Favorite Marvel Minimate

rickyroma

I have a Four Way Tie:

Variant Sue Storm

Clear Iceman

Frosted Iceman

Gamma Hulk

I'd add Variant Emma Frost, but I don't have her yet....... :(

Out of my personal customs, my favorite so far is Kingdom Come Flash.

Someone likes transparent figures! :P

How did you guess?? ;)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 15 years later...
25 minutes ago, TheMinimateKing30 said:

IK I'm replying to 15-year old thread, but Wave 24 Classic Spider-Man for me.

To me, it's the definitive red and blue Spidey.

Some close seconds would have to be Cap Reborn and Extremis Iron Man from Wave 32.

I think that Spiderman is dated and I'm not a fan of slip over masks. I think the definitive Spiderman is wave 76 Spidey from maximum carnage. Great details on the costume, plus Thwipp hands! 

Just now, Heinous said:

I think that Spiderman is dated and I'm not a fan of slip over masks. I think the definitive Spiderman is wave 76 Spidey from maximum carnage. Great details on the costume, plus Thwipp hands! 

That's fair. I disagree, but that is fair.

I, for one, like the slipover masks because I think it helps certain characters not look pinheaded. I tend to notice, especially more recently, that certain Minimates, mostly Spider-Men, have really small heads in proportion to their bodies. Some of the worst offenders I've seen of this are Marvel vs. Capcom Spidey and TASM2 Spidey. I guess it's on a case-by-case basis, but still.

I also just love the detail and colors on it. Plus, that Peter Parker head, IMO, is just PERFECTION.

I will concede on the Thwipp hands, tho. Having had the Wave 76 Spidey... those are pretty incredible accessories.

Oooooo I never posted in this. Huh. 

I’m giving this to, hail Ivan, this undead bastard:

image.jpeg.a03d47295ae0c43473d28e638ea038c4.jpeg

I love the damage. I love the eye. I love the teeth. This thing is badass and beautiful. 

special shout out to the MCU Doctor Strange from the movie wave which is the best of the MCU minimates for nailing the likeness and looking beautifully detailed. Homecoming Spider-Man too. 

27 minutes ago, Trekker 42 said:

Oooooo I never posted in this. Huh. 

I’m giving this to, hail Ivan, this undead bastard:

image.jpeg.a03d47295ae0c43473d28e638ea038c4.jpeg

I love the damage. I love the eye. I love the teeth. This thing is badass and beautiful. 

special shout out to the MCU Doctor Strange from the movie wave which is the best of the MCU minimates for nailing the likeness and looking beautifully detailed. Homecoming Spider-Man too. 

Interesting.

My favorite for as long as I can remember, and was one of the last minimates I bought. Hail Ivan.

(apparently inserting images is broken. I was trying to post an image of Wave 28 Deadpool)

Edited by Gmonkey2k

hmmm,

this is a tough one but the later brown costume wolverine's have been pretty cool.

the first cable (the one that came w/ x-23) was one of the ones that got me hooked on minimates.

the deadpool/wolverine 2 pack is another.

so i'm partial to those and the marvel zombies box set.

but the marvel vs capcom has a lot of the best versions of a lot of marvel characters and for villians that dr doom just can't be touched.

then there's modok.  i bought extras of him just to have around the house.

There is no way I can pick just one.

I think the Wave 41 Spider-Man + Green Goblin duo is a perfect pack, with my favorite Goblin 'mate and the ability to display him dragging a tied-up Peter Parker all over Manhattan.

Doom is my favorite Marvel character, and I love the classics, so clearly I own multiple copies of Best Of Wave 2 Doctor Doom with his classic portrait and grey armor.

And so very many more!

It's great to see the love for 'base' (to use the vernacular of MMDatabase), as in plain or unadorned, minimates, like the aforementioned Symbiote Spidey from wave 2, though I must confess I could only dream of that figure at the time. I'd only seen the Wave 2 line-up  in Toyfare, a catalogue and of course those gorgeous group shots on the back of those early mates packaging. My well preserved and much perused card back came from the only Marvel minimate pack I had for quite some time indeed. It was battle-damaged spidey and venom, venom without what seemed from Aus to be quite the elusive tongue-head.

Two base body minimates of two enemies, a lovely little vignette and showcase of the form with an intrinsic narrative (that can still go either way) in the form of spider-man's injuries. Like Trekker 42 I also have quite a fondness for zombie spider-man, both for his transparency and perhaps even his harkening back to that seminal battle damaged Spiderman. I feel like it's a earlier example of what makes elhonez suggestion (an absolute favourite of mine for much the same reasons he mentioned) so wonderful, even if the only accessory in Venom/BDSpidey is a webline as opposed to that magnificent glider and tow-line (and more) 

In my young mind that webline was the perfect accessory though, as not only could it hook onto itself (and real world objects!), but it was interchangeable, as (from my understanding then, and now tbh) Venom can also create webs and whathaveyou. I know it certainly made for thrilling adventures at the time, being something Spidey could use to escape whatever's roughed him up or something for venom to use to get the drop on him.

Looking now I see the other half of the Symbiote Spider-Man variant was also Venom. Having one of my own now I see where buttheads and cylonchaney on how lovely mate I had a Toybiz black spidey around the same time that I had these aforementioned mates, if I'd have by chance had my nascent little self been gifted that version of the Venom pack (perhaps even with the variant head!) I'd have probably combusted from excitement lol

On a lighter note, and in another example where the variant is bloody awesome, I think my favourite Marvel mate might be Chameleon/JJonahJameson, for both Chameleon's sleek, 'base' design suiting the character well and also the "storytelling" potential of the minimate (alone or with his perfect pack-in partner! Plain spidey mates will always be iconic so say we all no doubt) in both combative and more dialoguey play. This thread's really making me realise I kind of missed seeing many, many Marvel mate releases so I may well report back :)

Tl;Dr: Wave 2 Venom, Wave 7 (?) Chameleon/JJonahJameson