UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

dc superheroes

i heard about the wave 4 of dc superheroes, and i now wnat to start collecting these

i only have superman, bizzaro, and brainac

does any body have some of these to get rid of or trade?

also does anybody know of a check list of all the figures and variations (because theres tons)?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i heard about the wave 4 of dc superheroes, and i now wnat to start collecting these

i only have superman, bizzaro, and brainac

does any body have some of these to get rid of or trade?

also does anybody know of a check list of all the figures and variations (because theres tons)?

i don't think there are that many... apparently wave six just came out... there are others announced, but i haven't actually SEEN wave five or six in stores yet... so who knows how well these are doing.

Superman and Bizzaro were actually from wave 2 so those are repacks/repaints of the exact same figures... wave four was another superman, Brainiac, Lex Luthor in his purple/green armor, and Darkseid.

Somewhere around wave four-ish, they also released a future Superman (with the black/red S-shield) and a dark-colors Supergirl... but other than the repaints, they're the same figures from wave two.

Honestly... i kinda wish i'd passed on these. all but one or two toys were repacks or repaints from other DC Heroes lines. They're ridiculously poor quality plastic (i've got a 50% rate of breakage from attempting to *move any given joint*). The posability is erratic and often pretty bad (killer croc, is "articulated" like an old Kenner Star Wars figure. :( )... and some of the sclupts are pretty awful... the Batman from wave-one is kindof hunched over, and his neck is a cut-joint instead of a ball-socket... so he is always looking down no matter what. which totally drives me crazy.

the quality control for these was just... horrible. Superman was totally worth it, because there hadn't really been a good semi-poseable supey before... but overall, my advice is to pick your favorites, and don't worry about trying to collect them all. (i'm listing problems with my figures next to'em... stuff to watch out for)

Wave One:

Batman

Killer Croc (left arm broke when trying to move it, feet are sculpted so poorly the figure does not stand on it's own.)

Scarecrow (poor plastic joints won't support the weight of the figure)

Bane (waist-joint snapped, seem in chest came UNGLUED! knee-pins came out/broke!... totally broken and unplayable)

Wave Two:

Superman

Bizzaro

Doomsday (two joints are painted shut)

Supergirl (ankle pin-joints are broken, pin too soft for the weight of the figure when displayed apparently.)

Wave Three:

Batman (based on Jim Lee's "hush" i think)

Robin (neck joint painted shut. also unposeable)

Mr. Freeze

Azrael (one arm came off when i moved the joint, had to be glued)

Wave Four:

Superman

Lex Luthor (joints won't support his weight)

Brainiac (both arms can't be moved due to impending breakage and paint-goo)

Darkseid (left arm painted shut)

Wave Five:

Modern Supergirl

Steel

Parasite

Wave Six:

Cyborg Superman

Kal-el

Mongul

Black costume Superman

Varients:

Bane with a Teddybear

Black/Red S-shield Superman

black/Red outfit Supergirl

Red Doomsday

Steel (with vac-metallized emblem)

Darksied Repaint

Bizzaro Purple repaint

in Target Two-packs you can get

Clark Kent (with wave two superman)

Batgirl (with wave three batman)

supposedly still on the way are:

Batgirl (cassandra cain)

Two-face

Clayface

Manbat

and the Joker

if you want these would you mind selling or trading or even giving these away to me?

thanks for all the help though, i now realize that most of them are just repaints

I've only got the first four waves... and to be honest, the ones that *aren't* broken... i do really like (superman, bizzaro, Batman despite being a re-release of the signal-batman, etc...).

i've actually seen most of the first four waves on eBay for pretty reasonable prices. I think i got a complete set of wave four for $30 (and Doomsday was a one-per every OTHER case chase-figure. so that was nice)... you may have decent luck checking there.

im not trying to pawn these off of you, but it seems that,doomsday,lex luthor, darkseid, parasite, and cyborg superman, seem good enough for me to have, based on your comments

would you like to get rid of those?

im not trying to pawn these off of you, but it seems that,doomsday,lex luthor, darkseid, parasite, and cyborg superman, seem good enough for me to have, based on your comments

Doomsday, Lex and Big-D aren't broken enough to make me want to part with'em (and i'm hoping to be able to reinforce Lex's joints somehow and "correct" Darkseid)... and i don't own Parasite or Cyborg (being from waves 5 and 6).

i wish you luck though!

Doomsday, Lex and Big-D aren't broken enough to make me want to part with'em (and i'm hoping to be able to reinforce Lex's joints somehow and "correct" Darkseid)... and i don't own Parasite or Cyborg (being from waves 5 and 6).

i wish you luck though!

oh ok, are there ANY you want to part with, if there arent, its fine

I think Templar is probably trying to warn you about the poor quality he's seen in these figures rather than presenting a list of figures he wants to get rid of/trade.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I'm going to pick up the DC universe 6" line when it comes out, but I want to pad out the collectin with a few of the Superman nad Batman figures.

