UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Kubrick Holy Grails

SignatureChoice

I know this is sacrilege but trust y'all may just bear with me, but what're some of your Kubrick holy grails? not necessarily rare ones or even expensive ones, could be ones you missed out on or ones you always liked the look of but could never get ahold of (that now go for silly money)

- I'll start, as a kid I always wanted toys of, then noticed Kubrick provided
1) the minority report spiders
2) the T-1 (with treads and machine guns)
3) the brick camo solid snake/with crocodile head in either Toyfare or a playstation mag (perhaps both)
4) the twins in the matrix line (obviously a pair of them hehe) 

and to give this post a happy ending, I'll have you know I've gotten my hands on 2/4 of those entries! indeed, I was lucky and got a lil job lot with not one but TWO spiders as well as troubled copper John Anderton...unfortunately I am still yet to manage to assemble the spiders, the balls are far too large for the sockets (bhm inbound lol) even though I try the hot water trick

After much deliberation I have decided upon the Panzer Cop ,Jin Roh Ken Roh (version ) . it's perfect.  If you've never heard of the 'Panzer Cop' (Hellhounds legend) be warned ,once you find out about it you may well get hooked .  Incidentally that license (also referred to as Kerberos ) has my favourite 1/6 figures , there are several .

My interest in Kubricks has only ever really been when they made a figure we were missing from the Marvel Minimates line, so any 'grail' has shifted over time. 

I wanted the hoverchair Xavier in order to customise a minimate of him for a while. I was *very* excited when AoA Morph and 90's Havok came out... but eventually, DST got around to all of them. 
Because collecting and team-building is my jam, Kubricks have never been super high on my list. 

Having said that, if they ever made Phoenix or Sinister, I would probably have to add them to my collection. 

Marvel kubricks that just about everybody would enjoy as Minimates are Peter Porker ,Venom Ham & Venom Punisher .  I'm not sure whether I love 'mine'  just because they are brilliantly executed or whether its because I took so long to find them ?  The Captain America kubrick is perhaps my favourite Marvel kubrick.

Metal Gear Solid is a favourite as well . There are some pretty stunning Snake versions ,especially the promotional versions, beautifully painted .

On 11/9/2022 at 6:39 PM, buttheadsmate said:

After much deliberation I have decided upon the Panzer Cop ,Jin Roh Ken Roh (version ) . it's perfect.  If you've never heard of the 'Panzer Cop' (Hellhounds legend) be warned ,once you find out about it you may well get hooked .  Incidentally that license (also referred to as Kerberos ) has my favourite 1/6 figures , there are several .

Oh my giddy aunt bam you weren't kidding with that warning! much like many entries on my list, I always thought the Helghast from killzone, a game of my youth, would make fantastic toys and these panzercops were perhaps a major inspiration in their design (outside the obvious common ancestor) thank you as ever on that scoop!

Also very glad for the additional write-up on those Marvel chases my friend, many here mightn't know those strange lil entries and a very salient point on how the thrill of the hunt can be a big influence of one's enjoyment of the feast, so to speak :) 

On 11/10/2022 at 10:24 AM, Nessex said:

My interest in Kubricks has only ever really been when they made a figure we were missing from the Marvel Minimates line, so any 'grail' has shifted over time. 

I wanted the hoverchair Xavier in order to customise a minimate of him for a while. I was *very* excited when AoA Morph and 90's Havok came out... but eventually, DST got around to all of them. 
Because collecting and team-building is my jam, Kubricks have never been super high on my list. 

Having said that, if they ever made Phoenix or Sinister, I would probably have to add them to my collection. 

I love the morph Kubrick (wound up with him by chance) and had no idea DST had now caught up there, must check him out...one of my favourite things is the Kubrick and mate of the same thing side by side, having them duke it out etc I hope the hover chair was a decent fit while you needed it...I have a Xavier Kubrick and the early AFX wheelchair Xavier you've now inspired me to combine!

• 9 months later...

I feel a bit weird answering this from November of last year, but I’ve got a couple of HGs on my Kubrick list…

First is Beaker, from the Muppets series. Shortpacking him was the crime of the century.

The other I’ve wanted for quite some time and never been able to locate is Spoiler from Batman.

