UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Spiderman 3 Movie Minimates!

boyd

The sales will no doubt be much poorer, now that the Spiderman 3 craze is over. With the Timing being so poor to the movie and DVD, I agree that they should not release these as lines in the series.

If they cancelled the Ghost Rider Movie line, than they can cancel these.

I would love these as a seperate box set like the GSX or Spiderman Torment set, but at this point it just seems like another terrible move that will create the the minimate sales to go down in Dec.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the problem is they CAN'T cancel them, and even if EVERYONE wanted them to (which most don't) they still wouldn't. They've already got thousands of dollars tied up in these waves, they are quite literally on the boats coming over here. There's already a few here as we saw earlier. It's so late in the game that they can't even take the big chest off parker. So are they going to have poor sales? Maybe. Hopefully not. Is that going to stop them? No. Do I want these 2 waves? Absolutely.

Wait, didn't the X3 mates come out way after the movie? (I'm actually asking, I didn't buy them so I wasn't paying attention.) Because in the last Q&A, DST said the movie mates have tended to sell better than the comic book lines. And it hasn't been that long since Spiderman 3 came out on DVD...

Wait, didn't the X3 mates come out way after the movie? (I'm actually asking, I didn't buy them so I wasn't paying attention.) Because in the last Q&A, DST said the movie mates have tended to sell better than the comic book lines. And it hasn't been that long since Spiderman 3 came out on DVD...

This is my first post. I do browse here a lot, but normally don't have anything to say. I am glad to hear that these are still coming out. You would have thought DST would have put a little more effort into the timing of their release, but at least they are coming before Christmas.

But back to battlecat's question...The X3 minimates came out many months after the movie and a few months after the DVD. I thought they would not do very well even though I was excited about getting them. I think they did sell well enough and I think the Spider-Man 3 mates have a chance to sell well as well. Also, I'm sure they paid a lot for the license to make them.

But back to battlecat's question...The X3 minimates came out many months after the movie and a few months after the DVD. I thought they would not do very well even though I was excited about getting them. I think they did sell well enough and I think the Spider-Man 3 mates have a chance to sell well as well. Also, I'm sure they paid a lot for the license to make them.

I would not assume that the X3 minimates sold well. My LCS stated that they had a very hard time selling that X3 series, and did not reorder more based on that. However, with the DC or previous Marvel minimates, my LCS had to place reorders on all, and sold out within 2-3 weeks for their initial orders. My LCS is also the largest franchise in Illinois.

I was bored so I thought I would add my perspective.

Did I want them last summer? Oh yeah! Would it have been cool to have the whole set in front on me while watching the DVD last month? Bingo! Do I wish they would skip the wave altogether at this point? ARE YOU INSANE?!?!?

Seriously though, I've had these things Pre-Ordered since day one and I still can't wait for them. The hype is down, sure, and that is going to effect the Mass Market. In fact, if DST put these in Mass Market next week they would fail miserably (SEE: Lord of the Rings Minimates). However, for the hardcore fan, this is still an extremely huge couple of waves. The New Goblin, Vemon, and Transformering Peter and Eddie are worth the price of admission themselves. In the end, this is going to be a highlight wave that should and I believe needs to be released. Much like Dinobot said, the X3 wave is one of the very best Marvel waves released. It's just really sad that it didn't get the exposure that it deserved, much like the LOTR mates, much like the Speed Racer mates, and now much like the SM3 mates. In the end, DST just has like the suckiest timing ever and in the end they only have themselves to blame. As hardcore fans we can enjoy the greatness of these new lines, but if their timing continues to suck like this it's only going to hurt the life of the product and that is bad for everyone!

Answer to the solution? I have a few. I think they need to continue with waves 20 and 21 and then make waves 22 and 23 Iron Man Movie waves and then waves 24 and 25 Hulk Movie Waves and have them shipped the week before the movie is released to Mass Market. Right now they are still a novelty, but if they could get the attention of the Mass Market just once, I think it would usher in a new era for the Marvel Minimates and several others. Will that ever happen? Probably not, and because of that I can only say enjoy your Marvel Minimates while you have them and remember, there is always DC Minimates :D. neo

In the end, DST just has like the suckiest timing ever and in the end they only have themselves to blame. As hardcore fans we can enjoy the greatness of these new lines, but if their timing continues to suck like this it's only going to hurt the life of the product and that is bad for everyone!

Answer to the solution? I have a few. I think they need to continue with waves 20 and 21 and then make waves 22 and 23 Iron Man Movie waves and then waves 24 and 25 Hulk Movie Waves and have them shipped the week before the movie is released to Mass Market.

I was talking to Chuck about this at one of the Cons and they are aware that they would sell better if they came out at the same time as the movie. But it's not that simple, they wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot intentionally.( although that might explain Matt's cast at SDCC ;)

I'd say on average that for any minimate wave we see art or prototypes 12-18 months before we get the mates in our hands, which gives us an idea of the time needed to produce a wave, If the people making the movie only lets DST in on artwork or character design 6 months before the movie is released then it's no surprising these are going to be late. Yes Hasbro manage to get their stuff in stores but there is a huge difference between both the size and influence of that company and DST.

