UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic Book Talk

I probably make a rod for my own back due to the crap I usually write so I suppose I should expect some scepticism when I'm trying to be serious.

Whilst I can find humour in most things I'm afraid that there are some things that I find serious .....this was serious . I apologise to anybody who thought otherwise.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously I'm not saying you're being ironic/sarcastic with the Normandy-Omaha bit BHM, I'm just saying maybe it was the comic writers who were intentionally trying to be clever/funny in writing that? (That's why I was asking if the line's delivery in the comic was serious or not.)

Yeah, obviously historical inaccuracy is something that does NOT sit well with certain people. However, especially in this current time and age, it seems that nothing is off-limits anymore.

Sorry NorthRaider I thought you were referring to the "bloody awful " comment I made which I'd probably agree was ill-advised.

The writer just made a mistake albeit a bad one & it was Captain America who was relaying the story which is ,in itself , terrible . There is also a dedication of the story on the last page to two 'friends' "who died during the Pearl Harbour attack Dec.7th,1941" which at least is correct but puts the dedicator at over 70 years of age!

No worries :) If it really WAS a historical inaccuracy problem within a completely serious context, maybe you can take comfort in the fact that somewhere out there someone ELSE is sure to notice that glaring error. Then again maybe this is just the writer's (ill-fated) attempt at spelling out historical events for younger generations by randomly associating one event with another (this from somebody who might've never even HEARD of Omaha's connection to WWII until she saw Saving Private Ryan :confused:)

• 2 weeks later...

K, quick question:

Just got back from my LCS. As always, he has freebie comics laid out on the counter in stacks; you know, things like the Marvel "Saga" crap and Comic News! newspapers. Well, when i picked up my freebies today, i noticed that he had two different Marvel Saga books for The New Mutants.

Um, what?? From what i've seen, the Saga things only come out during Marvel's bigger events, like they did for the War of Kings and Wolveringe Origins. So what does this mean?? Is there some NM event we weren't told about coming out or something?? Not the biggest fan, but i am pretty in with Marvel's current books and events, and don't remember a mention of anything like this...

K, quick question:

Just got back from my LCS. As always, he has freebie comics laid out on the counter in stacks; you know, things like the Marvel "Saga" crap and Comic News! newspapers. Well, when i picked up my freebies today, i noticed that he had two different Marvel Saga books for The New Mutants.

Um, what?? From what i've seen, the Saga things only come out during Marvel's bigger events, like they did for the War of Kings and Wolveringe Origins. So what does this mean?? Is there some NM event we weren't told about coming out or something?? Not the biggest fan, but i am pretty in with Marvel's current books and events, and don't remember a mention of anything like this...

There is an upcomming mini-series featuring the New Mutants. If memory serves, the Variant Covers are by alex Ross & The first issue cover is being released as a poster too.

post-2737-1238637092_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

I'm reading the Marvel Masterworks Avengers Vol. 1. I'm 3 issues in, and it is very wacky and unconventional! Love it. I expected something completely different (and more boring) and am pleasantly surprised so far at how dysfunctional and strange this team was at the beginning.

And damn, did you get a bargain for your money back in the 60s, or what? Each issue seems 3 times longer than a current comic book (and was about 300 times better).

Edited by karamazov80

Darkest Night sucks.

You are crazy. Blackest Night is really good. Geoff Johns is one of the two best writers in comics right now. Ed Brubaker is the other.

Gotta admit... I'm getting a little bored with BN. I recognise it's good writing and that Johns is building the bad up higher and higher. But I'm ready for the good guys to start making headway now. It's nothing against Johns. It's just me. I never liked those last two episodes of BVS before a season finale either.

Marvel... I would probably find it more interesting in general if I thought a status quo would last longer than a year. I mean, we all knew Norman ruling the world was a short term situation, but to me it would have been more fun if we didn't know going in it was only going to last a year tops, before the next crossover started. Of course, Brother Vodoo is suppossed to stop the end of days in the next crossover, groundwork already laid in New Avengers, so I suppose the earth bound heroes and the cosmics types might all have the same crossover for a change. And I really hope it's the last for a loooong time.

Actually issue 3 really pulled me some more, I really enjoyed that issue, I'm not reading any of the tie-ins,budget won't allow me to, but I will be picking up BN:Flash and BN:superman, and maybe the outsiders and JLA tie ins.

Also I really wanna check out superman:secret origins

AS for marvel, Glad utopia is over, to me it was not that interesting, and it had some pretty bad art. Glad that bendis and deodato are back on DA, and with #9, which really got me interested in checking out the secret warriors of nick fury.

Speaking of brubaker, sad thing is I never read any of his stuff, yeah I know I missing out, SO I heard his run of daredevil was good, might check that out.

