UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

cylonchaney's vehicle customs

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny to get a new comment on this thread today. I'm trying to render my latest iteration of the mini Viper right now.

I'm on vacation in Thailand and contracted some kind of stomach bug. Too adventurous about what I eat here I guess. Stuck in my hotel room trying to recover, I decided to work on the Viper to kill some time. I'm at the point of adding detail lines and still need to re-work the canopy but it's getting very close. I think I might do non-retractable landing gear that can just be removed and replaced with a cover piece.

To answer your question, I'm not that much of a comics guy. And I think the Quinjet might be hard to make with the tools I'm working with. I've started to add Blender into my workflow a little. Maybe when I become more proficient with it but I have a lot of higher priorities myself. I might try to do an A-Team van at some point which I assume could also be worked into a Punisher van and a Turtle van. Hmm. Any other vans we need?

Once the Viper is done, the Buck Rogers starfighter is next as I've done a bunch of work on it already. I may try to do the Draconinan Marauder after that so there's someone to dogfight with.

I'm really happy with how my raider turned out and will definitely continue designing vehicles. I find it quite fun. So eventually anything is possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

20230519_170337

20230519_170413

20230519_170316

So there's the first Viper prototype. I will be changing quite a few things before releasing it. But I'm pretty happy with it as the first go. Now that it's printed, I see that I should be able to make the canopy smaller which will be an improvement I think. I'm considering narrowing the body and engines and maybe make the engines a bit longer. As is though, I think it fits really well with the factory Viper MK V. That's about it really. There are a ton of smaller tweaks that probably no one but me will notice. Together they will give it a more polished look I hope.

Edited by cylonchaney

I'm getting to a point where I'm pretty happy with the Viper but some engineering challenges arise. I'd like to make the canopy shorter which would also make the nose appear longer. The problem is that the canopy hinge is basically two tall blocks that slot into the fuselage. This design makes it fairly easy to assemble and have a friction hold at the hinge. However, If I move the front end of the canopy back those hinge blocks will be sitting in air. I can kill two birds with one stone by adding a console with room underneath for the pilots legs. Shorten the hinge blocks to not poke through the bottom of the console and we're back in business with an even slicker design. However, I'm still working on the current canopy and suspect I  may just leave it as is. I think it fits in very well stylistically with the factory Mark V and my Raider.

My latest iteration of the canopy is a success. I'm not going to post a photo as it looks pretty much the same as above. There is a ball shape at the back and a ball shaped recess at the top of the headrest. It now closes with a satisfying snap. That snap has been the highlight of my weekend. LOL

For those unfamiliar, this is the Colonial Viper from the 70's Battlestar Galactica, deformed into a minimate style vehicle. These are the good guys. My first vehicle, the Cylon Raider was the bad guys ship.

viper

I've gotten a bit further along and am working on another revision now. But I did some finish work on the prototype and took a couple of photos beside a more realistic model. The other model is still someone's interpretation and not show accurate but it's a pretty good representation. I had some extra stickers left from when I made the big one and cut them down to fit mine.

This gives you an idea of how much I squished it down. These are both basically minimate scale as you can see from the pilots.

I did end up working on a shorter canopy that I'm quite pleased with but that will be in the next revision.

Someone commented on my choice of modelling tool. I like that I can say the Viper is currently 1667 lines of code. LOL

vipers1

vipers2

vipers3

Edited by cylonchaney

7 minutes ago, Freaqualizer said:

Are you, at all, interested in designing a minimate sized motorcycle? Perhaps it could have flames? 

LOL https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3917036

If I remember correctly it needs to be scaled down to about 60% to fit minimates. Also, it's solid. The wheels don't move. Can't steer it etc. Just a statue. But it works for  posing mates.

I also made flames that come off the back wheel but I don't think I've shared that.

1 hour ago, NerdyTrev said:

Or maybe a flying bathtub for a family of four?

Like this?

Diamond Select Toys on Twitter: "Galactus hungers for #Minimates!  #MinimateMultiverse member Onyx_6 accessorizes his #Galactus costume with a  tiny FF & SS at #C2E2 #C2E22017 https://t.co/GqbgsXGIuW" / Twitter

Made from foam core and poster board, from the dollar tree. And hot glue

14 hours ago, Onyx_6 said:

Like this?

Diamond Select Toys on Twitter: "Galactus hungers for #Minimates!  #MinimateMultiverse member Onyx_6 accessorizes his #Galactus costume with a  tiny FF & SS at #C2E2 #C2E22017 https://t.co/GqbgsXGIuW" / Twitter

Made from foam core and poster board, from the dollar tree. And hot glue

That looks cool! Does it separate or just a prop for the costume which is also cool by the way!

14 hours ago, Onyx_6 said:

Oh, and on topic - Your prints are amazballs @cylonchaney! 

Thanks.

As we saw with the raider previously, it's important for the vehicle to actually fit the pilot / driver it's intended for. So, how do I shrink down that canopy while still making sure a jacketed mate can fit through the entry, all while not wasting a ton of plastic? With CAD tools and 3d printing, we can print just what we need for testing purposes. This is how we gain back some millimeters on canopy length without locking the pilot out. And now we have prototype 2. :)

20230525_231012

On 5/26/2023 at 1:18 AM, cylonchaney said:

That looks cool! Does it separate or just a prop for the costume which is also cool by the way!

Thanks.

It’s solid. Mainly made for a prop for the costume