UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

gerg's endless list of custom ideas (which he'll never get around to making)! Reborn!

gerg

Nb: I couldn't find my old thread, mods.

So, I finally got off my lazy arse and decided to order some Minimates, and, after being stuck a while due to customs charges, they wound up in my room, begging to be painted. I set out to make my first of the much-spoken-about Doctor Who Minimates: Rose!

So here she is, in all her 2" glory. In general, I'm really rather pleased with her, and most happy with her hair, but least happy with her face.

Anyway, I hope the pictures come up alright.

Standing before us...

post-248-1170945801_thumb.jpg

Her side...

post-248-1170945575_thumb.jpg

Her back...

post-248-1170945643_thumb.jpg

Highlighting the detail on her jeans. I really tried to emulate the jean texture, with that lighter blue around the knees. The stretch marks are on both sides of the legs.

post-248-1170945666_thumb.jpg

Chest... I mean, torso... detail. I was considering placing the Union Jack on the back of the torso, but eventually didn't bother after I ended up doing it three times on the front.

post-248-1170945739_thumb.jpg

And, the highlight of the custom, her hair. I was forced to make it after I destroyed the (rather suitable) White Queen hair mold, but I really wanted to accentuate the different "clumps" of hair. I went all out with the marker here.

post-248-1170945767_thumb.jpg

The recipe:

Overall, Rose is a repainted White Queen Minimate (go me for not thinking about saving the white arms for when I'll need a predominately white figure).

Her jacket was made from card and some Model Magic. Her hair was sculpted from some air-drying modelling clay called "Das". I worked out a rather good method where I first make a net, from paper, with which to cover the head, and then sculpt the hair. After sculpting, I then take the paper off, and drop the hair in a small bit of Diet Coke whilst drying*.

The face was painted on to sticky-back plastic, which was then stuck onto the face, before endless trying to "fix" it and ending up with the band you see across it now.

All the fine detail/outline was done using a very fine Staedtler permanent marker, with, I assume, a 0.05 mm diameter tip.

*(Optional.)

More Doctor Who Minimates to come soon. I've got another eleven to do before the 21st! Any ideas for what characters could use a 3" body?

That looks good. Well done sire!

Thanks.

3" body? Hmmm not sure, I'd say Cybermen and Slitheen could use the 2.5" though.

Lord of the Rings humans are 3", right? Because that's what I've got. In any case I may not need them, and they'll be useful as customs for a "Godzilla v. Stay Puft" play set I'm considering making for a friend.

Anyway, onto the customs!

First up is Mickey, the sidekick who left and then returned again. In general the figure has grown on me, but to be honest he's just not as exciting a figure as Rose, especially considering he also wears jeans and black shoes. I do think the two work well together, however. Nonetheless, onto the pictures.

His front. I attempted to paint a really tiny "Puma" logo on the upper right portion of the torso, but surprise surprise, it didn't work.

post-248-1171312679_thumb.jpg

His side. Nothing much to see here, just the blue stripes on the arms.

post-248-1171312710_thumb.jpg

His back.

post-248-1171312467_thumb.jpg

Face and hat detail. I'm guessing this was what people wanted on Luke Cage?

post-248-1171312514_thumb.jpg

Recipe:

Mickey is a repainted New Cyclops Minimate. His hat is made from "Reeves" modelling clay, sculpted onto a paper net. His face was painted onto sticky-back plastic.

---

Next is the Tenth Doctor, played by David Tennant. I had quite a bit of fun working on this figure (for example, painting in the details on the shoes), but I don't think he's as successful as Rose, or Mickey for that matter, in portraying the actor. He also seems a bit shorter than Rose or Mickey, but I'm not sure whether that's just me or the coat. My only complaint with Tennant would be his head (face and hair), as it just doesn't seem right. If anyone would be willing to offer advice, I could link to source material. Nonetheless, pictures!

