UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Im giving up smoking....

AdyCarter

Good luck mate.

I used to smoke a lot too. I'd easily get through 20 a day. it's bloody difficult to stop so do yourself a favour and get some nicotine gum or microtabs or something. The patches are okay, but I found the gum was better as I'd hold out against the cravings for as long as possible before having a piece. Tastes like shit, but then so do fags. (cue much hilarity amongst the yanks for that) :D

Good luck mate.

I used to smoke a lot too. I'd easily get through 20 a day. it's bloody difficult to stop so do yourself a favour and get some nicotine gum or microtabs or something. The patches are okay, but I found the gum was better as I'd hold out against the cravings for as long as possible before having a piece. Tastes like shit, but then so do fags. (cue much hilarity amongst the yanks for that) :D

I wouldn't know, I don't smoke nor swing that way(not that there's anything wrong with that.)!

There, someone had to say it! :tongue:

All kidding aside, good luck Ady, my father has tried to quit twice(both times failing miserably), and it was hell around my house while he was going thru that, so your family has my sympathy ;)

I wish you the best of luck, Ady. There's no question about it, you're doing the right thing for yourself and the people around you! After all, you want to live a long, long time and see your great grandkids playing with Minimates, right?

Good luck to you, Ady. I've never been hooked on cigarettes, but I've known people who have struggled with quitting and I know how difficult it was for them. Right now, I have a co-worker who is trying to quit and I talk to her every day and encourage her to keep at it. She's been smoke-free for 2 1/2 weeks now, and though she's still not past the urges to smoke, she's doing a great job.

You can do it, bro. Lay off the fags, for Christ's sake!! ;)

Good luck mate, Just keep it up.

I used to have a habit and thought I quite cold. Later that I knew, I just turned it into a new one. Minimates! Really! :rolleyes:

I'm trying to give up my future habit of smoking... it hasn't started yet. Good luck Ady, I'm sure you can do it.

:teehee:

I smoked for ten years, but I quit successfully five years ago. I used both the patch and gum on the advice of my doctor. The instructions for the patch say you should "step down" to a lower dose patch every thirty days. I did it every three months instead. I used the gum whenever cravings were going to over take me. I also chewed a lot of regular gum just to keep my mouth busy. It took me about a year to quit. I cheated on occassion, but after awhile I found the taste of cigarettes just too disgusting to tolerate.

By far and away the toughest thing I've ever done. But I'm so much healthier now.

Good luck! And my final advice is to avoid places and situations where you usually smoke, at least for awhile. I always smoked when I went out drinking, and I stopped going to smokey bars for the first few months.

Yes, you didn't smoke in the house for fear of damage to your mini's, but your child's lungs are fair game ;):P

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck, I know you can do it!

Patriot

I'll tell you what worked for my other half.

Get a mate to stick one up each nostril for a few minutes (filter end, and don't light them) and then mix them back into the pack.

Works even better if they have a cold.

Of course, if you're smoking roll-ups that won't work.

Jo

I wonder if the Nicotine Fits are keeping Ady from posting... :unsure::P

As we speak, he is in a straight jacket in my garage. When he stops crying and begging for smokes, I'll consider letting him out for some sunshine. :P

Good luck my father just recently gave up smoking after his Divorce with my mom. He was alot more edgy and stressed out. When I am stressed out/cant sleep/worried etc I do exercise ALOT! I recommend if you have time to start exercising it will help you relax and enjoy the day. Definetly get the nicotine patchs also. Manny

Ady, how are things going with the not smoking? Trust me, you can do it and your family will be thankful for it. My wife smoked when we first met and now can't stand the smell of nicotine :thumbsup: I smoked for a time, but it was Scud Missle or my lungs on what would kill me first :lol: Of course I eventually quit during a rough patch, so I have every confidence you can. The hardest thing for you is going to be being around smokers until you get to the point of "I can't believe I ever smoked" stage. Good luck buddy, we're all pooling for you :)