Theres a carded version of Harry Potter in a Quidditch outfit I only recently found out about, it’s been added to my radar.

Beaker is beautiful but is one of the rarest IMHO.   I will confess that until I read your post I had no idea that the Batman S1 Secret/Chase was called 'Spoiler' ...I've seen checklists with the name 'spoiler' & always assumed that 'spoiler' was a placeholder name ....did I make sense there? I don't think it was as rare as Beaker .

Quidditch Potter can still be bought from an online store ( Google it ) or USeBay.

I've enjoyed my Kubrick hunting but it is a very lonely job . It's even lonelier trying to convince people of their beauty.:)  

On 8/29/2023 at 9:35 AM, buttheadsmate said:

Beaker is beautiful but is one of the rarest IMHO.   I will confess that until I read your post I had no idea that the Batman S1 Secret/Chase was called 'Spoiler' ...I've seen checklists with the name 'spoiler' & always assumed that 'spoiler' was a placeholder name ....did I make sense there? I don't think it was as rare as Beaker .

Quidditch Potter can still be bought from an online store ( Google it ) or USeBay.

I've enjoyed my Kubrick hunting but it is a very lonely job . It's even lonelier trying to convince people of their beauty.:)  

I missed this somehow (still learning the forum’s ins and outs). Spoiler was the daughter of Cluemaster. Starts as a baddie, becomes good, ends up being the fourth Robin, then eventually becomes the third Batgirl. This was all pre-52. So… but I think she was brought back post 52 in some way. Honestly the continuities in both Marvel and DC are so convoluted now it makes my head hurt to even try to talk about it. It’s even tougher with younger people who have completely different sensibilities based on where they “start” in their absorption of comics mythology. That’s been made even more poignant these days with films being considered by some to be a New Gospel. To each their own.

There are some Kubrick figures I simply gave up hope on. It was better that way. Though…I did recently make a friend in Japan, and since I started getting the tickle again maybe I’d have better luck going down that road.

What’s your top 3 most awesome “gets” in your Kub-hunting? Oh and speaking of…do you recognize this one? I’m drawing a blank of who he is…

KBK MISC UNKNOWN 01.jpeg

Japaharinet hedgehog promo.......I confess that although I have it I ,again, didn't have a clue what it was. ........Japaharinet are a Japanese band (apparently ?):Dunno:

Favourites ? Jin Roh Panzer ....2 types ....Jin Roh &,I kid you not, KEN Roh. Gorgeous !  Toy Story 'Buzz' . 

The Star Wars line is my pride & joy ,sadly I am not a SW fan but they are sublime .

I found the Star Wars line to be incredibly creative. I have quite a few from many different properties.  I think the first line that really grabbed me was Ultraman. I had never seen Ultraman mini figures before and the Kubrick line delved deep.

12 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

Japaharinet hedgehog promo.......I confess that although I have it I ,again, didn't have a clue what it was.

I didn’t know…and I have no idea how I got it or even why. No recollection whatsoever of having purchased it. But my memory has been getting really weird like that. Too much toy buying over the years. After a while it starts to look like one huge mass with a collective consciousness built to destroy me, particularly every time I’ve had to move.

10 hours ago, Shanester said:

I found the Star Wars line to be incredibly creative. I have quite a few from many different properties.  I think the first line that really grabbed me was Ultraman. I had never seen Ultraman mini figures before and the Kubrick line delved deep.

I’d like to get some of those. And that 400% Ultraman is pretty sweet.

10 hours ago, Shanester said:

Medicom didn't allow themselves to be hamstrung by the rather too simple Kubrick design .

Head (1) torso(2)left arm (3) right arm (4) left hand (5)right hand(6)left leg (7)right leg(8)crotch piece (9) .......9 pieces 

I am told that '9' is pronounced 'Koo' in Japanese , it would seem to me then that the 'Koo' isn't a coincidence .....Koo bricks ?

Anyway you can see from the rather plain 'hedgehog' promo above that kubricks wouldn't have lasted long like that & TBQH there are some shockingly shite kubricks out there!

