UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DVD Discussion

neolego

Ok, first let me say that I final finished JLU on Friday. As a new watcher I didn't see any of the JL episodes on TV (don't have cable) but have followed them since the first release on DVD. I can honestly say that I shed a bit of a tear after watching the final episode. It was a wonderful series. I loved Batman and Superman TAS but JLU really set the bar for what Fan-Based classic TV animation should resemble. I honestly don't understand how this show is still not on the air. I don't like or follow the DCU but you couldn't keep me from watching every episode of this show. JL and JLU are classic pieces of animation history and anyone who has followed the series should appreciate the true genius that you've witnessed. They just don't make animation like that anymore.

On the subject of Spider-Man 2.1. Eh, what can I say, it's Spider-Man. Had this been 3 months after the first release there is no way I would buy it. However, it is only $12.99. For that you get a few different special features, 8 new minutes (while indifferent, still there), and you get a sneak peak at Spider-Man 3. If is as sufficent as the first release? Probably not. It is called 2.1 instead of "Special Collectors Ultimate Edition" for a reason. It's a nice add on for the hardcore fan but not needed in the grand scheme of things. If you have not bought the movie, it's definitely worth the pick up at $13 but if you already have it you are not missing much, but what is there is really good. One thing I will reccomend is that you pick this set up at Walmart. For $12.99 it comes packed together with a second Disc (in it's own case) called Spider-Man 3 Villians. It is only 13 minutes long, but for being a free pack in it's pretty cool. It has interviews with Sam and Topher and Tomas Hayden and Toby. Just an insight into the Goblin, Sandman, and Vemon. Nothing we didn't already know, but interesting enough for movie behind-the-scenes fans. So, if you have the extra cash get it, if not there isn't much of a loss.

Looks like this week is going to be another dry week, unless you are looking forward to "The Last King of Scottland". So, I'll spend some more time with Guitar Hero II and count down the days till May 4th :D. neo

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I wouldn't say it's going to be a dry week, The Venture Bros. Season 2 is coming out. So, I'll be heading over to Target and Wal Mart to see who has the best price, although I don't remember WM carrying the first season :unsure: I still need to pick up some of the dvd's I mentioned and the Ultimate Bond remaining collections. Which is why I'll just save my pennies and wait for a big sale :D

Neo, I'm a JLU lover too. And there is DEFINETLY enough fan following for the show to live on. Unfortuantly a show only needs to do 56 episodes before being syndicated and after that a company doesn't make money on putting out new cartoons. This is why the last episode in JL season 4 (or Jlu season 2) was called Epilogue. Bruce Timm & his team didn't expect to be brought on for another season. It was Warner Bros. gift to fans that they got to do a 5th (Which is why it's a more "fun" season than #4).

Since WB isn't making any more money off the cartoon it's "over." But that doesn't mean we won't see any more from it. Bruce Timm has confirmed that with the way DVDs sell nowadays we can expect a flood of Direct to DVD JL releases continuing our heroe's stories.

Woo Hoo!

The first one to come out is a couple of months away and is called something like: Supderman vs Doomsday.

Also, if you guys have picked up all the Bruce Timm DC Superhero seasons out try grabbing some of the movies they did too. Some of them I are pretty sweet!

Batman: The Mask of the Phantasm

Batman: Sub-Zero

Batman: The Mystery of Batwoman

Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker

And DON'T pick up Brainiac Attacks!! It is NOT in continuity with the rest of the shows and SUCKS.

Whew!

Any questions?

I'm hitting BestBuy right after work for Venture Bros. Season 2. Even though I've already seen the episodes tons of times, I've still gotta buy the discs...

^^Yeah, same here Antacost. It's like the Family Guy season dvd's, I have them. But I still watch every episode when they are on tv too :P

Thanks for the heads up Nestle, I'll try to find some of the old movies. I've seen Mask of the Phantasm before, but not the other three. I really hope Bruce and the team continue to make new movies. Heck, I wouldn't mind a 2-Dics 13 episode Straight-to-DVD Season, I'd buy it!

As for Venture Bros., I've actually never seen the show. You guys seem to like it pretty well. Since it's a dry week I might pick it up and give it a shot. neo

Neo, not sure if you picked this up or not? But I wanted to let you know that Best Buy has the first season on sale for $19.99 and the regular price of $23.99-26.99(?). I know that Target seemed to have the best deal on Season 2 for $22.99, so you might see if BB will price match :thumbsup: I was going to pick mine up at Wal Mart, but there wasn't anyone in the electronics dept and I didn't see the dvd & made a quick drive over to Target and picked it up. On a side note, has anyone watched the directors cut of The Punisher? Is there anything different, as I'm considering getting this the next time it's $10.00 at Target.

On the subject of Spider-Man 2.1. Eh, what can I say, it's Spider-Man. Had this been 3 months after the first release there is no way I would buy it. However, it is only $12.99. For that you get a few different special features, 8 new minutes (while indifferent, still there), and you get a sneak peak at Spider-Man 3. If is as sufficent as the first release? Probably not. It is called 2.1 instead of "Special Collectors Ultimate Edition" for a reason. It's a nice add on for the hardcore fan but not needed in the grand scheme of things. If you have not bought the movie, it's definitely worth the pick up at $13 but if you already have it you are not missing much, but what is there is really good. One thing I will reccomend is that you pick this set up at Walmart. For $12.99 it comes packed together with a second Disc (in it's own case) called Spider-Man 3 Villians. It is only 13 minutes long, but for being a free pack in it's pretty cool. It has interviews with Sam and Topher and Tomas Hayden and Toby. Just an insight into the Goblin, Sandman, and Vemon. Nothing we didn't already know, but interesting enough for movie behind-the-scenes fans. So, if you have the extra cash get it, if not there isn't much of a loss.

Anybody pick up Spider-man 2.1? Just wondering if the extra 8 minutes of footage they put back in the movie makes this DVD worth buying.

Sounds like Neolego picked this up MM ;)

Anybody pick up Spider-man 2.1? Just wondering if the extra 8 minutes of footage they put back in the movie makes this DVD worth buying.

To answer your question more specifically, the 8 minutes really are good. Most of it is dialoge which was needed. There is an extended conversation with Peter and Harry as well as so time with MJ and a friend of hers. They also extended both the Clock Tower and L-Train fights. However, even with the extended footage, we still don't get an explination for that dang chocolate cake! Hope that helps.

On another subject, I was wondering if anyone is an avid HD DVD or BluRay watcher? The reason I ask is because I am a big DVD fan but have yet to make the the leap into Next-Gen, mainly due to cost. However, if it's really that much better cost would be worth it. I've been on the fence about picking up an HD DVD add-on for my 360. I refuse to get a BluRay because I hate Sony. My problem is that I can't see what it really looks like. I'd hate to pay $200 and get home and there just be a minor upgrade. So, I'm asking you guys. Anyone own/watch HD DVD or BluRay and if so what do you think about it? neo

Also, if you guys have picked up all the Bruce Timm DC Superhero seasons out try grabbing some of the movies they did too. Some of them I are pretty sweet!

All four are good but the last two in particular are superb.

All four are good but the last two in particular are superb.

Return of the Joker is probably my favorite of the bunch. You'll recognize several of the characters who made it back later in JLU. :tongue:

Mask of the Phantasm is also a classic, but if you watched JLU season 2 the mystery is pretty much spoiled. :confused:

As for Mystery of Batwoman: An interesting fact, Bruce Timm did NOT make this movie. Some of the other guys from the team ran it, but, like Rad said is so good it is considered in continuity.

I didn't know that about Timm. It's a testament to the BTAS team that you don't notice his lack of involvement.

Mask of the Phantasm is great. Loved the Joker in it. I really should get around to getting to getting that and sub-zero on DVD. I still only have vhs versions.

I'm not sure how hard they are to pick up now. About a year ago I snagged them for like 2 for $7 or something.

Funny you should say that about Joker in Phantasm. That is one of my favorite Joker scenes. :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong, SubZero is good too. The other 3 are all mysteries though and SubZero doesn't quite fit the mold.

I'm a HUGE fan of Anime. Theres was a good series called Hellsing. The basic plot is that a U.K. Organization called Hellsing, founded by the family Hellsing, has captures a vampire called Alucard (dracula backwars :o) Anyways they set out to fight other "evil" vampires and ghouls. Ghouls are zomobies but are under a vampires control. The anime is very interesting and fans of this Anime would Love the OVA. An Ova is like a reanimation of the anime itself, only with a much better budget, and the anime sticks much more to the plotline of the manga. Any way I got the Ova os hellsing Vol.1 it is what I hoped it would be. Everything is better, but I advise be careful with children, this ova is alot more bloodier and gorier than the original series, I say kids watch with caution. I got the Limited Edition which cost around 40 dlrs on amazon.com The limited addition comes with a Metallic special case (gorgeous btw) with a realistic and satanic looking Alucard bust (extremly nice) THe special features are extremely good. Interviews, subs, original language (japanese) commericals that they showed to adv in Japan. I'd give it a 8.5 out of 10, but with the special features of the LE (limited edition) 10 out of 10.

some of the torture scenes with robin are cut from the original release... the joker actually shoots a gun at one point rather than a dart.. or gas gun cant remember which.. and a few other ones.. that i cant remember off the top of my head...

How does a person get ahold of this version?

Nestle, two ways that I know of right off the bat. You can go to that link(Click me) I've provided numerous times and type in Batman Beyond Joker :thumbsup: This should give you a heads up on who has it for the best price w/shipping. Also, you can sometimes find them on eBay(click me too). But I've heard of some sellers not knowing the difference in the version and just repeating what another buyer posted in their description :rolleyes: Anyway, it's definately a better movie for the darkness, much like Mask of the Phantasm.

I've got all of the Batman animated movies, but have yet to watch Batwoman... I had thought that it was just a few episodes strung together... Never really occured to me that I hadn't seen it when I re-watched the seasons. Thanks for the heads-up guys.

I picked up my Return of the Joker: Uncut about a year ago before Suncoast folded. I did have to look for it for awhile (for some reason, I rarely buy movies on-line... Everything else, but not movies). It's got a black border around the whole cover, and says "The Original, Uncut Version" at the top. It's also rated PG-13. Pick it up, it's awesome.

Of them all, SubZero seemed to be the hardest for me to find. I think I actually found it at a Circuit City in St. Louis awhile back.

Movie wise:

I've just finally gotten around to opening up some of the After Dark Horrorfest movies. I'm watching "The Gravedancers" right now. It's pretty good. Dominic Purcell (Prison Break / Blade III) is the star. Didn't realize that until I started watching it... Bonus: It's got Clare Kramer (Glory from Buffy) in it... One of my top fives

Just watched the live-action Cutie Honey movie the other night. It's awesome. It's really a live-action anime. Some of the effects are so over the top that it's hard to remember it's not a cartoon. I've had a non-sub/non-dub version for awhile now, (The American disc is dubbed) so it was nice to know what was actually going on. It was directed by Hideaki Anno (of Evangelion fame) so you know it's good shit.

Venture Bros. Season 2 = Awesome! Go Team Venture!

I forgot to pick up The Batman: Season 3 or Teen Titans: Season 3, so I may have to venture out to Best Buy again this weekend.

As of today, I now officially have all of the movies and seasons of the animated DC on DVD. Still have to pick up that Return of the JOker now though.

For those of you who haven't seen Subzero if I remember correctly, it follows how Mr. Freeze becomes the head in the jar in BB. :thumbsup:

I just picked up Season 3 of The Batman yesterday. Of course I need to watch Season 2 now :P Still waiting for the BB and JLU sets to go on sale. If anyone see's these around $19.99-34.99 for Season 2 of BB and JLU Season 1 & 2, please send me a pm in advance :D