T.

So wait, you guys think DST was lying in that Q&A, about the movie lines generally selling better? They did specifically exclude the GR presales from that statement, so if they're going to cop to that line's failures I can't imagine why they'd lie about the other lines doing well. I mean I believe you that they didn't sell well in your LCS, but is that reason enough to assume that was the experience worldwide?

I guess I just don't think SM3 has instantly disappeared from popular consciousness just because the DVD isn't brand new on the shelves. The Spiderman/X-Men movies have much wider pop culture awareness right now in the general public than, say, the old Avengers comic book, although obviously comic book readers/stores are the main venue for minimates right now, so... I don't know. :blink:

I'd say on average that for any minimate wave we see art or prototypes 12-18 months before we get the mates in our hands,

It definitely feels like more time and effort was put into the SM3 mates than was actually put into SM3 :)

Plus the mates have a lot less crying (unless I can't find that Mary-Jane variant).

I never said they delays were intentional, but they are a crutch. In fact, I think they are better to NOT do movie mates if they can't be released within the film or dvd release. The Batman Begins C3 mates are another great example that you can chalk up with the Ghost Rider mates. There is just little to no steam left for a property after it's release. We are an instant gradification society and we won't our products in our hands before we even know what they are. Do we really think Transformers The Movie would have been the best selling toy line this year if they waited until now to release the figures? Sure, the fans would buy the product just like we will buy the mates, but the line would never be as successful as it turned out to be.

As far as the time argument, I can't say that it's a good enough excuse for me. Sure, they need lead in time, but 18 months to make a 2-inch figure with little detail and hardly any accessories? Seriously now, if it takes any company 18 to print a face on a piece of plastic, mold a skirt and shirt, and put on a blonde wig than they need some seriously help. It's just really hard for me to believe that I bought my first Spider-Man 3 toy in April and DST/AA couldn't get a finalized, 2-inch minimate, in the store by October.......that is just hard for me to swallow. neo

I never said they delays were intentional, but they are a crutch. In fact, I think they are better to NOT do movie mates if they can't be released within the film or dvd release. The Batman Begins C3 mates are another great example that you can chalk up with the Ghost Rider mates. There is just little to no steam left for a property after it's release. We are an instant gradification society and we won't our products in our hands before we even know what they are. Do we really think Transformers The Movie would have been the best selling toy line this year if they waited until now to release the figures? Sure, the fans would buy the product just like we will buy the mates, but the line would never be as successful as it turned out to be.

As far as the time argument, I can't say that it's a good enough excuse for me. Sure, they need lead in time, but 18 months to make a 2-inch figure with little detail and hardly any accessories? Seriously now, if it takes any company 18 to print a face on a piece of plastic, mold a skirt and shirt, and put on a blonde wig than they need some seriously help. It's just really hard for me to believe that I bought my first Spider-Man 3 toy in April and DST/AA couldn't get a finalized, 2-inch minimate, in the store by October.......that is just hard for me to swallow. neo

No one is arguing that if these had come out at the same time as the movie they would probably have caught a wider audience or sold better, as I said in my previous post though, this isn't always possible.

Using transformers isn't a great comparison... My guess is that as the rights to transformers were 'owned' by the toy company that they were in on the designs from day one, also Hasbro is a monster company that has way more power than the likes of DST in terms of manufacturing and getting what it wants, I'm sure that others that have more experience working with toy companies can chip in here.

Yes I could make a single custom in a matter of days but to design, prototype, get approval, have molds & tampos made, schedule factory time, and finally pack/ship all take longer than you'd think.

Hard to swallow or not that's the way things are... I doubt very much DST think 'I know lets release these a year late just for shits and giggles..'

T.

I would not assume that the X3 minimates sold well. My LCS stated that they had a very hard time selling that X3 series, and did not reorder more based on that. However, with the DC or previous Marvel minimates, my LCS had to place reorders on all, and sold out within 2-3 weeks for their initial orders. My LCS is also the largest franchise in Illinois.

We're not assuming, DST told us that in the last Q & A.

I don't think this will sell poorly, I think there are enough things to attract people to it. The very cool sandman minimate is one, as well as a pretty cool venom, a new black spider man, and a detailed movie version of spider-man. Not to mention Goblin II. The two girls are very 'eh' as are 'civilian' petter and eddie, but oh well. This COULD have been one series, but we know their milking it.

I just want this to come out so we can move on to my Archangel and Smart Hulk waves already! :D

I see them on the shiping list i usually go by for this week so I am expecting the west coast should have them wednesday while the rest of us should have them on the 19t....new minimates and a new baby for me on the same day!

Jeff of the Minis

I see them on the shiping list i usually go by for this week so I am expecting the west coast should have them wednesday while the rest of us should have them on the 19t....new minimates and a new baby for me on the same day!

Jeff of the Minis

YES! FINALLY!!!

THe minimates have been deleted for almost 6 months now.

Doubt that they will come out this week. But I'll be damned if

they do. :lol:

Let me prepare to damn you then, just in case. :biggrin:

shit <_<

oh well, I was wrong :P Bring on the minimates! :)