UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Video Games mm

Kenx

Game mm that I think would sell

Halo, Metal gear saga, Ghost Recon saga, Gears of war, Rainbow six saga, Splinter cell, Call of duty, Crackdown, Socom US navy seals, Killzone, Half life saga, Counter strike, God of war, GTA, Resistance fall of man, FEAR. :ninja::sweat::woot:;)

As amazing as some of these lines might be, I wouldn't hold my breath after DST's experience with Street Fighter lately. They'd either need to find better retail partners for them, or perhaps AA could actually partner with the game companies themselves. Square-Enix does have a collectibles division...

The only problem with video game licenses is that your audience is only as big as the game fanbase. If Legend of Zelda isn't my cup of tea, I'm not going to be too keen on buying action figures of any kind relating to the game. But if you can overcome the recognition of the game, you still have recognition of the characters to worry about. While some games, like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat feature a vast array of characters, others are stagnant in the way of actually identifying anyone outside of your main protagonist. Doom, for instance. Though you'd be chock full of guns in sets based on the games, you have zero identifiable characters, which is generally the case for first person shooters. And Legend of Zelda, as long as its been around and as many games as its spawned, the average fan will only recognize Zelda and Link. Final Fantasy is another game with a huge fanbase, but seeing as each game is essentially independent of each other, it would be hard to keep a line going when you have to hit the reset button every year or so. Not to mention, who could name every character from every game? The only ones I recognize are the three girls from FFX that got their own spinoff game. And even then, I don't know who they are. As for war games, like Call of Duty, Rainbow Six, etc, you have no recognizable characters and thus only have little more than an army builder pack. Then, there are games that feature characters that just won't work as minimates. Metroid would be cool, but outside of Samus, you don't really have any characters that work in the minimate format. And Mario, though popular, could not support more than a boxed set, seeing as most of his enemies are not human-like in appearance, and thus would not work in the minimate format. If you can overcome the issue of recognizable characters, then you have to worry about necessary accessories. Games like GTA do feature a variety of characters, but the lack of cars would make the line lose interest fast.

But, if you can overcome all those obstacles and still have a game that could keep people interested and carry a line, then you still have to worry about where to market the product. It seems more and more gaming stores are getting away from carrying anything other than toys. It makes no sense to sell them in comic book shops, especially if there are no comic book counterparts to tie with. The best way you could hope to market your line would be to get an exclusive figure packaged with the game, in a similar manner to Ultimate Avengers 2 and its exclusive figures. I know if I bought Silent Hill 5 and it came packaged with one of the monsters from the game, I'd be very much interested in finding others to go along with it.

All that being said, the only games that come to my mind right off hand that could carry a line of figures would be mainly fighting games like Street Fighter (which, in my opinion, was a great line if not for the lack of availability). Metal Gear and Silent Hill could make for interesting lines as well. Resident Evil is iffy, seeing as you could get away with just making a couple of the more prominent figures and then just zombie army build from there. Halo, Half Life, and some of the others may carry a single 2-pack or at most a boxed set, but not much more beyond that.

It's just a law of nature: video games don't make great movies, books, or toys. There's always the exception to the rule, but I think if many of these licenses were pursued, they'd end up like Street Fighter in that they carried lots of potential, but the availability or interest just wasn't there.

Yeah, the Halo figs would sell insanely fast. King Kong (the game) would be sweet, since it could do tons *ahem* Max King Kong *ahem*. I myself like all the Jedi Outcast stuff, Kyle Katarn, Jan ors, etc.

POKEMON!!! :banana: Just kidding

AVATAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's an Avatar game??!!

Glomit

• 1 month later...

OK there are a few games that would make good minis: Spider Man! oh wait, already done. Well then X-Men! Crud that's been done too. Superman? done. Seriously though, God of War would be the best mates ever. The mates would attract a lot of attention because pretty much everyone who owns a PS2 has GOW. Also there is not much merchandice of GOW. Last I heard only about 3 action figures were made. Kingdom Hearts would work too.

• 3 months later...

video games that have reached a larger audience with successful (enough) movies: silent hill, tomb raider, and maybe final fantasy the spirits within (for starters) seem to have the best chances of being made. i for one would buy countless silent hill mates like i already do with the BSG mates. but then you might just get movie mates instead of video game mates. darn....

I still strongly advocate World of Warcraft or other MMORPG Mates, who wouldnt want want to have a figure just like their character?

Oooh!

You could have basic bases for them, and have them come with like, three of everything for each character.

So they could be painted over, and swapped, and sculpted, and people could really have their character.

Nice idea.

for wow id imagine that youd get a guy of any race it would come with two different hair peices, two sets of clothes, armor, and two different weapons, but dst would have a catalog of other things you could buy (weapons, armor sets, etc..)

they could also produce accessory packs too!

but how would they do dwarfs and gnomes?

• 2 weeks later...

I think that while most of these could'nt support an entire line, Maybe they could take the cult-classics route and do varius characters in each wave (wave 1 Halo, wave 2 Resident Evil, Wave 3 God of War, Etc..)

I think that could work if they put them in Gamestops and Hot topics and the like....Id buy waves from games I hated just to keep the line going...but thats me.

I think halo would do well but only if it came out in one or two box sets.

First box set (story) : Master chief, UNSC soldier, Arbiter, Elite, and brute.

Second (multiplayer) : Blue, white, red, green, and gold spartans. :thumbsup:

Unless they changed the heads on the Elite and Brute to unique heads. Also on the Elites put the legs on backwards, much like the minotaur custom made by luke314pi, but with unique feet to help it stand better too. That would be sweet!

Also I wouldn't have a gold spartan. Purple is better in my opinion!

• 9 months later...