Does anyone know if there is a definintive list up with pictures? I've had a quick look, but haven't found much so far.

Thanks if you can find me one.

Jo

armed with what they're called, and the descriptions of the variants, it shouldn't be too difficult to track down images of the figures you're after.

just be super careful with'em... the quality on those figures was really, really poor. i had no end of problems with them.

Hmm.... might not be complete, but all I can come up with off the top of my head.

Batman - multiple versions. There are two 'classic' styles - blue & grey and black & grey. (Knight Strike, Ninja and Deep Sea Dive Batman repaints/resculpts are some of the variations clogging the pegs from the comic line - these are what led to the line's initial death at retail. Batsignal Batman was an overseas only release, and one of the best versions of the character in the line - again, highly sought after in the secondary market.)

Bruce Wayne - originally as part of Mattel's 1st attempt at the Batman license in the comic line, it is now being reissued as part of DCSH wave 7.

Robin - all versions are the same, just repainted different colors.

Batgirl - Barbara Gordon - only available in the Target exclusive 2 pack with a blue & grey pouch utility belt Batman

Joker - again, lots of repaints, all the same sculpt.

Killer Croc - same story, repaints same character sculpt.

Freeze - a couple of verisons. Mostly only differ based on repaint, although the newer release added some minor sculpt and articulation changes. If you leave stuff in package or only take em out and pose em once, you won't notice a difference betweeen one version and the next.

Batgirl 2 - Cassie Cain - very limited release - uses the same body with different paint and a new head for this version of the character.

Two Face - again, very limited release, uses the Clark Kent body with a new head.

Man Bat - 2007 Con exclusive

Scarecrow initially released overseas only, it was re-released in the DCSH line wave 1

Bane (multiple variants, all repaints) another overseas release, also re-released in DCSH wave 1

Nightwing - originally released as part of the comic line in a 2 pack, it is rumored to be re-released soon in the DCSH line.

Azrael - 2 versions exist, mostly color variants IIRC. I've only seen one of these at retail and it is a highly sought after fig on the secondary market.

Superman - several versions exist with articulation and sculpt getting better with each one IMO. Personally I have the Alex Ross-esque Superman with the re3d & black "S" - works for me.

Kal El - battle suit Superman

Parasite

Doomsday - standard and lava orange repaint

Bizarro - 3 versions exist one with the axel accessory, one with a black Bizarro #1 necklace, and one with a silver Bizarro #1 necklace. Originally released in the same red & blue colors as Superman, the black necklace version was repainted to the purple animated-ish colors. IIRC the silver necklace is the classic red n blue scheme.

Darkseid - 2 color variants, one blue outfit, one black outfit.

Clark Kent - Target 2 pack exclusive

Braniac - crisis-esque robot form.

Mongul

Steel - 2 variants, chrome & non chromed emblem

Cyborg Superman - apparently this one came out via Big Lots stores. Don't think it was an exclusive, just where it happened to show up.

Lex Luthor

Supergirl - multiple repaints exist, also a new headsculpt was released

That's all I've got off the top of my head. Sorry - no pics, but I'm sure if you google them, you'll see plenty of examples. Hope it helps.

Thanks guys.

I'm trying to be careful with what I pick up - I can go the completist route WWWAAAAYYY too easily if I'm not careful, and I just don't need more than one batman or superman.

I have Cassie - picked her up at my LCS last week, and have a Darkseid and Mongul on the way. I'm trying to decide how far to go - it would be nice to get a good rogues gallery, but I'm a little "meh" over the Joker and Two-face sculpts. Plus when Universe comes out, I don't want the display too swamped with Batman stuff.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Thanks for the list, I'll go hunt for pictures

Jo

• 8 months later...

Not quite a bump, but I wanted to bring this forward a little.

I've been buying these by the case from Cornerstore comics. No problems at all so far, but with wave three coming up I find myself in a bit of a quandary. Whereas I wanted both Aquamen and didn't mind which Firestorm I got, I'm a lot more invested in the Wv3 characters and only want specific versions.

Basically, I want a Sinestro in the Sinestro Corps uniform and the masked Deathstroke.

Depending on what I get, is there anyone wanting the opposite? I'd prefer other Brits, just for speed and cost, but I'm happy to deal with anyone really. I have low standards :) Please feel free to post or PM.

How do people think the line is going so far anyway?

My favourites so far are Metamorpho, Red Tornado, Black Manta and Aquaman (both). I wasn't as keen on the Penguin, and I thought Grodd looked a little too calm (I'd have preferred an evil grin or a more angry look). I was looking forward to Harley, but she's just a little too spindly for my tastes, and the blue wash on her face is a little too heavy.