Tennant's front. What I've got now is slightly different than what you see here, as I cleaned up the face a bit more. But as I've already stated, I really enjoyed painting the little details on this figure. Oh, and the sonic screwdriver fits into the pocket of the coat.

post-248-1171312845_thumb.jpg

The side.

post-248-1171312884_thumb.jpg

The back. Unfortunately all the better detailing (ie. the thin straight lines of the jacket) of the torso is on its back, hidden by the coat. I have still been unable to master drawing thin straight lines, although I have improved.

post-248-1171312738_thumb.jpg

Face and hair detail. I'm considering repainting the hair, and making it a lighter shade.

post-248-1171312808_thumb.jpg

General body detail. Here the sonic screwdriver is snuggly in place in the jacket.

post-248-1171312769_thumb.jpg

Recipe:

David Tennant is a repainted Battle-Damaged Daredevil Minimate (hence the red of the joints). His hair is sculpted from Reeves Modelling Clay onto a paper net, and his face was painted onto sticky-back plastic.

His coat is made from cardboard, with cardboard for the [brain freeze] upper detailing (word = ?). The pocket is made from Model Magic.

The sonic screwdriver was made via cutting one of those Daredevil stick thing-ys along the line indented in(/on?) it (about two-thirds up its length). I may go back and sculpt it, but I'm not bothered.

---

Sarah-Jane Smith and possibly K9 customs to come tomorrow. My current line-up of Doctor Who Minimates is as follows:

Series 1//

Rose & Mickey

Tenth Doctor & Martha

Sister of Plenitude (Evil Cat Nun) & Lady Cassandra

VARIANT: Ninth Doctor

Series 2//

Sarah-Jane Smith & K9

Dalek

Cyberman & Cyberwoman (or original Cyberman)

VARIANT: Young Sarah-Jane Smith

Oh, and I'll make sure to take a group photo soon, at some point.

Some more fine work there. Look forward to seeing what's next.

Oh, and LotR humans are 2.5". Only 3" figures are the old stuff (Crouching Tiger, Bruce Lee, Rock mates, etc)

Thanks, both for the comment and info. A Sister of Plenitude and Lady Cassandra are next in line for creation. After that, it's the Cyberman and Cyberwoman, and then a Dalek. Finally, the 9th Doctor, Martha and the variant Sarah-Jane.

Gerg nice designs :P You should attempt a Cyberman, I'd like to see your rendition of him :)

cheers,

Tk

A Cyberman is definately a case of when and not if. Thanks, again.

But now, despite the pics being promised for yesterday (or was it the day before that?), I have Sarah-Jane Smith and K9!

Sarah-Jane Smith

I'm very happy with this figure, as, if I may say so myself, not only do I think she is the most accurate of my Doctor Who customs in portraying the actor, but actually looks half decent to boot. I mean, I must have spent over seven hours sculpting her hair three times, and I (hope) I achieved something that resembles the actual hair style. Perhaps my best work yet - perhaps not - but a picture tells a thousand words (I'm going to run out of these introductory phrases soon enough), so onto the photos!

Her front. I was going to add quite a bit of detail to her jacket, but when the paint started coming out more black than brown (although in good light it does show a tint of brown), I abandoned the idea.

post-248-1171572346_thumb.jpg

Her side. I just couldn't resist making Sarah her own handbag upon finding a photo of her with it when looking for more reference pictures.

post-248-1171572405_thumb.jpg

Her back.

post-248-1171572515_thumb.jpg

And what would a woman be without her handbag? [/sexist] ;) A close-up of her handbag. As you can see, the strap is very weak indeed.

post-248-1171572620_thumb.jpg

A closer look at her jacket and shoes. Once again I had quite a bit of fun adding that extra detail on her shoes. I tried to make them look classier than the Doctor's white trainers.

post-248-1171572530_thumb.jpg

And some extra pictures of the hair. I really like it.

post-248-1171572641_thumb.jpg

post-248-1171572666_thumb.jpg

post-248-1171572689_thumb.jpg

Recipe:

Sarah Jane Smith is an Ultimate Spiderman Minimate with a face donated from Patch Wolverine and a (her) left foot donated from a Mr. Fantastic. Her hair is made from Reeves Modelling Clay, and her face was painted onto sticky-back plastic. Her jacket was made from cardboard with extra cardboard for the detailing. Her handbag was made from Daz Modelling Clay, and the strap was made from cardboard also.