Looks like there's foreshadowing of next year's big Marvel event in the December solicits already...

"The Siege"?

I know a lot of people are getting sick and tired of Dark Reign already. Still can't imagine how this would be an improvement on the status quo though... (Okay, maybe not an actual in-universe improvement but at least something readable)

More tired of the "annual event that changes everything until next year's event that changes everything" than anything else. And both companies are guilty of that right now.

I'm guessing "the Siege" is just what they're calling the end of Osborne event. Hope they rekill him and this time it sticks. Much like Aunt May, I haven't read a story yet that justifies bringing him back.

Seriously. Though that's not the only reason, these incessant cross-overs have contributed to the apathy that I have toward contemporary comics.

And how cliche' now is the Spiderman Noir story idea--let's take Spidey into the past and imagine what he and his enemies would be like in the 1930s!

The alternate reality stuff is old. The cross-overs are old. It is all so boring and tiresome to me. *complain complain*

Edited by karamazov80

I don't mind the occasional alternate reality story. What If...? was a favorite of mine back in the day. But very few other Earth stories can really carry themselves beyond a limited series. I thought the first Noir series were assuming for what they were, but I can't see credibly telling another tale.

The wheel of crossovers is getting as stale this time as it did last time. At least we're skipping the chromium covers this time around.

I think the thing that bugs me the most is the general degradation of all of Marvel's heroes. Once upon a time, Wolverine was novel because if push came to shove, this guy could kill somebody. And the Punisher... heck he barely qualified as a hero with his tactics. Now the list of heroes willing to use lethal force is depressingly long. Wolverine doesn't even seem to try to hold back anymore. Cyclops now sanctions a hit squad. And Clint... this man broke up his marriage over his strong belief that real heroes, especially Avengers, do not kill. Even under horrible duress, like a guy having raped his wife. Now Clint's trying to kill Osborne himself. I don't recognize these characters anymore.

Or maybe, just maybe, I'm getting to old for this smurf.

D'ya know what depresses me even more than today's comics nowadays?

The original outlines for Marvel crossovers Civil War and Secret Invasion have some major differences to the end products. Civil War would have originally included what would become World War Hulk and left Captain America a 97lb weakling, whilst the original ending to Secret Invasion would have massively depowered the Sentry and killed off Hercules and Jessica Jones and Luke Cage's baby.

They don't call it the What Could Have Been page for nothing.

As I said in the BN thread, BN is awesome! ... Just not the tie-ins. Is this a surprise though? Tie ins always suck. Why am I buying them? Beats me. No, I mean BEAT me! Beat some sense into me!

thank my budget, i dont buy the tie-ins, not even gl and glc, although bn:flash looks promising.

BN is an awesome crossover. But it's still another crossover. And frnakly I'm getting bored with it. Like I said in the BN thread, it probably has much more to do with me than the level of writing. If DC had waited I don't know even one whole year between big events, I'd think I'd be able to get more excted about it. But as it is, it's not maintaining my interest. I pretty sure in a year or so I'll sit down at a Borders on a lunch break and thuroughly marvel at it all in a trade. Numbed by the ever churning hypemachine right now. (which applies to both companies right now)

And THAT'S one of the reasons I like the Ultimate Universe so much! Of their eight years in existance there has been one crossover with tie-ins (And I'm not counting that Ultimate Vision comic which appeared in the back of comics that ran during the Galactus trilogy) and that was just to screw with things. Now it seems that most of the writers are ignoring Ultimatum and just going on with the story (Except Ultimate Armor Wars. And that's a miniseries). In fact, the two stories now don't have anything to do with Ultimatum. Spider-Man is dealing with Mysterio and the Avengers are up against the Red Skull.

That has nothing to do with the world flooding. The most carryovers from Ultimatum are brief references and the Mutant Register.

The Ultimate Universe is more or less a prime example of a universe together yet can stand alone. Characters make appearances in different comics (The Ultimates were everywhere man!) but it's not about a massive ongoing story: It's about each character going on with their superlives, but not ignoring the existance of the others. (Which would be VERY hard to do as they all live next door to each other.)

So yeah.

Ultimate Universe has the 616 and DC beaten on that.

And another book that has managed to avoid Tie-Initis so far is Thor. And it's my favorite 616 book. Ever. Read Thor!

Just to mix it up a bit I have just been looking up about Red Hulk there is a reference to it seems

silver surfer

in the latest issue that could shed some light on who Rulk is. Now I know very little about

Surfer or his companions

. So maybe someone here may have a clue.

DONT CLICK THE PICTURE IF YOU MAYBE DONT WANT ANY SORT OF SPOILERS!!!

post-179-1254668622_thumb.jpg