However Medicom didn't allow themselves to be hamstrung & the Star Wars line in many many instances 'perhaps' look like kubricks but only just :yes:

The Kelloggs line BTW had a secret chase, a Kubrick sized 'Kelloggs' capital 'K' in the Kelloggs typeface , no legs, head or arms ...just a big 'K' .

It was however articulated , it swivels in the centre , Medicom took the trouble to make it articulate for no other reason, it would seem, than they wanted to.

23 minutes ago, blogzilly said:

I didn’t know…and I have no idea how I got it or even why. No recollection whatsoever of having purchased it. But my memory has been getting really weird like that. Too much toy buying over the years. After a while it starts to look like one huge mass with a collective consciousness built to destroy me, particularly every time I’ve had to move.

I can relate to that .  

Apart from 'toys' & outside of this forum I would perceive that I would be considered fairly normal :whistling: ....no seriously . Enter a shed on my farm & you would be forgiven for thinking that you had entered a toy-warehouse which must belong to somebody who is a complete & utter fucking nutcase .

Then there's the comics I bought new in the 70's........help me.

18 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

Medicom didn't allow themselves to be hamstrung by the rather too simple Kubrick design .

Head (1) torso(2)left arm (3) right arm (4) left hand (5)right hand(6)left leg (7)right leg(8)crotch piece (9) .......9 pieces 

I am told that '9' is pronounced 'Koo' in Japanese , it would seem to me then that the 'Koo' isn't a coincidence .....Koo bricks ?

Anyway you can see from the rather plain 'hedgehog' promo above that kubricks wouldn't have lasted long like that & TBQH there are some shockingly shite kubricks out there!

However Medicom didn't allow themselves to be hamstrung & the Star Wars line in many many instances 'perhaps' look like kubricks but only just :yes:

The Kelloggs line BTW had a secret chase, a Kubrick sized 'Kelloggs' capital 'K' in the Kelloggs typeface , no legs, head or arms ...just a big 'K' .

It was however articulated , it swivels in the centre , Medicom took the trouble to make it articulate for no other reason, it would seem, than they wanted to.

“In 2000 Medicom founder Tatsuhiko Akashi and a former LEGO employee created the Kubrick, 2.5-inch (6cm) Minifigures inspired by those included with LEGO building sets.

The brand name Kubrick (and its original logo style) was also created in honor of film director Stanley Kubrick.

Kubrick is a hybridization of “Kyu,” Japanese kanji for the number 9, and the English word ‘brick’. Nine refers to the number of Kubrick standard body parts, brick is a reference to Kubrick’s similarity to Lego Minifigures.”

Not sure if I’m 100% accurate (because the Internet isn’t 100%), but I started using it in listings of extra Kubs I’ve got a couple of years ago, and so far no one has told me to brick off.

I’m curious…what’s a “shockingly shite” Kubrick? Can you pick a couple? :) 

In the first instance I probably gained my 'knowledge' from you in the first place :lol:  As you may or may not realise yet I used to lead people to your eBay listings which were other than just 'eBay listings' . I am a generally tongue-in -cheek , savagely sarcastic poster .......I can tell you quite sincerely that that side of me is well & truly under lock & key in this thread .

Kubrick, the director , & his films are another huge passion of mine , I have some rather nice items in 'ye olde warehouse'  but don't let me stray on to that .

The 'poobricks' ?  It should be understood that the worst thing about them is that I actually bought them ,nobody forced me to do it.

There's the Palmboy line ,several star-like figures which have arms & legs with faces that inspire you......to point a rifle at them . I have them, most of them if not all of them, they are painted with flags of the world etc.etc. I have no idea what they portray & if I had a rifle I would shoot at them.

The Blythe line ....a group of doe-eyed 'girls' in various dresses etc.  A man of my years might well have a lot to explain as to why they are in his toy collection ? I would deserve the question & would struggle with the answer.

To-Fu kubricks..... you guessed it ,a kubrick with a cube of to-fu as a head. All colours, shapes & sizes that you'd imagine would last as a line for about as long as one box-set of 4.  They in fact had 7 series of 5, several specials, several promos & one or two dealer exclusives . I tried not to indulge in them but I fell for it .

I have recently seen some big 400% To-Fu kubricks on Ebay , they are new releases, so when you consider that Medicom has left the Kubrick line 99.9% dormant for several years ...To-fu must still have it's followers.

