UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

antacost's customs

Thanks for all of the comments guys. I've got three new figures today. They're all in the Marvel section, and in this lovely shade of red.

A couple of them are characters that I've wanted to do for awhile, and I'm really happy with the way that they turned out. I tried something new with them. They're as close to the art from the book as possible. I'm hoping to get another 2-pack from this book...

Comments and Criticisms are always appreciated...

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved Dr. Strange. That's the second unique set of hands I've seen made for the character, and they're definitely growing on me. Your facial detail on Strange is superb, probably amongst your best work. Overall, they all look great.

And on a side note, does Kratos come with his topless wenches as accessories? Think of the children. Or at least Danny. :thumbsup:

You sir, are a national treasure of whatever country you happen to be from. The Holocaust figure was awesome, loved the creative solution for making his head. I showed a friend of mine some of your work and he flipped over the Quasar, he thought it was an actual figure AA was releasing! Keep up the good work, and might I suggest a Speedball Minimate? Remember the good times....before Civil War ruined him forever.

awesome work! I like The Oath as well. Love Strange's hands. You beat me to US Agent...I'm excited cause he's gonna resurface in Alpha Flight.

You are the man!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words everybody.

Today, I'm back with a couple of figures I had planned to do awhile back, but never got around to. The order came in for them, and I was pretty excited to finally do them.

They're in the DC section in red.

Hope you enjoy them, I know I do... They'll be pretty hard to see go.

Great ones, truly great ones, you're getting better all the time...

I know all trade peoples are entitled to trade secrets, but would you mind sharing how you recast stuff? Specifically, how you make the molds? A LOT of people could use that trick...if not, that's fine. I still respect you. ;)

I'm back today with the nemesis of one of my past figures.

The most evil man in the world shows his face today... In this lovely blue color...

Thanks for looking. Feedback is always appreciated.

Hey there, Antacost. I'm wondering, what material do you use to sculpt your hair? Now that I've actually started making my fabled Doctor Who Minimates, I'm suddenly experiencing the murder that is the 2" body. Model Magic isn't malleable enough, it takes far too long to use Milliput, and I'm afraid of putting Sculpy in the oven (on a side note, does it need to be baked? Can it be painted or covered with PVA afterwards?). Any advice?

I use Super Sculpey for all of the hairpieces. I bake it in a toaster oven instead of a regular oven. It's a much better solution. I usually turn the heat down, and bake it for a bit longer. Just keep an eye on it, and you shouldn't burn it.

You can also boil it in water in the microwave to cure it...

You would have to bake or cure it in order to paint it.

I use Super Sculpey for all of the hairpieces. I bake it in a toaster oven instead of a regular oven. It's a much better solution. I usually turn the heat down, and bake it for a bit longer. Just keep an eye on it, and you shouldn't burn it.

Cool. I went out into town today and bought some proper modeling clay (which takes 4 or 5 days to dry, apparently), so I'll see if that's better. I just didn't want to use proper clay, in case it went all brittle and started looking un-plasticy. If I see some Super Sculpey, I'll probably get it also.

Could you perhaps explain how would you bake your hairpieces in a toaster oven?

I've got pictures of my newest project in my new blog:

http://antacoststudios.blogspot.com/

Hope to have these guys finished by next weekend. When I do, you know I'll be posting them here.

OMG! That is perhaps one of the best Minimate WIP's I have seen ever... yeah granted he's the 3" size and can have a bit more detail but that is outstanding work and should look excellent when finished. You surprised me more and more with your work Antacost.

cheers,

Tk

nothing but the best. You are in a league of your own when it comes to generating custom pieces for customs. I am drooling right now!!

I'm waiting for some more Primer to show up right now, so I havent' started painting the Onslaughts... I have moved onto my next project though: The Great Machine from Ex-Machina.

393428023_48c75a1012.jpg

More pics on my blog: http://antacoststudios.blogspot.com/

Unbelievable work my friend!I think they are awesome as is, and agree...BEST WIP's EVER! I really feel that your Onslaught might end up being the best minimate custom to date. I am curious to find out how you made the pouches, belt, and straps for The Great Machine. I have wanted to start a few of my joe's and cobra's who have some pouches, and other military garb.

Totally looking forward to the finished products! now get to paintin bro :P

Well, at least one of those WIP's is done. Great Machine can now be seen in the first post, or right here at:

http://thefmh.com/GreatMachine.jpg

This figure was a blast to do. I was originally going to hold off and do him for my 100th figure (Mayor Mitchel Hundred... Get It?) but came up with a better idea for that figure...

Nervous, the pouches and straps for The Great Machine are cut from various thicknesses of sheet plastic, and the belt is a cast of a blank belt I made along time ago.

I've gotten the primer in, so I'm hoping to finish up at least one Onslaught by this weekend. I've still got one slot left on the edition size for Onslaught. If anyone is interested, hit me with a PM...