end up in "what were we thinking!?" limbo with (hopefully) Desperately Seeking Susan.

The DSS was just a poster in 'Mate style. They did a bunch of those (yes, Back to the Future and Spider-Man 3 are being made, but still,) I don't remember ever hearing about actual 'Mates...

Chuck said in one of the recent Q&As that not all of the posters shown would be translated into actual mates.

Are the posters that were displayed at Toy Fair indicative of new licenses for the Minimate Universe?

DSTChuck: Most of them are licenses we do in fact hold, however that does NOT mean we will make Minimates for all of them.

Where are you! I, Robot mates!

On the clouds of your imagination, just like LOTR wave 3, Street Fighter wave 2, and Buffy PALz season 3.

I'm surprised this still comes up. It's been almost 3 years to the day since this movie came out. Now, I know that MiniMates are known for coming out well after a movie's been in theaters, but 3 years?

I'm surprised this still comes up. It's been almost 3 years to the day since this movie came out. Now, I know that MiniMates are known for coming out well after a movie's been in theaters, but 3 years?

Agreed. I imagine they couldn't find the interest and this idea has been placed delicately on a shelf to never be spoken of again. It woulda been cool to see the cars and robots and what not, but they don't rerun I, Robot on TBS enough anymore.

I think the point has been missed that this is less a case of "What licenses can we get?" and more a case of "How can we use the licenses we have" situation, as these aren't the only I, Robot products Popbox are making.

• 2 months later...

Well, at the bottom of the Pop Box site says "AVAILABLE 4TH QTR 2007." I don't put a lot of faith in that of course. It used to say "AVAILABLE FROM JULY 2007 ONWARD" and "AVAILABLE FROM MAY 2007 ONWARD." Not to mention that the other products on their homepage have seen the same rolling availability dates.

On the plus side, a few of those products are now available. But I do not trust to hope. It has forsaken these lands.

Just sent them an email letting them know there is still interest in the line and asking for an update.

Keep in mind, many times, companies are reluctant to say what's going on with a line so we may just get a 'we're still working on the line you'll see more soon' type of response. Best response (and most honest/helpful) I ever got when I did something like this was when I emailed Bandai about the proposed Big O line shown at (IIRC) the 2004 Toy Fair. They came right out and told me due to a lack of interest the line had been canceled. I was disappointed but at least I knew I didn't have to keep looking for them to come out.

I'll post here if I get a response.

Just sent them an email letting them know there is still interest in the line and asking for an update.

Keep in mind, many times, companies are reluctant to say what's going on with a line so we may just get a 'we're still working on the line you'll see more soon' type of response. Best response (and most honest/helpful) I ever got when I did something like this was when I emailed Bandai about the proposed Big O line shown at (IIRC) the 2004 Toy Fair. They came right out and told me due to a lack of interest the line had been canceled. I was disappointed but at least I knew I didn't have to keep looking for them to come out.

A Big O line? Dammit, now I'm disappointed. Any pics available?

A Big O line? Dammit, now I'm disappointed. Any pics available?

I had them - on a long dead pc.... (they were from 2003 btw - not 2004 like I said above.)

All I can find of them now is this old write up from RTM

The Big O

Bandai introduces The Big O, a stylish Japanese anime series that combines evil and mystery in Paradigm City. A dashing character, Roger Smith confronts evil with his loyal butler Norman, an android named Dorothy, and a giant robot known only as The Big O. The line will feature 6-inch collectable figures, as well as a mega-size figure that stand 12-inches tall with various features from head to toe, including lights, talking, arm cannons and missile launchers.

• 4 weeks later...

I liked Big O, until Season 2 anyway. I think Season 2 was punishment for the atomic bomb, but that's just my opinion.

As far as I, Robot goes, considering we've heard next to nothing about these, I fear that they'll find room on the shelf next to Kellogg's minimates, Speed Racer wave 2, Street Fighter wave 2, and Lord of the Rings wave 3. Looks good on paper, but didn't pan out in production.

Still, of all the projects that have been put on hold indefinitely, these were one that would have been nice to make it past the drawing board.

As far as I, Robot goes, considering we've heard next to nothing about these, I fear that they'll find room on the shelf next to Kellogg's minimates, Speed Racer wave 2, Street Fighter wave 2, and Lord of the Rings wave 3. Looks good on paper, but didn't pan out in production.

I fear you are right my guess is that they did not make it through the AA DST merger.

• 1 month later...