UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Spiderman 3 Movie Minimates!

boyd

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent news that they're coming out! :)

minijeff, did the shipping list say that both waves were coming out on Wednesday or just one? Thanks

par for the course it listed both waves at once! as for the diamond ship list I find that the mates that are not shipped at the same time across the board dont show up on that list the first week as the west coast locals get them

Jeff of the Minis

par for the course it listed both waves at once! as for the diamond ship list I find that the mates that are not shipped at the same time across the board dont show up on that list the first week as the west coast locals get them

Jeff of the Minis

Excellent, thanks!

My comic shop has them listed for this week too!

Are you on the west coast?

Ok opening thoughts:

Green Goblin rocks is really cool, comes with 2 swords and a face grad, face really looks like the actor with out losing that minimate charm. So cool

spiderman is very bright red different from the summer exclusive.

sandman simple but good, sand hands are cool, really pack a punch.

black suit spiderman, has a power chest, WHY?! I don't know, luckily you can switch it with unmasked black suit spiderman

unmasked black suit spiderman comes with mask (simular to JJ, and ironman) with the mouth as part of the mask like batman.

transforming spiderman, looks really cool, not much play value here, but he is nice to look at totally captured the emotion

venom has a power chest and new hands, I thought they would reuse carnage's hands but they did not. also has power belt that covers the whole t-part (underwear part) it looks really good you know how sometimes the chest looks really big compared to the legs well this changes it it, looks cool.

For those who words are not enough (I am one myself) I will post pictures at about 2, unless some one else does first.

some of these mate were worth the wait some ehh.

Spider-Man 3 Minimates

Since I’m not going to bother figuring out which figures fall into which “series,” I’m reviewing it all as one big set.

Red Spider-Man: I was just a little disappointed with the Spider-Man figure because I was expecting the webbing to actually be silver, kind of shiny. Instead it’s a flat gray. Otherwise, it’s just another Spider-Man… not a bad one, but we certainly have enough “regular” spideys.

New Green Goblin: Now this is really the gem of this set. One of my complaints has been that recently the Marvel Mates don’t have many accessories. Well this one is packed full, possibly beating out Assault Punisher in sheer number of parts! Just on the body alone he has a shoulder/chest harness, wrist braces/blade, a belt, a sheath on one leg, and over sized boots. In ADITION to that, he has two different size blades, a helmet, and the glider. If I was to have one complaint, it’s that the peg for the glider doesn’t really fit too snugly on his foot and it keeps falling off. Also, the glider only seems to be at like 2/3 scale with the figure… seems like it should have a longer wing span, but I guess they don’t want to violate any “vehicle” stuff in the contract, so they had to keep it a midget glider.

Power House Black Spider-Man: I don’t like the fact that ‘Red’ Spider-Man and ‘Black’ Spider-Man are different scales. There’s no reason for Black Spidey to have a power chest… if anything, black is a very slimming color and actually makes him look more agile, not bulky. However, AA was nice enough to provide us with enough non-power house black Spidey chest pieces to swap them out. Now, onto the figures themselves…

Flint Marko/Sandman: The civilian Flint Marko is exactly what you’d expect… nothing spectacular, but it looks the part. The attachable arms with sand fists is a nice touch, but I just wish they were a bit different than the ones that come with the full on Sandman. Speaking of which…

Sandman: WOW! Along with Green Goblin, this is the other gem of this set. Just the sheer idea behind it is cool, and really pushes what you think a MiniMate should be. Considering Marvel can’t do 2.5” figures, this really shows how much you can play around with the structure of a mate even at 2” size. It’s just a really inspired figure that stands out among the rest.

Maskless Black Spider-Man: A cool idea, we haven’t had a full unmasked Spider-Man since… well, when WAS the last time actually? I don’t think there was on. I absolutely love the way this figure looks with the unmasked face and hair piece. It’s nothing spectacular, but it is just a really nice looking figure. However, the half mask piece that slips on over the head I’m less than crazy about. First off, it just seems pointless to have it be a whole head piece. Why not just have the mask part be the molded fitting and have the mouth portion just be the actual mouth from the figure head? Right now, when you slip it on, it just makes his head look a lot bigger compared to his body than it should, and it looks slightly ninja turtle like. Considering I have two (due to having to buy a variant) I may try snipping the ‘flesh’ part off of the head piece and see if that works better. I have a feeling it will.

Mary Jane: It is a successful figure in that it is very bland and uninteresting looking, just like the actress it is based upon. Sorry, I just absolutely loathe the Kristen Dunst Mary Jane, and this figure reminds me why. Even the Minimate has a depressing look on its face! And wearing all black! My hatred for this character and its subsequent Minimate is ironic to me since 616 Mary Jane is possibly my favorite female comic book character.

Gwen Stacy: I absolutely LOVED Bryce Dallas Howard’s Gwen in the movie (I actually think, considering she’s naturally a red head, she would have played a WAY better Mary Jane) and this figure really does represent that adorable, innocent, daddy’s little girl next door appearance. The coloring is nice, but not too pop-art like, it looks like it was based on a real person while still being stylized. And, unlike the Mary Jane mate, the skirt on this figure goes straight down and looks right, while Mary Jane’s pouches out in a kind of awkward way.

Peter Parker: I’m not generally a fan of ‘civilian’ mates, but I kind of like this one. I think it boils down to the jacket accessory, which is nice, and the Black Spidey chest piece underneath. I just think that looks cool, and it’s another piece we can use to swap out that ridiculous power house chest piece on the main black Spidey.

Eddie Brock: Again, a civilian minimate. Looks fine, nothing spectacular, the jacket is a nice touch… if you want to make a Civie mate look good to me, give it a jacket, LOL. The Camera is a nice accessory to, I just wish it also came with the variant version that way I could have two cameras… one for Peter and one for Eddie. Peter should have one too, or did AA forget that he’s a photographer…?

Transformation Eddie Brock: Interesting… that’s all I can say. It’s a civie trying to be a super mate… I don’t really see the point, but whatever.

Transformation Peter Parker: See above.

Venom: Considering we just got a powerhouse Venom in the torment set, this just seems like re-treading, and way too soon. What I would have preferred is something a bit more kin to the Sandman minimate where Venom is a huge, hulking black goo-monster thing with tendrils coming out everywhere. Instead we just get a more or less repeat of a figure that came out not too long ago.

Well, that’s my review… over all I like the set, though I think it could have been consolidated into a single series rather than two... just take out the civie mates and the “transformations” and we could have saved some money and some plastic. Oh well, I really view this set as “one step closer to classic marvel mates”… which I can’t wait for!!!

... There?s no reason for Black Spidey to have a power chest?....

acutally, although i dont think its really nesscessary on the MM, black suited spidey in the movie and as represented in the Hasbro toys is larger/bulkier as the symbiote "enhances" the Host in strength and agility, thus the tiny Eddie Brock(movie) yields the large Venom as well.

Thanks for the images guys.

I don't see any "Variant Enclosed" labels on the Mary Jane or Transformation Venom packs. Were they skipped this time around or are they on the top of the card? Muchas gracias.

Look in the Top right corner of the front of the box mr Kittens ;)

T.