---

K9

Well, he may not be as accurate as Sarah-Jane (he doesn't have a tail, for example), but I suppose I'm really rather proud of him. I'll go straight to the photos with him, as I've included some WIP shots too (sorry for the blurriness in these).

As you can see from this first photo, the first thing I did was to just draw some rough sketches of him onto rather thick card (thicker than I use for my custom coats), based on pictures off the 'net, and then transfer those drawing into actual plans, which I then cut out to use.

post-248-1171573145_thumb.jpg

An inside shot of K9. I simply glued the pieces together, although, as you may be able to see, I used a round wood-ish thing for support in one of the corners. The inside thingies (ie. the bits at the bottom which go into the figure) were constructed from weaker card. Simply said: no wires inside here!

post-248-1171573164_thumb.jpg

The completed K9. The neck of K9 is actually the end of a small ink cartridge, and can swivel a bit. I later extended the barrel, however, to allow for a more supported head. After this I then went...

post-248-1171573090_thumb.jpg

... and added some modelling clay to smooth the body out. This did mean, however, that I lost some of the shape of the head, but... c'est la vie. *shrug*

post-248-1171573109_thumb.jpg

So, onto the final model. Here we have K9's right. In general, he's a mixture of different Marks (mainly due to my forgetting of some tiny tiny details), but I tried to stay most true to his latest incarnation.

post-248-1171573126_thumb.jpg

K9's front. The radar ear-things are made from cutting some pins for the metal, and sticking to some hole-punched tracing paper.

post-248-1171572919_thumb.jpg

K9's left hand side.

post-248-1171572994_thumb.jpg

K9's back.

post-248-1171572814_thumb.jpg

A close up of some detail on his top.

post-248-1171572855_thumb.jpg

A (very blurred - sorry) close up of his face.

post-248-1171572957_thumb.jpg

As a robot, he's just the sum of his parts (ha ha ha). Here you can see K9s extended neck. (It was a while before I bothered to use superglue to stick the extra ink cartridge barrel on the old stub. Before then I just used UHU glue to stick other ends onto it, which, due to my impatience in letting the glue dry, got stuck in the hole when I tested the new necks to see if they were to work. I subsequently was forced to push them into K9's body, and they now live there, rattling around when shaken.)

post-248-1171572974_thumb.jpg

K9 and Sarah, together at last. Here you can see an unpainted scarf that I decided to add in the varient set of K9 and Young Sarah-Jane, considering it was featured in their time with the 4th Doctor.

post-248-1171572788_thumb.jpg

Recipe:

K9's main constituent is card. After making the base body I went and added a heck-load of modelling clay to him. His radar ears are made from a pin and some tracing paper, whilst his scarf is made from Model Magic. His neck is the barrel of an ink cartridge.

---

Oh, and because I said so before, a group picture of the faces so far.

post-248-1171573196_thumb.jpg

Phew. That did take a while.

Edit: Oh, and I was just thinking that other than the Stay Puft and Godzilla Minimates, I might use a couple of spare Minimates to make a White Witch of Narnia and a Pocahontas. I'm just so into those films at the moment (I keep on listening to Colors of the Wind).

• 2 months later...

Well, as much as I would have liked to spend my GCSE making more Minimates, I had to spend most of it making actual packaging. Anyway, it's done! And here are the pictures! Sorry for the rubbish photos (I took them at a local CCG and and board game store as part of the coursework).

post-248-1179076392_thumb.jpg

The front of the packaging. Overall, I was able to make four little boxes, and one retail box. The retail box measures 10.8" x 10.8" x 4", whilst the smaller boxes measure 2.5" x 2.5" x 4". If produced in real life, one retail box would hold 16 boxes: five packs of each regular release in a wave, and one pack of the variant.

I drew the stylised image of the Doctor, Martha and Cyberman Minimates on tracing paper, and then uploaded it to edit it in Photoshop.

post-248-1179076640_thumb.jpg

post-248-1179076690_thumb.jpg

The left and right sides of the retail box.

Nice packaging Gerg... Let's see some individual shots of the smaller boxes. Looks great, though.