UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Target MiniMates delivery & possible DPCI code

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this is kind'a disturbing. Why can't they ever seem to embrace the "strike while the iron is hot" formula; these (and the movie-mates) really should have been out a month ago while the movie-hype was swelling. Timing is everything and can "make-or-break" a toy-line (I'd have thought that they learned this from past bobbles). Oh well, maybe the DVD release will regenerate interest?

Yeah, this is the same nail that was driven into the LOTR coffin. The first wave wasn't even released until after the last movie. We don't have to worry about this killing the Marvel series, but we do have to worry about the poor sales of late Movie Mates, which will in turn make it even harder to get more mates to Mass Market. It is sad to think about. neo

Hell. Adding to the insult, Target's already clearancing out Spider-Man 3 stuff. I saw quite a few of the things on clearance last night... Couple more weeks, and the Pirates 3 stuff will hit clearance...

The new FF figures look like dogcrap, though...

Oh, Target, why do you frustrate me so? Today is the day Hasbro releases the new Transformers merchandise, and so you reset your toy aisles to handle all of the new toy booty. And so I go today, hope held high, and find movie Transformers (more than meets the eye!), Fatastic Four figures (5" of inarticulated joy!), even Star Wars figures (did we really need a Biggs Darklighter figure with cape?). But no new Minimates.

Oh, Target. Stop playing with my emotions and put out the new Spidey Minimates.

I am with Boyd here. Why? I just left Target, just now, and I want to go Bin Ladin on the damn place, and it is weak sauce!

WW4M

Seriously.... I was really hoping the SM3 minimates would break the 'curse' of movie-related mates coming out WAY after the film. Have we even seen Ghost Rider minimates yet? The toy tie-in cycle moves so quickly nowadays. Now I'm seeing Spider-Man toys go on sale. Kids have largely forgotten the Spider-Man craze, and will soon move past the Pirates phase and go right into Transformers in just a few weeks. It would be such a shame for these fantastic SM3 minimates to come out a few months too late and sell poorly, casting a shadow on all future Target-based minimate releases.

Who knows, maybe we'll see SM3 minimates when the DVD comes out? Not my preference, but it makes a certain kind of sense from a marketing perspective...

Soylent Bean, have you looked at the Minimates Release Timeline thread? (Click Here)

I posted these release dates that DST had posted and are subject to change. The death here is all the waves being released at the same time. I think we all know that Avengers will win out in the end. None of these waves have been announced for mass market so I'm thinking the Target packs will be safe and have always sold well. We after all are talking about Target Spidey packs and not SM3 packs in this thread.

The DVD release should help. imo, Hasbro has over produced a ton of Marvel product that is of less quality and a bit more expensive. It's only natural to see so much on clearence. Plus Hasbro will be releasing (finally) the 6" Spider-man figures with BAF Sandman so there will be more product.

Marvel Minimates Series 15 - Ghost Rider 7/18/2007

Marvel Minimates Series 16 - Avengers 7/25/2007

Marvel Minimates Series 17 - SM3 7/25/2007

Marvel Minimates Series 18 - SM3 7/25/2007

Marvel Minimates Classic Spider-Man Box Set - 7/25/2007

And more

DC Wave 4 - 7/04/2007

Marvel Zombies Minimates Box Set - 9/20/2007

BSG Modern Minimates Series 2 Case - 8/29/2007

24 Season 1 Minimates Box Set - 8/29/20007

Well, I had forgotten that the Target Spidey wave wasn't the same as the movie SM3 mates, sorry about that. I swear, there's so many Spidey 'mates coming out, I know I'm going to get confused even after I have them all!

And thanks for the link to the timeline post, that's helpful. Guess I was just venting a little because it's been awhile since I've had a decent minimate haul!

But I still think the Powers That Be need to work on getting the movie-related 'mates out at the same time as the films. Just speaking as a fan who wants minimates to sell well!

^

I figured as much and it's hard to keep track of everything that is being released.

Be patient and they will come. This year I believe we are getting the most minimates I think ever! I'm still hoping that we will be getting Target packs before any more Marvel minimates.

I agree that theye need to be a better job on movie released mates. I think the SM3 preview pack was a step in the right direction. Having them released before the DVD is an improvement. After X3 Mates, I'm sure they got the message.

I console myself by saying that you don't get as far in the process as we have with the Target 'Mates, only to not release them. I just want them so bad! It's hard not to worry a little.

Hopefully, after they reset once the Transformers hype is done, the MiniMates will start to show up.

Are they really releasing all those Direct Waves during the same week? I used to own a comic shop... this would be painful on many retailers, having to lay out the cost of 4 waves arriving all at once. If this is truly the ambition of Art Asylum, fewer and fewer retailers are going to carry the Minimates lines after this summer's releases (if they don't sell VERY, VERY quickly.

Pushing a glut of product onto small retailers within a short time frame is a sure-fire way to erode your channel support. Just my two cents...

• 3 weeks later...
Hey I overheard some mangers talking in target that they need to get the toy isle reset beacaue they were getting a bunch of new toys in on a shipment in three weeks, don't know if anyone can confirm, hope the mates are included in that! :lol:

My local Target stocks new things on Monday/Tuesday. Maybe this or next week the new mates come in. :banana:

Nothing in south-central Wisconsin yet either :( I keep checking the DCPI code daily...

• 1 month later...