UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Part Snapping

I've heard a lot of talk about Mates that have snapping parts. I have gotten new Mates and have never had a problem with snapping parts. Does everyone have these problems or just people playing a bit too rough with them? :biggrin:

Yeah I had Kabuki go at the hip. A stealth cylon at the knee and my Sentry variant at the hip. Can honestly say I wasn't being rough or heavy handed with any of them. I emailed DST about the Cylon and later the Sentry variant. I never heard back on the Cylon, but with the Sentry I got a 'Sorry we're out of stock and can't replace it'. Great eh?

ehm does arm joint snapping counts too?

couse the lower arm keeps falling out of the arm joint....thats only on 2 of my 4 cylons

For the longest time I read these posts about broken figures and thought, wow I must have the most amazing luck! I had been collecting since around Aug 2006 and as my collection grew I acquired many, many, many minimates and had never had one break. My Indy's were fine, my GSX Nightcrawler from Target was stiff but (thanks to this board) I was able to avoid breaking the hip joints. Each time I saw a new post about breakage I counted my blessings and breathed a sigh of relief. Then came the Cylons, and everything changed. I had two from my personal collection break and another one or two that were traded away ended up break (all at the knee joints) then I had some older mates acquired in a trade break at the hip with little movement at all. Now I'm hesitant to open my DC Minimates (well to tell the truth, my wife is saving them for my birthday in the first part April -- I don't have that kind of will power any more) for fear that they'll be breaking as well.

I wouldn't avoid touching your mates just because of some suspected issues. Looking at the sheer number of minimates that are floating around the world right now, what we've heard in regards to part issues would be considered a very small percentage. Every line of toy is susceptible to problems, its just important that you're aware of that fact before hand and take the necessary precautions when opening your figures. The arm and leg pegs seem to be most troublesome on characters that feature more than one color painted to the general area (Astonishing Emma Frost and Dark Phoenix for the arms; Nightcrawler and Kabuki for the legs). Instead of trying to twist them loose, just pull them straight out away from the body. A little WD-40 or something equally comparative seems to aid in working the paint loose as well. For the troublesome knee joints (featured on the classic Cylons and the occasional DC minimate), there's really less you can do in the way of preventative maintenance. Just be very cautious when moving the knee the first time. If it feels a bit stiff, then don't try to force it. I've found that digging around the knee peg with a sharp implement, such as the point of a compass, a needle, or even an exacto knife seems to help in working it loose. All that said, you may still run across the occasional part snap that you just can't avoid. In those cases, its still a good idea to contact DST or DCD about the situation. For characters like variants and limited run characters like the classic Cylons, you may not be able to acquire a replacement, but more widely available characters can be replaced.

To date, I've only had three figures suffer from any out of the box part snapping. Two of my classic Cylons broke at the knee, though I was able to fix them myself (DST had no more available for replacement), and a Darktide Wolverine hand broke off with the peg still inside the arm. Any other part breakage I've experienced has been as a result of either paint or glue getting inside the ball joint and drying during a customization project.

Out of all of my mates the only time limbs that have broken is when my dog ate them. I was really upset when it happened to the flash (you one of the hardest figures to find). He just took off the ball joint to the new batman’s left leg, if anyone has a suggestion on how to fix it I would every much like to hear it. I ended up gluing the flash back together.

I have a relatively humane approach to fixing that problem, maxcarnage... :whistling::P

But actually, I've only had one problem with limbs. GSXM Nightcrawler. I took him out, moved his leg frontwards...but instead of snapping, it just twisted without a sound (it was pretty tough to move) and came off in my hand. But that was obviously my fault, so I really haven't had any problems.

My friend's Racer X fell apart when my friend rested his hand on him, every joint broke but the neck. :(

All my 'Mates might as well be related to Reed Richards. They're so bendy! :tongue: So no, mine don't snap.

Glomit