The two Supermen (red/blue) look surprisingly good together - I was expecting to feel much more "meh" towards them.

Jo

The sculpts are good - it's the paint apps that kill the line for me. I have yet to find a Red Tornado without sloppy red paint apps on the yellow bits of his costume. Little things like that will keep me from investing in a line like DCUC. As much as I enjoy some of the characters they're putting on the shelves (and kicking DCD's @ss by doing it I hope) if Mattel can't get their qualit in line, then I'm not putting my $$ behind the line. Not to mention the horrible distribution Mattel is constantly plagued with. I still haven't seen wave 2 at retail.

Poor paint apps and sh!tty distribution earns this line a "no sale" rating from me.

Mighty Muggs from Hasbro on the other hand.... :D Lord help me if I find the Indy Muggs.

I'm enjoying this line a lot. I guess I'm having the opposite luck as Reideen - I've had no problem find the figures I want at retail and got a Red Tornado with a good paint job.

I'm being selective about the line, though. I'm not buying every figure in the wave, just the figures/characters that I want - and that's why I love some of the character choices they've already made. Batman, Aquaman - not that appealing to me. But Red Tornado, Firestorm - those are figures I'll buy. And I love the Superman Red / Superman Blue figures.

And I really want a Metamorpho, but I'm resisting buying the Penguin figure just to get the last part I need. But it's hard....

I haven't seen Wave 2 at retail either and I'm getting a little anxious. I REALLY want Harley Quinn!

I swore that I was only going to buy the Batman characters. I had Batman and Penguin (with their respective Metamorpho parts) and a very generous mod from this board gave me the other BAF arm. Of course that made me run out & pick up Red Tornado and Orion just to get a complete BAF. I'm a sucker, what can I say?

From what I've read, Reideen, that is a red "wash" on the yellow parts & is supposed to be there. I'm with you though- it would've looked much better without it...

What really bothers me is that the birth of the DC Universe line killed the DC Superheroes line prematurely causing me to miss out on Batgirl (Cassandra Cain), Knight Shadow Batman & Two-Face. Luckily I was able to get a great deal on a Clayface, Nightwing, Catwoman, Batman (black & gray), Bruce Wayne & the Joker lot on eBay or I'd really be hating life! Still need Luthor & Doomsday too... <_<

Edited by handsomedevil

What really bothers me is that the birth of the DC Universe line killed the DC Superheroes line prematurely causing me to miss out on Batgirl (Cassandra Cain)

This is the version with the front of the mask sewn together and it's on a purple card, right? If so I found that version when I was on vacation in Baltimore and have never seen it anywhere down here...

What really bothers me is that the birth of the DC Universe line killed the DC Superheroes line prematurely causing me to miss out on Batgirl (Cassandra Cain), Knight Shadow Batman & Two-Face. Luckily I was able to get a great deal on a Clayface, Nightwing, Catwoman, Batman (black & gray), Bruce Wayne & the Joker lot on eBay or I'd really be hating life! Still need Luthor & Doomsday too... <_<

Mattel has heard from a lot of fans that missed out on the same figures, and they're trying to re-release them as much as they can. For example, the Knight Shadow Batman is for sale as an exclusive at most comic coventions this summer, and this fall TRU will have DC Super-Heroes two-packs, including a re-release of the Barbara Gordon Batgirl / Azrael figures.

Of course if Mattel could get their distribution problems figured out then they wouldn't have to do this, but I digress...

No idea if they'll re-release Luthor or Doomsday, though. My guess would be that we'll get a new version of Luthor (purple & green jumpsuit, maybe) and a new, larger build-a-figure Doomsday sometime down the road.

I managed to pick up a Luthor on sale here in the UK last week. He's purty. I'd love to see a suited version though.

Cassie I'm really fond of, but she has a similar problem to Harley in that she's just too spindly. I'm hoping Wonder Woman will at least look like she could lift a truck.

I'm looking forward to the Babs/Azrael pack - I wanted Azrael but couldn't find him.

And that's just reminded me - wave 5 (the store exclusive one): will anyone be able to pick those up for me? Please let me know and I'll sort out payment.

I'd love to see an Atom Smasher BAF.

Jo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Anybody having any luck finding Wave 3 (Solomon Grundy BAF)?

I have yet to see a wave 2 or 3 figure in the store, though the wave 1 figures were peg-warming my local Target for the longest time.

Edited by karamazov80

I was fortunate to find the chase Deathstroke unmasked set about a month ago. I haven't seen anything since, which is kind of sad when you think about it. I had to do some trading to get the masked Deathstroke and chase Sinestro though :( What's weird is now Wave 4 is hitting hard in other parts of the country. I don't know whether to ask one of my friends or pray they hit my area? Mattel and the retailers definately haven't learned their lesson when it comes to distibuting these figures :confused: