UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Aquaman's hook UPDATED

Mystery Man

So has anybody thought of a way to do this yet? I have absolutely no leads on this one, I'm afraid. Usually I can remember applicable parts from other lines that might fit and work but this one has me stumped (ha ha).

I've got long hair for him. And I've got a water hand version and a yellow-gloved version. But there's gotta be a way to put a hook on his hand for that variation.

-Matt

Cut the hook of of a Spider-Man webline. That's all I can think of.

Okay this may be hard to follow, but bear with me, what you do is take 2 twist ties (those stupid things that come with toys and get in your way) Twist them together, make a two pronged hook on the end. Paint it gold and put in Aqua's hand slot. Tell me if it works.

Yeah, I'd have to suggest something from Mattel's line (though the scale may be way off...maybe those 2" diecasts). Weren't there some JL food-premiums a few years back (Subway, I believe)? But honestly, unless you have to have one today, "Long-haired,bearded, hook-hand" seems to be the most viable candidate for a future variation of Aquaman. I'm sure that DCD will get around to it eventually. His appearance really hasn't changed that much in all these years aside from this and Kingdom Come. Besides, I can't think of any other way for Black Manta to get produced...and he, IMO is an essential DC villan! I recommend patience, or a "Raft Sentry" variant with a Hobbit cloak and...I dunno; we really don't have a true "bare-chested" mini yet(just ONE would make my Son of Satan, Conan, etc. customs a reality...hopefully with a Submariner!) besides Gollum, Logan, and Blade(and those don't really fit the bill).

I think the easiset thing to do would be to sculpt one from Milliput or some other two-part epoxy - that way the scale will be correct. You could even start with a toothpick for the straight part of the hook and sculpt on the curved part if this is the look you're going for. And you could use one of Wonder Woman's gaunlets for the base.

Yeah, I'd have to suggest something from Mattel's line (though the scale may be way off...maybe those 2" diecasts). Weren't there some JL food-premiums a few years back (Subway, I believe)? But honestly, unless you have to have one today, "Long-haired,bearded, hook-hand" seems to be the most viable candidate for a future variation of Aquaman. I'm sure that DCD will get around to it eventually. His appearance really hasn't changed that much in all these years aside from this and Kingdom Come. Besides, I can't think of any other way for Black Manta to get produced...and he, IMO is an essential DC villan! I recommend patience, or a "Raft Sentry" variant with a Hobbit cloak and...I dunno; we really don't have a true "bare-chested" mini yet(just ONE would make my Son of Satan, Conan, etc. customs a reality...hopefully with a Submariner!) besides Gollum, Logan, and Blade(and those don't really fit the bill).

BLACK MANTA! BLEEP YES!

BLACK MANTA! BLEEP YES!

Bare-chested? Use Gollum. I did. That's why I have a Ka Zar and a Namor right now.

You can also use Iron Fist's torso, but turn it around. There's some detailing on the back that's supposed to be shoulder blades and such, but it works just fine as a chest, too.

Bare-chested? Use Gollum. I did. That's why I have a Ka Zar and a Namor right now.

And the Ka-Zar looks pretty good, but I'm still holding-out for a more "ripped" chest-piece to use that requires no modification. With any luck, we'll be getting a "classic Namor" in the Defenders box-set that will better suit my needs (although I'm not so keen on having to buy so many box-$et$!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

At Target today I found some small half-plastic/half-die cast Justice League Unlimited figures that are a little bit taller than minimates and only move at the waist. They're 2.99 and they had one Aquaman. It's the green pants, shirtless version with the hook hand. I picked it up, went home and cut it off.

Then I put it through the hole where the hand goes on the Spider-Carnage metal bracelet and used a teeninsy (tee nine see) dab of crazy glue to get it to hold. And there you go. Looks great.

My Aquaman variant is:

Gollum torso, arms, hand (all cleaned of the dirt with paint remover)

Sabertooth/Bearded Sentry hair

Bearded Sentry head

Aquaman legs, crotch and feet.

Looks damn good and thought you guys might like to know.

My camera is broken, so no picture I'm afraid.

-Matt