The Marvel line of kubricks isn't marvellous but the Captain America Kubrick has become a favourite .

8 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

In the first instance I probably gained my 'knowledge' from you in the first place :lol:  As you may or may not realise yet I used to lead people to your eBay listings which were other than just 'eBay listings' . I am a generally tongue-in -cheek , savagely sarcastic poster .......I can tell you quite sincerely that that side of me is well & truly under lock & key in this thread .

Kubrick, the director , & his films are another huge passion of mine , I have some rather nice items in 'ye olde warehouse'  but don't let me stray on to that .

The 'poobricks' ?  It should be understood that the worst thing about them is that I actually bought them ,nobody forced me to do it.

There's the Palmboy line ,several star-like figures which have arms & legs with faces that inspire you......to point a rifle at them . I have them, most of them if not all of them, they are painted with flags of the world etc.etc. I have no idea what they portray & if I had a rifle I would shoot at them.

The Blythe line ....a group of doe-eyed 'girls' in various dresses etc.  A man of my years might well have a lot to explain as to why they are in his toy collection ? I would deserve the question & would struggle with the answer.

To-Fu kubricks..... you guessed it ,a kubrick with a cube of to-fu as a head. All colours, shapes & sizes that you'd imagine would last as a line for about as long as one box-set of 4.  They in fact had 7 series of 5, several specials, several promos & one or two dealer exclusives . I tried not to indulge in them but I fell for it .

I have recently seen some big 400% To-Fu kubricks on Ebay , they are new releases, so when you consider that Medicom has left the Kubrick line 99.9% dormant for several years ...To-fu must still have it's followers.

The Marvel line of kubricks isn't marvellous but the Captain America Kubrick has become a favourite .

This post reinforces for me why Kubrick has been an on-again/off-again relationship with me since 2001. Sometimes I look at them at think they’re incredibly awesome, others I’m shaking my head. Yet I buy them. And it’s only due to proximity (the fact that they’re not widely available in the US) that I don’t have a lot more. Always liked the Pantone ones though.

This warehouse…the visions in my head are something out of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Is there a Kubrick database as thick as this Minimates one? The one on the Kubrick website is subpar.

There is a website Zachd .kubrick which is very useful . There are also 2 Kubrick 'bibles' which are catalogues of what has been produced . If you are lucky you can find a further concise volume which contains nigh on everything , this is the one to get .  

Unfortunately the warehouse is more like a warehouse for a house-mover :confused: I fully intend to slow down in 2 years time (if I make it) & then the fun might begin .

The Pantone kubricks fascinated me purely because I spent my life, up until the millennium, as a printer . 

On 9/3/2023 at 3:28 AM, buttheadsmate said:

There is a website Zachd .kubrick which is very useful . There are also 2 Kubrick 'bibles' which are catalogues of what has been produced . If you are lucky you can find a further concise volume which contains nigh on everything , this is the one to get .  

Unfortunately the warehouse is more like a warehouse for a house-mover :confused: I fully intend to slow down in 2 years time (if I make it) & then the fun might begin .

The Pantone kubricks fascinated me purely because I spent my life, up until the millennium, as a printer . 

Holeeee…sheet. That index…there’s so many I didn’t know about. SO MANY…just like some Minimates that got made over the past 10 years. I thought I was paying attention…I SO wasn’t paying attention. 

Amazing isn't it ?  Big list & I can nearly tick the lot .....but in the scale of things :Dunno:

The Levi's Saddleman is perhaps the only one I'd really like .....a cowboy & his horse Kubrick that was given away with a Levi's garment years ago . Ol' stupid (me) actually has the others in the promotion along with the f*cking garments :blush:.  

Best Investment ? If you believe eBay then the Andy Warhol 1000% is the one ....people are asking between 3 & $15K for that big boy .  I cringed when I paid over £150 or whatever for it. It is cute though.

Buy the Beatles 400% kubricks which used to be around for about $160 shipped from China , they're sublime. I'm never sure what the story is behind them ,they are kubricks but they're never sold as kubricks . Weird. 

Then there's the 1000% Beatles set which are out of my league , they're $$$$K.